PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Clinch First Playoff Series In Six Years

Scout
04-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Broncos clinch first playoff series win in six years
BY STEVEN MAH

The Swift Current Broncos clinched a 4-2 series win in their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarter-final with a 5-2 win over the visiting Regina Pats on Saturday night.

The win marks the franchise's first playoff series victory since 2001/02 when they defeated the Calgary Hitmen 4-3 before losing 4-1 to Brandon.

The Broncos jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead on goals from Cody Eakin, Dale Weise, and Geordie Wudrick and held on despite a nearly successful comeback attempt from the Pats to win their third consecutive series after falling behind 2-1 in the series.

Wudrick's netted his fourth goal of the post-season, and the eventual game-winning goal, when he deflected a Michael Wilson shot past a stunned Rowat who was promptly lifted for Jeff Bosch.

19-year-old forward Ryan DePape cut the lead to 3-2 with a pair of powerplay goals.

The Pats were handed a glorious comeback opportunity when Swift Current was whistled for three consecutive minor penalties to begin the third period but the Pats were only able to score once and Dale Weise and Keegan Dansereau sealed the win with empty net goals.

Travis Yonkman earned his fourth playoff win with 28 saves on 30 shots.

Rowat suffered the loss after allowing three goals on six shots. Bosch stopped all 25 shots he faced in relief.

The Broncos powerplay entered the contest operating at 13.9 per cent with five goals in 36 tries and scored once on five opportunities.

The Pats powerplay entered the contest with 10 goals in 38 tries and scored both of their goals on seven powerplays.

Broncos Head Coach / General Manager Dean Chynoweth explained his first playoff series win with the Broncos.

"Well it is tough to put into words especially when it is our first as a group. There were a lot of momentum shifts in this series and even tonight we kind of sat back there a little and then got into some penalty trouble and they wouldn't go away. Our guys were full marks for sticking with it."

Chynoweth seemed to be one of the only Broncos supporters in the building to remain calm through the string of penalties.

"Well I don't stay calm all the time, I can tell you that. I thought a couple were calls that, I would have to look at the video again, but I didn't really like them. But our team the last two games have been more resilient in that area of feeding off the kill. Our penalty kill was better the last two games in the little things we were doing and the guys seemed to feed off it."

The fourth-year coach explained the approach to the contest.

"I figured they would be a little bit tight to start and I thought they were for those first two shifts, then we seemed to get going. You stress the point that the fourth game is the toughest one to win and we don't have to change the way we are playing we want to limit there opportunities and obviously stay out of the box, that has fallen on deaf ears throughout the series. It is something that we need to clean up or it is going to bite us in the next round."

Chynoweth also pointed out the play of Travis Yonkman who out-dueled Eastern Conference All-Star goalie Linden Rowat.

"I thought he was phenomenal. I thought not having any playoff experience and getting stronger in each game, some game saving moments where he had to stand tall. You said it with goaltending you need guys to step up and play at a greater capacity, our young kids did that on the Eakin line. We had a bit of everything, we like our depth and we are going to need those guys to contribute if we are going to continue to have success."

Forward Dale Weise, who scored twice, tried to put his feelings into words.

"It is absolutely incredible right now. I am so ecstatic because I was so nervous when I took those two penalties I was almost in tears in the penalty box. We prevailed and this team really rose to the occasion when we needed to and that's what we did tonight."

Yonkman hopes this is the first of many series victories for his team.

"It is good feeling, and we need to remember this feeling so hopefully we can get it against Calgary again."

Yonkman was already looking forward to the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

"We are not satisfied yet, it is only one series and there are a few more we need to accomplish yet. Sure it is nice to get the first one under the belt and I feel good and comfortable with the guys but like I said we are not done, we are not done yet."

Broncos Bits: Average attendance for the three first round playoff games versus the Pats was 2,689, bolstered by a capacity crowd of 2,865 on Saturday for game six. 17-year-old forward Justin Dowling was named the Boston Pizza Fan's Choice Player of the Week for March 25th after registering four goals and two assists in six playoff games.

For a complete summary of game five and six and ongoing Broncos coverageplease visit swbooster.com.