PDA

View Full Version : April 9th, 2008 Giants 2 Chiefs 3 - Rnd 2 Gm 3

dondo
04-10-2008, 01:30 AM
Well the Giants have found out that they can't just trust their system and they are going to have to dig a lot deeper if they want to succeed against the Chiefs. A tight game between two teams who seem to understand one another, but the Giants are failing to capitalise on their chances and seemed tonight to not be able to manufacture those chances. The Chiefs appear to be more able to make the Giants few mistakes count against the G-Men. Should be a good game four, but the Giants need to show up for the full sixty and stop allowing themselves to be stripped of the puck so easily.

Chiefs Edge Giants - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/April_9_ChiefsbkEdgebkGiants_218.html)

Chiefs Edge Giants
Vancouver 2 Spokane 3

Don Robinson

It was pretty tight battle tonight for both squads, but in the end the Giants did not have the stamina to keep it up the whole game, which frankly surprised me. The Giants kept to their system for the majority of the game, but it failed to give them what they needed when they were required to step it up and come from behind. The Chiefs used their speed and excellent stick work to their best advantage and in the end were able to capitalise on some gaffes by the Giants, which proved to be the difference in the game. Most disappointing to me though was when the Giants came out hard in the third, had some great momentum off of some intense work and hard checks, but then the Chiefs scored and the whole Giants squad sagged - playing lifeless hockey for the rest of period. Seemingly not even trying to get back into the game and spending the remainder of the third playing a system Spokane was shutting down and sending in one forechecker, sitting back in their 1-2-2 defensive system instead of going for the win. Needless to say this tactic played into Spokane’s hands and the Giants ran themselves out of time, not even trying to draw penalties with some hard work in the offensive zone.

The first goal has become quite important in this series and is very important for Spokane. Spokane opened the scoring in the second after a scoreless first, off of a very poor defensive play by the G-Men in their own zone. Two checkers went to take the body on David Rutherford and Ondrej Roman went to the net all alone, took the pass from Rudy and flipped it past Tyson Sexsmith on the doorstep. Dumb, dumb, dumb play. Just over a minute later with the teams skating four a side, Brent Regner got the puck up to Spencer Machacek who went in on a perfect 2 on 1 with CPZ. Machacek held onto the puck down the right wing keeping it away from the Chiefs defender and drifted the puck across the slot to a wide open CPZ. Dustin Tokarski had no chance. Rutherford and Roman hooked up for another tally when RJ LaRochelle made a blind back pass around his net up the boards and it was picked off by Roman waiting along the side boards completely open. Roman took the shot and Rudy tipped it puck past Sexsmith with nice deflection.

The Giants would get that back with a bit of help from a Spokane defender driving back to his net and some great traffic in the crease from Mario Bliznak. The Spoke player backed Bliznak into Tokarski who was unable to stop Mike Piluso’s shot from the face-off dot off of a rebound in front of the Chief netminder. Some nice work by Michal Repik and Bliznak got the puck to the net and Bliznak went right to the blue-paint for the screen. It’s a shame they didn’t have that kind of drive to the net for the rest of the game. The first minutes of the third belonged to the Giants as they had bump shift after bump up shift keeping the pressure on and seemed to be pushing Spokane back a bit. The Chiefs managed to change that momentum off of a weakish goal coming from some sharp awareness by Tyler Johnson. Levko Koper wristed the puck five-hole from the face off dot with no real traffic and Sexsmith (who should have had the puck easily) caught most of the puck, but not quite enough as the biscuit trickled through his pads and sat just shy of the goal line. With two Giants defenders standing right there, neither player recognized the loose puck and Johnson slipped in and tapped it past the goal line.

From then on it was all Chiefs as the Giants not only sagged but backtracked with a good 14 minutes still left in the final frame. To be frank I did not think that this team could be that fragile, but instead they went back to doggedly playing their system, neglecting the fact that they had to score to still be in the game. As I said before they sent in one forechecker for most of the period and it sucked. They’d dump and sort of chase, they lacked puck support and although individuals tried to step it up, they lost all of their team cohesiveness and it was their undoing. By the last minutes of the game it looked like the Giants were sucking wind out there and had cement in their skates. After watching the kind of fight that the Hitmen and Broncos had in their game last night going full-on into double OT with a shortened bench, the Giants response tonight really made me sick.

If the system isn’t working and the other guys have figured it out then you need to do something ELSE. Sadly the home team seemed to have no interest in getting back into this one and it was eerily similar to the way they folded after tying game two in Spokane, and then getting scored upon due to a misplay in their end of the ice. I really hope that now they are facing a little adversity versus a team who can shut down their system that they have a few more rabbits up their sleeve, otherwise they won’t make it past this round. Because the rest of the third was in my mind an embarrassment and the boys need to be ashamed for how they reacted to being down one freaking goal. I expect a hell of a lot more heart out of this squad than we got and it frustrates me seeing what we got.

I really would have loved to blame the refs for this one but although it was Kirk and Raphael (usually a disastrous mix) they were mostly harmless. Neither team’s PP looked even moderately dangerous tonight, anyway. I would have loved to blame the young guys in the line-up, but both 16 yr old d-man insert Bronson Maschmeyer (with several quality shifts in the second period), and Adam Basford in for Chris Cloud took care of the puck and their own end tonight and Basford had some decent jump with Henry and Hunt and Mike Piluso got a goal playing with Blizzy and Repik. The reality is that Spokane is a team that will capitalise when you make mistakes and it doesn’t take much. Neither goalie had to be stellar either although both were pretty solid, other than maybe Sexy’s failure to squeeze the pads a bit tighter, but to be blunt the d-men should have recognized the possibility of that happening instead of staring at the sky while the Chief player slipped it in, cleared the puck from their crease. Hopefully it’s a learning experience for them.

The Giants out shot the Chiefs by a mere one shot, 25-24 and that’s really unlike them – except it seems against this team where they currently are averaging 22 shots per game, when they usually have upwards of 40. Credit the Chiefs though, as they had quick sticks, were willing to lay their body down to block shots and were very good on the back-check. The Giants were 0 for 3 on the PP, while the Chiefs went 0 for 4 and even though both team’s PPs were in the top of the league this season the man advantage has really not been a factor so far. The Giants were hitting a lot, but more so after the player had played the puck and several Giants put themselves out of position by laying the body. Don’t get me wrong I love hitting, but they need to pick their spots better and hit for a purpose and not just because. The Chiefs are very quick at moving the puck and the Giants need to get on them quicker and with support if they hope to tie the series on Friday. The puck drops at the Coliseum for game four at 7:30pm on Friday April 11th.

Three Stars

1. David Rutherford
2. Spencer Machacek
3. Ondrej Roman

rinkrat
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
A little harsh on the criticism I would say.
The Chiefs are a good team and are forcing the Giants into small mistakes which they capatalise on immediately.
Like I have said, the Giants have had a real good past couple of years and we can't just expect them to roll over every team. The Chiefs have figured out the Giants. Frankly I'm surprised it took this long.

dondo
04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe .. but you don't fold like a cheap suit at any time in the playoffs and although they played a solid game for the most part, their lack of energy and drive at the end made it pretty damn easy for Spoke to protect a one-goal lead by not doing too much except not make any mistakes.

come on RR -- you can't honestly say that you liked the Giants effort the last 14 minutes of the third can you? You can't say the whole team did not physically sag after Spoke went up by one.

I love this team, but that kind of fragility has no place in games like this one or in the playoffs at all. I want to see them fighting tool and nail down the stretch forcing the issue not laying in the weeds waiting for a mistake to happen. Where's the forecheck as a team, instead of a one guy? Where's the desire to drive the net, there were flashes, but not nearly enough. I'll take the losses when they come, but to watch my team (esp a Don Hay coached team) lay down like that did make me sick. So no from my perspective it wasn't harsh at all.

But that's my perspective, I'd love others to tell me what they saw, because in the post-game interview Don Hay thought the same thing -- he just stated it a bit more diplomatically.

sman111
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
In my opinion that was the worst 10 min of Giants hockey I've seen in along time, it just seemed like the team totally gave up after Spke took the lead. The effort at the end of the game was pathetic it seriously looked like I was watching the Canucks out there. But heres to a better 60 min effort on Friday and a Giants win!!

johnnyradiant
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought game 2 was dedicated to the Canucks. You're not suggesting that their dedicating the series to the 'nucks I hope.

Teacher
04-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Why would Don Hay go with a 5'9, 160lb 1991 born from Saskatchewan, over his first round pick Spooner, and why is Linden Saip not rostered for the Giants? Just wondering

rinkrat
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
come on RR -- you can't honestly say that you liked the Giants effort the last 14 minutes of the third can you? You can't say the whole team did not physically sag after Spoke went up by one.

Ya they could've had a better third period. But guess what? There is another team out there that forces errors on the Giants part. They want this just as bad as our boys.
I'm not willing to throw our boys under the bus like some Orca fan, or take it personally when they lose.
This is my team and I will continue to stick with them. Rain or shine.
They've given us a great run these past years and I don't expect them to win every year. The have already had a succesful season any more is gravy IMO :thumb:

KB14
04-10-2008, 04:16 PM
I didn't agree with Hay on sitting Cloud & Nunn over Basford & I thought Maschmeyer played a real good game. He moved the puck quick, played a physical game & was the least of the team's problems last night. I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the lineup for game 4 & he played much better than Schneider has, anytime I've seen him.

I was very disappointed in the lame turnout. The fans of this city should turn out & support a winner. Hopefully, Friday & Saturday there will be at least 10,000 to watch great hockey.

The last 15 min or so was tough to watch. The goal took all the enthusiasm out of them. They really didn't play a good game. There were spurts of greatness, followed by spurts of individuality.

I expect the Giants to come out much harder Friday, but I expected that last night. Spokane is a great team & I don't think anyone expected the Giant's to win all 3 at home. They better win the next 2, because it won't be easy in Spokane.

GiantDave
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
My two cents on game #3....

I think it showed something for the giants to battle back twice after Spokane went up by a goal... having said that, after the Chiefs scored the 3-2 goal, it seemed to me there was one team on the ice and 5 "pilons" wearing Giants jerseys... there was no life or energy from any of the skaters in the 3rd. Give credit where credit is due to Spoke for doing what they had to do and play for the win, however Vancouver's been in too many big games to roll over like that.

Hopefully we come out with a full 60 minute effort on Friday OR this series will sadly end on Saturday night.

One other thing... Who would you rather see as the 6th d-man for game #5... Nashmeyer (sp) or Schneider... My vote would be for Nashmeyer... He didn't look as bad in his own end as Schneider has in too many games.

KB14
04-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Maschmeyer would be my choice.

Kassian
04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd take Maschmeyer quite easily. He's looked much better in just one game than Schneider has all season long.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Obviously Don thinks Schneider would get skinned alive by the quick Spoke forwards. May as well go with Mash again, he looked okay to me the other night.

TwoBits
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Why would Don Hay go with a 5'9, 160lb 1991 born from Saskatchewan, over his first round pick Spooner, and why is Linden Saip not rostered for the Giants? Just wondering

Gee, I didn't know being from Saskatchewan was considered such a detriment. :D Isn't he actually from Alberta?

rinkrat
04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Gee, I didn't know being from Saskatchewan was considered such a detriment. :D Isn't he actually from Alberta?

Ya he's actually from Alberta, Bruderheim, AB to be exact. Where ever that is. I think Regner is buddies with him.
I'm not really sure about the Saskatchewan comment came from :spineyes:
I'm guessing its a friend or relative of Spooner. However Spooner is 15 years old.

EDIT...

He played Midget in FORT Saskatchewan,which is really close to Edmonton.
There's our geography for the day. ;)

dondo
04-12-2008, 01:11 AM

I think cause he's really fast -- and he looked good again tonight. Very solid making the smart play and pretty calm with the puck, not much panic in the kid. I'd play Schneider or even Spooner versus Seattle but not Spokane. Oh and sorry if you are family or something, but Saip sucks.. he's slow and does not make smart moves with the puck as far as I have witnessed.

I like how the Giants proved my point for me tonight as to if my analysis was too harsh. Just cause they pissed me off doesn't mean that I am not with them still heart and soul. As I said had we taken the loss with effort on our part no problem (well maybe not no problem, but understandable :D ) -- remember the game versus Spoke in Oct -- we lost 2-0 and one goal was an empty netter and it was probably one of the best games to watch of the season.

RR - When your team does not put in the effort you know they have in them and gives in without much reason then I have a right, nay a responsibility, to lambaste them for something they already know. That does not mean that I don't care it means I care too much maybe.