PDA

View Full Version : Game 3 @ Calgary

Scout
04-08-2008, 05:58 PM
"Game Notes" provides an inside look at the latest in team happenings, injuries, trades, hot streaks, the opposition and promotions. "Game Notes" changes with every home game! Find related items in Statistics.

Playoff Game #3 @ Calgary
TONIGHT’S GAME: The Swift Current Broncos play game 3 of their best of 7 Eastern Conference semi-final series against the Hitmen tonight in Calgary…The Hitmen evened up the series at one game apiece thanks to a 5-2 victory in game two Saturday night in Swift Current.

The Broncos got goals from Zack Smith (PP) and Levi Nelson, his 3rd of the series and 6th of the post season…Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman stopped 29 of 33 shots in the defeat…The Broncos went 1-3 on the man advantage, while they didn’t allow a power play against in the contest …Despite the loss the Broncos outshot the Hitmen 40-34.

PLAYOFF NUMBERS: Levi Nelson leads the way for the Broncos 8 games into the post season with 11 points and sits tied for 5th among WHL skaters in the points department. Nelson also leads the team in playoff goal scoring with 6 goals and is tied for 2nd among WHL skaters…Keegan Dansereau picked up a helper in Saturday night’s contest to move his point streak to 6 games (3 G, 5 A), while Michael Wilson is on a 3 game point streak (0 G, 3 A)…Zack Smith has tallied 2 goals and 2 assist in his last 4 games…Dale Weise has recorded points in 6 of his last 8 games (3 G, 4 A), while Matt Tassone has points in 4 of his last 5 outings (0 G, 4 A)…Justin Dowling is the Broncos leading rookie with 6 points (4 G, 2 A) in the playoffs thus far…Travis Yonkman has started all 8 post season games for the Broncos posting a record of 5-3, with a SV% of .907 and a GAA of 2.81…Yonkman is ranked 9th among WHL goaltenders in both GAA and SV% so far this post season…16 of the 20 Broncos that have suited up in the playoffs have recorded at least a point, while the Broncos have 6 players who scored 3 or more goals…The Broncos are averaging 33 shots for per game…The team is scoring an average of 3.8 goals per game while they are allowing 3.1 per game…The Broncos power play is operating at a 16.3% success rate while their penalty kill is operating at 72.3%.

PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE: Keegan Dansereau leads the Broncos in playoff experience having played 51 playoff games through his WHL career and has recorded 23 points (9 G, 14 A)…Bretton Stamler has played 27 playoff games during his time in the WHL and has recorded 9 playoff points.

REGULAR SEASON VS. CALGARY: Through the regular season the Broncos record was 1-2-0-1 against the Hitmen…Keegan Dansereau (2 G, 2 A) and Zack Smith (0 G, 4 A) led the Broncos offensively against the Hitmen with 4 points, while Geordie Wudrick (2 G, 0 A), Levi Nelson (1 G, 1 A), Erik Felde (1 G, 1 A) and Justin Dowling (1 G, 1 A) had 2 points…Travis Yonkman posted a .921 SV% and a 2.91 GAA against the Hitmen through the regular season, while Mark Guggenberger recorded an .889 SV% and a 4.07 GAA…The Broncos scored an average of 2.25 goals per game versus the Hitmen, while they allowed an average of 3.75…The club averaged 25 shots for per game, while the Hitmen averaged 37…Throughout the series the Broncos and the Hitmen both recorded 65 penalty minutes.

REGULAR SEASON NUMBERS: Zack Smith recorded 22 goals and 47 assists in 72 games to lead the Broncos in scoring for the majority of the 2007/08 season. Smith also led the team in scoring on the road this season with 35 points (10 G, 25 A)…Dale Weise recorded a team high 29 goals in the 2007/08 regular…Smith, Weise and Matt Tassone all had 5 game winning goals this season, while Erik Felde had 9 game winning assists…Justin Dowling was the Broncos leading rookie in the points department with 7 goals and 20 assists through the regular season…Eric Doyle (10 G, 39 A) finished the season 6th in points among WHL defensemen, while Michael Wilson (6 G, 40 A) finished tied for 7th…This season the Broncos had 9 players that hit the 40 point mark, 5 to hit the 50 point plateau and 2 to reach the 60 point benchmark …The team had 16 skaters to finish the season with a positive +/- rating…The Broncos were an impressive 28-1-0-2 when leading after the 2nd period and 30-5-0-3 when they scored the first goal of the game…The Broncos were 22-9-1-4 while playing at home this season… The Broncos power play was ranked 11th in the WHL this season with an 18.2% success rate, while their penalty kill was ranked 12th with an 82.4% success rate.

ROSTER: The Broncos roster currently consists of 24 players (2 goaltenders, 8 defensemen, 14 forwards)…The team has 3 – 20 year old players, 8 – 19 year old players, 5 – 18 year old players, 4 – 17 year old players, and 4 – 16 year old players.

DRAFTED BRONCOS: Ryan Molle (New Jersey ‘07)…Levi Nelson (Boston ‘06)…Jesse Dudas (Columbus ’06)

Scout
04-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Jon has some great pics on his blog www.jonkeen.blogspot.com of the Calgary Flames practising this morning.

Keens Korner

Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Game Day in Calgary
The hockey club arrived last night around 9pm after departing following practice at the I-plex in the mid-afternoon.

Upon arrival at the Saddledome, it was clear that was still a lot of the reminisce of the Juno Awards held just the night before. The stage was still being torn down, crews were cleaning up all sorts of garbage and empty bottles... the ice surface still covered in black floor boards.

12 hours later, and you would have never known such an event was staged at all. The guys got to the rink in the morning for a meeting while Tim Kehler skated the black aces on a fresh sheet of Saddledome ice.

Broncos defenseman Jesse Dudas could play tonight. He will take warm-up and then be a gametime decision. He says he feels good and is ready to go. We'll see if the coaching staff agrees. Dudas was solid in the first two games against Regina before taking the arm injury. We will see how effective he can be getting back into a much quicker, faster tempo series. I think his game suits this series perfectly.

A little bit of a treat for the guys following meetings. The Calgary Flames held a practice before jumping on the charter flight to San Jose for their opening round best-of-seven series with the Sharks.

For the Bronco players, the lustre of an NHL practice remains bright. They become fans of the game, spectators for a change and really seem to enjoy watching the speed and flow of the practice.

"I wonder if Iggy will give me a stick?" was one of the things I overheard from the guys. No doubt these NHL superstars are held in high regard from the group.

It's almost refreshing to see.

There's no doubt a bit of the tourist element than can creep in on trips like these. For most of the guys it's not an issue. The bottom line is that there is work to do and a mission to be accomplished. I'm sure it must be nice to take a mental break.

Of course, I'm not excluded from this. But for me, it's guys like longtime radio voice of the Flames Peter Maher floating underneath the stands that I get more of a kick out of.

I have some pics from this morning I snapped with my digital camera. For some reason I'm having trouble uploading them to blogger. I'll post them when I can.

We're on the air beginning at 6:30pm with the pre-game show. Brandon Wheat Kings Coach and General Manager Kelly MaCrimmon will be our featured guest.

Jon

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
04-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I hope Dudas is ready. He'd be a nice addition to the line up.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
What did Kelly mac have to say in the interview with Keen?

Johnsy05
04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
What did Kelly mac have to say in the interview with Keen?
He said he fully expects to send schenn and glennie to swift In the offseason for mike brown and a 3rd rounder.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
He said he fully expects to send schenn and glennie to swift In the offseason for mike brown and a 3rd rounder.Funny guy!! Seriously though, anything of interest during the interview?

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
He said he fully expects to send schenn and glennie to swift In the offseason for mike brown and a 3rd rounder.
hahahhahahahhahahaha

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Come on Broncos. In OT right now. Beat those dirty rotten, no good for nothing, outta be tossed outta the WHL Calgary Hitmen.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Come on Broncos. In OT right now. Beat those dirty rotten, no good for nothing, outta be tossed outta the WHL Calgary Hitmen.
Hitmen are owning them, Yonkman's having the game of his life!

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Hitmen are owning them, Yonkman's having the game of his life!
Are you watching or listening to the game? I am listening to Brad Curle on the FAN960. I love him. Wish he never left Lethbridge. He makes everything seem like something. I am on the edge of my seat listening.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you watching or listening to the game? I am listening to Brad Curle on the FAN960. I love him. Wish he never left Lethbridge. He makes everything seem like something. I am on the edge of my seat listening.I'm watching on shaw, yonkman is playing awesome!

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I can't get the game because I have Bell satellite. :(
My hate for the Hitmen won't let me go to bed. LOL
The Dansereau shaft save had me shifting in my seat, LOL.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Danserau managed to block White's shot on the open net....I think Swifty will be wondering who to put the checking line on, Galiardi or White...
Swift's assistant just said Bronco's are very fortunate to be going to OT, thanks to Yonkman.....

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I just want a Hitmen loss. I am not picky how. Just win Broncos. vci34
They just replayed the PBP of the Dansereau save. They even started the goal horn.

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I just want a Hitmen loss. I am not picky how. Just win Broncos. vci34
They just replayed the PBP of the Dansereau save. They even started the goal horn.
You must be torn, b/c you dislike the Hitmen but you must want to play them next round!!!!

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I am not really torn. I kind of like the Broncos anyway.
Also, we haven't beat the Ice yet so there is no sense putting the cart before the horse. The sooner the Hitmen, the WHL golden franchise, is out the better. applause
Although, I am starting to hate the Ice but for different reasons. :thumb:

dondo
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't either of the teams play defense? Some incredible back-checking, great hustle and crazy speed. Doesn't appear as if either squad is playing more than their top two lines. Has Nixon been off the ice? They're going to need to play some of their other lines sometime, esp with a game tomorrow night.

one in a million save by Dansereau .. good to see the zebras letting everything go unless hopefully its a chance for a clean breakaway off of an infraction.

Wonder what the Vegas line would have been for this particualr game going to second OT.. crazy stuff..

enjoy guys... yikes

2nd OT game on!

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:38 PM
You've got to think that after all those missed chances for calgary, Swifty will get one going the other way....

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I wish I was at this game. Curle makes it sound like the game of the year!

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I wish I was at this game. Curle makes it sound like the game of the year!
Yonkman's going to be worn out for tomorrow!

Johnsy05
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow what a save by yonkman he is standing on his head!

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow what a save by yonkman he is standing on his head!
Lethbridge outshot Kootenay 51-13 tonight.
Lethbridge was 4/16 on the PP.
Our PBP guy said Lazaruk made a save on Boychuk that was a save of the year. Lazaruk was the first star.
Must be the night of the goalie standing on their head.

Bocephus
04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo vc124

sbtatter
04-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Whitey deserved it!! 4 point night...

dondo
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
wow -- what a game guys -- I was pulling for Swifty in this one .. Yonkman was amazing.

You have to admit that the goal by White was a great one.

Great chances at both ends of the ice -- hopefully your boys aren't too down after this loss and they get back tomorrow and tie it up. Good luck guys.. great teams, great hockey..

dodywood4ever
04-08-2008, 11:09 PM
If you cant hold a 3 goal lead you dont deserve to win. Should have never made it to O.T.

bronco rep
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Up 5-2 whow. The boys have to regroup. I have faith they will claw back. Go get-em tomorrow boys, Dig deep & bring this back up 3-2. GO BRONCOS GO.

CrazyGeorge
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
The series doesn't end after two loses boys. Keep up the hard work and bring it on again wednesday night and tie this series back up!!!

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
That hurts..............

armypower
04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
that was the best game I've ever been at,man Yonkman was good,
that save on Kozun,Jones coming in relief and winning the game....
Too bad someone had to lose that one, tomorrow night should be interesting... Swift let that one get away with that 3 goal lead....
A must win for Swift tomorrow.......You guys have a great team,I
hope this one goes 7 and of course the Hitmen winning on home ice

dagley
04-09-2008, 12:06 AM
What a treat to watch, I had prior plans this evening but got to watch the final 5 minutes of regulation and OT's. Wow, OT1 was absolutely great hockey and such exciting pace, I say if you don't like that hockey right there...you just flat out don't like hockey. Yonkman, oh boy...I got a little scared there for a bit, flopping all over the place on a few Hitmen chances they would not capitalize on. The second OT obviously was a lot slower, but the chances kept coming. Dansereau's stick on the White open night was quite a chuckle, I thought the hockey gods wanted the Broncos to win this game tonight. Oh well, I have to watch my Flames/Sharks tomorrow, but GO BRONCOS GO!

CrazyGeorge
04-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I am huge Avalanche Fan and they do play Wednesday night as well. As much as I am an AVS fan, I think I'm going to be listening/watching the Broncos game Wednesday Night...GO BRONCOS GO!!!

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
When was the last time a goalie gave up 6 goals and lost a game, yet to be named the 2nd star????????????

CrazyGeorge
04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Something about 60 saves has something to do with eh? Just a thought!!

hitmanfan
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Yonkman probably deserved all three stars last night.

sbtatter
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Yonkman probably deserved all three stars last night.
So true, can he keep playing at that level?

Flathead
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
All I have to say is all you shoot out lovers out there take note that's how a game is to be decided!! Could you imagine if that was decided in a shoot out? Honestly there is no comparison in excitement between that double ot game and a shoot out. I know I rant often about shoot outs but seriously how can anyone enjoy a shoot out over that game last night, you can't. The wrong team won but at least it was decided by a team, playing the game, not a select few skaters and a goalie competing in a gimmick. OK, I'm done, lets tie up the series tonight boys!!

hitmanfan
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
All I have to say is all you shoot out lovers out there take note that's how a game is to be decided!! Could you imagine if that was decided in a shoot out? Honestly there is no comparison in excitement between that double ot game and a shoot out. I know I rant often about shoot outs but seriously how can anyone enjoy a shoot out over that game last night, you can't. The wrong team won but at least it was decided by a team, playing the game, not a select few skaters and a goalie competing in a gimmick. OK, I'm done, lets tie up the series tonight boys!!

Totally agree except about the wrong team won part. ;)

Flathead
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Totally agree except about the wrong team won part. ;)
Lol, I understand. You guys have a good team and a lot to cheer about.