PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Fall In Double Overtime

Scout
04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Broncos fall in double overtime
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos and the Calgary Hitmen went toe-to-toe with their high-octane offenses but Ryan White ended the game with 53 seconds remaining in the second overtime period to help the Hitmen grab a 2-1 lead in the Eastern Conference semi-finals with a wild 6-5 win Tuesday night in front of 7,235 fans at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

The Broncos jumped out to an early 2-0 lead on goals by Dale Weise and Matt Tassone but saw it evaporate on Hitmen goals from former Bronco Paul Postma and Brock Nixon.

Only 1:27 after Nixon tied the game 2-2 Matt Tassone scored his second of the game when Dan Spence failed cover the puck near the crease and Tassone backhanded the puck into the open net.

Michael Wilson stretched the lead to 4-2 when he banged in a rebound off a Keegan Dansereau rush 1:57 later.

Only 48 seconds later Geordie Wudrick finished off an outstanding tic-tac-toe play beginning with Justin Dowling who centered to Jesse Dudas who fooled everyone in the rink when he passed to a wide open Wudrick who fired it home for his fifth goal of the post-season.

Karl Alzner cut the lead to 5-3 with 32 seconds left in the middle frame and the Hitmen on a 5-3 man-advantage.

Nixon inched the Hitmen within one goal when he scored his second goal of the contest 2:14 into the third period, his sixth of the post-season.

Ian Schultz tied the game 5-5 only moments after a 17 minute delay after a piece of glass shattered behind the Broncos net midway through the third period.

After not allowing the Hitmen a single powerplay in game two the Broncos allowed two Hitmen goals in eight man-advantages.

The Broncos powerplay unit converted two of five opportunities.

Travis Yonkman suffered the loss with 56 saves on 62 shots to drop to 5-2-2-0.

Dan Spence stopped only 12 of 16 shots in 31:20 before being pulled in favor of Martin Jones.

Jones earned the win with 20 saves on 21 shots in his first career post-season action.
Broncos head coach Dean Chynoweth explained from Calgary that it was difficult to watch a three-goal lead slip away.

“It is always tough when you have a lead and you think that you have control of the game. We took some needless and careless penalties and you can’t keep giving that type of team those opportunities. I knew when we went 5-3 we were in a game but I might have been the only one who sensed it.”

Chynoweth believes that there were a few factors in the contest that was ripe with scoring opportunities for both teams.

“I think there was obviously a number of breakdowns that cause some of the chances but these are two teams that skate well and have good skill. The shot clock in that building is skewed, always has been, I think both teams exchanged a lot of chances.”

As for the mood of the team Chynoweth said, “they are disappointed and now the group has to rebound tomorrow.”

There will be no rest for the weary as game four is set for Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Friday the two teams will meet in game five at 7 p.m. at the Saddledome.

If game six is needed it will be played Saturday in Swift Current with game seven scheduled for Monday in Calgary.

sbtatter
04-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm not a totally unbiased viewer b/c I'm pulling for Whitey but a few thoughts from the game...

What happened to nelson, he pulled a casper last night.
If Danserau played like that all the time he'd be an all star..
Eakin has improved since he was in Brandon
Yonkman was "all world"!!, as your assistant coach said if it wasn't for Yonkman you wouldn't have made it to OT
Felde was used sparingly in the OT, I thought his speed would have been very effective as OT wore on.

Boy, your coaches will have a problem in deciding who to put out against both the White and Galiardi lines, both capable of scoring lots of points, makes it very difficult to play against the Hitmen.
You guys just need to put everything to the net, Spence looked mediocre at best and Jones was saving them but no Yonkman

RunTheGoalie
04-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Spence was shaky, but the Hitmen D was atrocious last night. I suspect both coaches will have some choice words about both defensive responsibility and not taking stupid penalties. Dansereau and White especially took very bad penalties that the other team scored on.

sbtatter
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Spence was shaky, but the Hitmen D was atrocious last night. I suspect both coaches will have some choice words about both defensive responsibility and not taking stupid penalties. Dansereau and White especially took very bad penalties that the other team scored on.At least White redeemed himself! How about Seabrooks give away? Even Alzner was turning it over. Calgary kept trying that long bomb from behind their net, not a high percentage breakout....