PDA

View Full Version : April 6th, 2008 Giants 1 Chiefs 4 - Rnd 2 Gm 2

dondo
04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Listened to this one again and it made me angry. I really don't like it when my team doesn't show up and for the vast majority of this game that was the case. Credit the Chiefs for upping their game as well, but really the Giants weren't in this one taking some really dumb penalties. The Giants PK was excellent though and against one of the top PPs this season, even more so. part of me is happy that we get to see all three home games now for sure though just so long as they leave this kind of performance in the trash bin where it belongs.

Chiefs Club Giants 4-1 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/April_6_ChiefsbkClubbkGiants_217.html)

Chiefs Club Giants
Vancouver 1 Spokane 4

Don Robinson

The score was the same yet opposite in tonight’s game, although one of the Chiefs goals was an empty-netter. It would too be easy to blame the refs tonight for the Giants loss, but the ever useless Derek Zalaski was in his usual showboating form regardless. The Giants were very un-Giantlike tonight taking soft and stupid penalties and found themselves down 0 for 7 penalty-wise. They weren’t skating and they weren’t working and at one point they were at risk of having their lowest shot total this season. The G-Men did not take care of the puck in their own end of the ice and that more than anything killed them. Spokane has a team that can take those chances and make them count and tonight they did. The Chiefs angry at being embarrassed in their first game at home were not about to take this game for granted. But instead of getting mad and losing their cool they did better than that, they got even, literally and figuratively. David Rutherford (know as Rudy to the Chief faithful) tainted his two goal outing tonight, by challenging Chris Cloud in the second and then not dropping his gloves or stick. In the end both players got misconducts as Cloud recognizing that the guy who started it, with Rudy essentially turtling like the proverbial red-eared slider shell tucker, tackled Rudy down to the ice.

The Chiefs opened the scoring in the first when Mario Bliznak turned over the puck in his own zone, giving Ondrej Roman the chance to find Rudy cutting to the net. The game remained that way as the Giants weathered 7 consecutive penalties against, two of them 5 on 3’s, holding their opponent to donuts on the PP tonight and going perfect on their PK. Early in the third Jonathon Blum got his second of this playoff campaign PP marker to tie the game. It was the Giants first PP opportunity of the game at 2:52 of the final frame. Less than a minute later off of yet another horrible give-away in their own zone, this time by Blum, Roman and Rudy hooked up for yet another tally and that was it for the Giants as they seemed to not be able to climb back up the hill after spending all their energy killing off so many penalties earlier in the game and not playing to their strength which is 5 on 5.

Mitch Wahl put the boots to the visitors off of a goal mouth scramble when he tapped a puck past Tyson Sexsmith, who had an excellent night and felt that he had frozen the puck before the goal. Referee Andy Thiessen thought differently. Levko Koper poured the salt in the wounds as he capped off the Chiefs night with an empty netter with 19 seconds left in the game. The Giants were undisciplined and were not skating until the third period. After tying the game they allowed a quick one against which proved to be the coffin nail goal.

Tyson Sexsmith was excellent tonight turning away quality shot after shot and weathering many PP opportunities against, but in the end could not stop them all. His team abandoned him when playing the puck as they were uncharacteristically sloppy with the biscuit. They had feet of stone and hands of lead and it got them into trouble early and continued until early in the third and then returned for the latter part of the third. The Giants were not ready to go tonight against a very motivated Chiefs squad who were looking for the right kind of revenge to their loss this past Friday. Maybe one of these days we’ll get a game in this series when both teams show up at the same game.

Some positives in the game were the play of Sexsmith and the spectacular performance of the PK unit which earned its biscuit tonight holding its team in the game as several beyond lazy players were taking sloppy and careless penalties, putting the G-Men behind the eight ball early on. The series is now a five game series and the Giants still have the chance, slim though it might be, to finish this one up at home with the 2-3-2 format of this particular playoff series. The Giants faithful will probably not be too upset as the loss guarantees them three games at home, but I’m sure that any more lapses like this won’t have them too pleased.

The Giants were out-shot 18-26, matching their worst shot output of the season. Normally the Giants not only out-shoot their opponents, but out shoot them by a huge margin. Shot totals like this are very indicative of how soft the G-Men were playing. The Giants went 1 for 3 on the PP, while holding the Chiefs to 0 for 7, with all 7 penalties being consecutive and then giving the Giants 3 straight penalties. I suspect that even though the Giants were undisciplined that the Chiefs weren’t quite that disciplined and that the officials were essentially on the crack, but whatever. The series continues Wednesday night in Vancouver. The puck drops at the Coliseum at 7pm PDT.

Three Stars

1. David Rutherford
2. Ondrej Roman
3. Spencer Machacek

scrunt
04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
I wonder how many of the Giants' give aways were due to the Chief's forecheck? I understand Spokane has a pretty good forecheck, likely better than the G-men have faced before, thereby causing the D-men to rush things and cough up the puck?

At least we can be sure Don Hay will have an answer to that for Game 3. And no doubt the boys will be disciplined for their lack thereof during the game.

Pete76
04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure if it was the chiefs forecheck or not, but it seemed like the g-men wanted to drive home a point and were really trying to finish their checks and punish any chiefs player on the boards ... which led to a lack on concentration IMO ... too concerned with checking and less concerned with where the puck was ... as far as rudy not droppin' the gloves (c'mon, he is not going to fight in a 1-0 game ... our pp was pretty impotent, blackwater missed a gimme on one in the 2nd period, and I think bowman hit one off the crossbar in the same period ... my wife and kids saw some of the g-men at the mall on saturday in spokane, whomever they spoke with was real nice to my three year old son ... so thanks:) I really wish this was not the two/three/two format ... gonna be tough to get a W up there if we don't score first ...

Smalltime
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
The biggest thing I noticed with the Cheifs forecheck was that they were sending the secondary pressure to the outlet players very aggressively. The Giant D-men made fairly good first passes under some big pressure early on. However, the forwards who took those passes had a Cheif winger on them and one looking to stop the second pass. I couldn't believe how well Blum or Regner would dish out the first pass only to see the Giants forwards throw the puck right into the pressure just their side of the blue line. If the puck was lofted out of the zone to make sure it wasn't turned right over the Cheifs D-men at center ice would gather it up, wait for the forwards to check up, and hammer it right back in. No adjustment was made whatsoever and Vancouver looked like they were happy moving the puck right back into the pressure each time.

It was pretty similar to how the Giants were forechecking and it was very effective for the short periods of time that they managed to sustain it. Turnovers before getting the puck in deep seemed to take that away from the Giants though. A couple of times it seemed like the Giants would be able to push through center ice with some speed but good Cheifs pressure up front and poor timing on stretch passes made for a lot of icing calls. Then the bad breakout decision making was brought right back into it and all momentum was gone.

The penalties the Giants took were pretty lazy and it wasn't until they looked like they wanted to skate in the third that they even had a hope of drawing any Cheifs penalties. The best movement sparks I saw were when the Vancouver D-men spun off of pressure and started skating the puck themselves. This was pretty much the only time I saw the possibility of an odd-man rush shaping up and it looked good.

dondo
04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure if it was the chiefs forecheck or not, but it seemed like the g-men wanted to drive home a point and were really trying to finish their checks and punish any chiefs player on the boards ... which led to a lack on concentration IMO ... too concerned with checking and less concerned with where the puck was ... as far as rudy not droppin' the gloves (c'mon, he is not going to fight in a 1-0 game ... our pp was pretty impotent, blackwater missed a gimme on one in the 2nd period, and I think bowman hit one off the crossbar in the same period ... my wife and kids saw some of the g-men at the mall on saturday in spokane, whomever they spoke with was real nice to my three year old son ... so thanks:) I really wish this was not the two/three/two format ... gonna be tough to get a W up there if we don't score first ...

I see your point Pete but.. If Rudy is the one who skates up to challenge a player you're damn rights he needs to drop his gloves. He didn't need to challenge Cloud, but to challenge a player by skating up to him and then not really doing anything other than that is a gutless move -- imnsho.

Remember Pete -- DR used to be a player here so we are all very aware of the kind of player he is and although he has some nice skill there's a side of his game I never found to be appetising and this incident doesn't really surprise me.

Kudos to him for the two goals though, I heard the second one was especially nice, but I lose a bit of respect when a player does that. You don't want to fight, fine no problem, just don't challenge a player and then back off. That was my problem with it.

Interesting thought about us finishing checks and possibly putting ourselves out of position though.

scrunt I'm not sure if the forecheck was that intense and when you have a d-man like Blum who Hay says is one of the most comfortable players with the puck under pressure, it was probably more of a lack of discipline and loss of focus than Spoke's pressure.

we'll see for ourselves on Wednesday though :bounce: I can't wait yeehoo

LinkGaetzFan
04-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I see your point Pete but.. If Rudy is the one who skates up to challenge a player you're damn rights he needs to drop his gloves. He didn't need to challenge Cloud, but to challenge a player by skating up to him and then not really doing anything other than that is a gutless move -- imnsho.

Although I was happy when Bruton got away with this against Everett, I don't like the precedent that this sets. Players will be afraid of dropping the mitts if they thought it might be a con. I totally agree with the ref's choice of putting both players in the box.

Pete76
04-07-2008, 08:01 PM
before the start of the series they had a nice article in the local rag about D.R. and his x-roomate (your goalie lives at rudy's mom's house) ... anyway, I'm sure it is not fun being a local boy and getting traded away from a team that goes on to win the memorial cup, and then you get owned in the first playoff game... I did think the offsetting penalties was very fair, less fighting and more hockey is fine for me ... and your power play is too good for us to take meaningless penalties

dondo
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
actually pete I don't dispute the call as the off-setting minors was definitely the way to go in that instance -- can't very well give Rudy an instigator when he doesn't drop the gear.

I just don't think it was a very classy move on his part at all, but I suppose we all make mistakes and these are still kids, but by now they should know that if they challenge a guy they are expected to pony up.

I might know a bit more about Rudy than the average fan does as well and that could have tainted my opinion.

I heard about Sexy being billeted by Rudy's parents a few weeks back and it must be a tangle of emotions and loyalties right now for the family. I suppose if both guys do well (as they have so far) that would be the best and after this series no matter who comes out of it, there will be a clear target for their enthusiasm as one of the guys will be out of it.

have to say LGF .. that watching Bruton coldcock Beatch was the highlight of my year -- BAM! -- when I'm feeling down after watching the travesty that the NHL has become I just boot up that video and it makes me smile. I'm liking the coverage on KXLY too .. good news website for seeing the highlights.

LinkGaetzFan
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
have to say LGF .. that watching Bruton coldcock Beatch was the highlight of my year -- BAM! -- when I'm feeling down after watching the travesty that the NHL has become I just boot up that video and it makes me smile. I'm liking the coverage on KXLY too .. good news website for seeing the highlights.

Oh I totally agree. Beach had that coming and then some. I have the youTube vid bookmarked and watch it each time I need a pick-me-up. =P

The incident I'm referring to was with Harty where Bruton baited him into dropping then skated away. Harty got the only penalty for it. I cheered when it happened, but that type of stunt is something you'd expect from Everett and nobody else.

I'm assuming by travesty you're referring to the severe decline of physical play in the NHL? I firmly believe that's why it isn't nearly as popular (at least in the US) as it used to be. It's a major aspect of the game that those who think it has no place in hockey just don't get it. (OK I'll get off my soapbox now.)

dondo
04-08-2008, 10:30 PM
well yeah -- I'm old school. I hate the shootout (no game should have a W just because -- sometimes ties are earned) and I hate that its part of the CHL game as well. I don't like the lack of physical play and checking and I think that the players, other than some of the young up and comers who still have the hunger, are cashing their cheques and not much else.

I think some of the young players who are in that league right now though have the potential to bring the game to a new renaissance, barring the league doing anything else stupid and arbitrary.

The delay of game for throwing the puck out of the rink is horrific. The instigator rule has ruined the heart and soul of the game and made a very fertile environment for cheap shot artists and pests to flourish. Plumbers are hurting top players with virtually no consequence. I hate the two refs as well, one ref can give the game shape -- two refs are frequently calling two different games. Let the players police the cheap stuff, put actual padding back on the "pads" (which resembles armour more than padding), maybe even adopt no-touch icing. They say they want to speed up the game? That'll do it.