PDA

View Full Version : Game 2

Broncs in RD
04-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Pretty good game. Both teams had some great chances Calgary just finished theirs off. What we did so well the first game we didn't do to well tonight and that is contain their top line. Calgary seemed to slow us up a bit more and took away the Neutral Zone it seemed, and the start of the third period was horrendous that was awful. Pretty much killed off any comeback. Getter' back in gear in Calgary.

sbtatter
04-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Calgary looked pretty solid tonight. That must have been the quietest your rink has been all playoffs

O&C
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Dang... im so divided here.... I really dont know who to chear for! If and i mean IF my Canes can win their series then I would LOVE to play Calgary... but my dislike for Calgary wants to see the small town Broncs be the hero's and beat up on the big bad Hitmen....

Toswammi
04-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Both teams had a lot of chances. Difference is Calgary buried theirs, while Swifty just seemed to just miss.

Scout
04-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Hitmen even series
Galiardi paces Calgary with four point game
The Southwest Booster

T.J. Galiardi scored twice and set up two others to pace the Calgary Hitmen to a 5-2 win over the host Swift Current Broncos.
Calgary’s win evens this best-of-seven Eastern Conference semi-final series at one game each. Games three, four and five shift to Calgary.
Galiardi opened the scoring for the Hitmen and he iced the game with an empty net goal. With his three-point game he now leads Calgary with 17 points (four goals and 13 assists). Paul Postma, Brock Nixon and Kyle Bortis, with his team playoff leading fifth of the post season, also scored for Calgary. Brandon Kozun collected three assists for the Hitmen.
Calgary led by period scores of 2-1 and 3-2.
Swift Current replied with a powerplay goal from Zack Smith and Levi Nelson with his third goal of the series and sixth goal of the post season.
Hitmen goaltender Dan Spence stopped 38 of 40 shots to collect the victory.
Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 29 of 33 shots in the defeat.
Swift Current ended up outshooting the Hitmen 15-8 in the final 20 minutes, but it was the second shot opportunities which the Broncos must be second guessing after failing to convert on a series of loose puck opportunities in the final 20 minutes.

Second Period:
The Hitmen started the middle period the same way they started the game, with a barrage of shots that kept the Broncos hemmed into their own zone. Calgary exploded out of the gates and outshot the Broncos 11-1, and their hard work was rewarded when Brock Nixon converted a rebound for his fourth of the playoffs 4:09 into the period.
The Broncos were not down two goals for long, again pulling to within a goal just 2:09 later on the powerplay. Eric Felde’s point shot during the game’s first powerplay was deflected into the top of the net by captain Zack Smith.
The Broncos bounced back on the shot clock and outshot the Hitmen by a 14-12 margin in a back and forth period. Swift Current closed out the period on the powerplay, but they were unable to generate a shot on goal.

First Period:
The Calgary Hitmen showcased a game plan to get more shots on net while jumping into a 2-1 first period lead over the Broncos.
Calgary was held to 24 shots in game one but had a series high 14 shots in the opening period of Game Two.
Hitmen leading playoff scorer T.J. Galiardi scored the game’s opening goal with a shot on net which slid under the stick of Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman.
The Broncos tied that game at 1-1 when Levi Nelson collected his third of the series and his sixth of the post season. Just seconds after a four-on-four situation, where the Broncos had trouble clearing their zone, the Broncos broke out on a three on two rush and Nelson converted a Matt Tassone rebound to tie the contest.
Calgary responded 59 seconds later when Paul Postma skated in from the point and snapped a Brandon Kozun pass high over Yonkman’s shoulder.
Calgary held a 14-11 edge in shots, with a series of quality scoring chances at both ends.

Scout
04-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Molle and Chynoweth comment on game two loss

SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

A four-point outing from T.J. Galiardi and goals from former Broncos Kyle Bortis and Paul Postma led to a 5-2 Calgary Hitmen victory over the host Swift Current Broncos as the Hitmen tied the best-of-seven Eastern Conference semi-final 1-1.

Brock Nixon also scored for Calgary, while Levi Nelson and Zack Smith replied for the Broncos.

Hitmen goaltender Dan Spence stopped 38 of 40 shots to collect the victory.

Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 29 of 33 shots in the defeat.

Defenseman Ryan Molle’s role has increased with Jesse Dudas out of the lineup due to injury. Molle explained what the Broncos need to do to combat a talented Hitmen lineup.

“Right off the bat we came out with a good start and everything. We wanted to change it right off the bat from yesterday when we came out slow. I thought we did that to begin the game towards the end of the period we died off. I was looking at the shot clock halfway through the game and they were 25-12. We need to get more rubber on net. At the end of the game we ended up with 40 but we need to do that all game.”

Molle explained that there have been no surprises from the Hitmen.

“They are what we expected. We know what they had at the beginning of the year and they finished first place in our Conference. Guys like Alzner, Seabrook, Galiardi, and White we need to shut them down and if we do that we are going to be successful.”

Head coach Dean Chynoweth explained the key factors in the loss.

“Well I thought we were a little sloppy with some turnovers that they definitely capitalized on. I liked the fact that we generated a lot of scoring chances. I didn’t think we were able to bear down on some of them but the biggest difference for me was a couple of areas where we went maybe a little soft on pucks that caused turnovers and all of a sudden they are in your net.”

The Broncos have fallen behind early in both contests but Chynoweth doesn’t think that was the most important factor in the loss.

“It is (a factor) but our group is pretty resilient. They have met that challenge. The good thing about these two games is that they should have a pretty good feeling that they can play with them. We have outshot them both nights and we have had a lot of scoring chances we just need to clean up those little areas. I thought tonight we maybe just ran out of steam a little bit. We weren’t able to use our fourth line, they were able to use theirs. We definitely have to get some mileage out of some other guys.”

The series now shifts to Calgary for three consecutive games in the 2-3-1-1 format necessitated by the Junos being held in Calgary this weekend.

Game three is set for Tuesday in Calgary at 7 p.m.

Bocephus
04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Dang... im so divided here.... I really dont know who to chear for! If and i mean IF my Canes can win their series then I would LOVE to play Calgary... but my dislike for Calgary wants to see the small town Broncs be the hero's and beat up on the big bad Hitmen....

I completely agree with you. My distaste for the Tigers and Ice are only surpassed by the Hitmen. Although, after last nights antics the Ice are now 1B. I want to win so bad this year and stick it to all the Canes doubters. Now, back to the Canes board. Go Broncos (whispered) :)

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Last night's game was a little weird. Each period we seem to have about 5 minutes where we were absolutely horrible and 5 minutes when we were absolutely brilliant. The same for the Hitmen. The difference was Calgary capitalized and we didn't. I definitely give the edge to Spence over Yonkman in this one.
I was hoping we would break Calgary's streak of 40 and 0 winning record when leading to start the third. WE threw every thing at them and seriously out shot them in the third but to no avail.
I thought the refereeing was incredible. Both teams played hockey and there was very little bull**** after the whistle. My only complaint was the linesman seem to have it in for Eakin who was tossed from a lot of faceoffs and couldn't understand why.
I wish I could hate Calgary as much as I did Regina, but aside from White I am not finding this series as emotional for "me".
I'm not ready to quit watching hockey at the Iplex so GO BRONCOS GO and bring the series back to Speedy Creek

stick boy
04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
It certainly was entertaining, lots of scoring chances, some big hits, etc. I can't remember not giving up a powerplay in 60 minutes, that is Krazy! Calgary's best were better then our best last night.