PDA

View Full Version : Injured Blueliner Itching To Play

Scout
04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Sun, April 6, 2008

Injured Broncos blueliner itching to play
UPDATED: 2008-04-06 02:34:02 MST

By SCOTT FISHER

This is not how Jesse Dudas wants to end his junior career.

The Swift Current Broncos defenceman fractured his wrist in his club's first-round upset of the Regina Pats, and has been in the pressbox ever since.

Dudas was checked into the boards from behind by Pats sniper Jordan Eberle, who received a one-game suspension.

"I think it was a dirty hit," Dudas said before watching his teammates battle the Calgary Hitmen last night in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal. "Any time you see a guys numbers and you hit him into the boards from five feet away, it's dangerous."

Two days after the injury, Dudas tried to convince the coaching staff he could still play.

"I ripped the cast off after two days, but I couldn't do much with the stick or the puck," he said, adding the training staff quickly ended his attempted comeback. "But we have so much depth and I guess it's better to have a healthy guy out there."

Winger Spencer McAvoy was moved back to the blueline to fill in for Dudas.

The Columbus Blue Jackets prospect said it's been difficult to watch his team, especially during this time of the year.

"It's pretty brutal," Dudas said. "But the only thing I can do is be here for the team and get back as soon as I can.

"It's getting better day by day."

The 20-year-old received a new lease on life at the trade deadline when he was shipped from the cellar-dwelling Prince George Cougars to Swift Current.

"I was super excited," he said of the deal that brought him to Swift Current along with 15-year-old Catlin Foley in exchange for goaltender Ian Curtis, 17.

"We were at the bottom of the pack in P.G., and these guys were going in the right direction.

"And having Dean (Chynoweth), a former NHLer, as your coach, I've learned a lot from him."

This isn't the first time Dudas has been sidelined by an injury. Shortly after he was dealt from the Lethbridge Hurricanes to Prince George during the 2005-06 season, he was forced out with a calcium buildup in his leg.

The St. Albert product has already been fitted with a playing cast and is practising with the team in hopes of returning to the lineup soon.

"I'm hoping to return this series."