PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi

howley
04-10-2008, 06:55 PM
CBC reported he is playing tonight in his first playoff game against the Flames. Replacing tough guy Jody Shelley. Nothing against Seto but I'd think the Sharks would want to keep the tougher guy in against the much grittier flames. I guess that's why my name isn't Ron Wilson though.

I know there aren't alot of big time NHL fans here but I have to say I love playoff time.

hobster
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I would rather have Seto in, he can crash and bang. Shelly is more of a liabillty than Seto is Seto hits hard and can score thats a no brainer of a move in my opinion. GO SHARKS GO :groovy:

howley
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I just can't see Seto dropping his gloves or taking out Phaneuf, Vandermeer, Regehr, Godard. Having Shelley in the lineup keeps the Flames in check a little bit. It ends up that CBC reported it wrong anyways. Shelley is in the lineup tonight.

I honestly think Shelley is more valuable against the Flames than Seto would be. Just my opinion. Now if he plays the next game and comes out with 2-3 goals...I'll eat my words.

hobster
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Jodi Shelly is a girls name anyways who's the real tough guy, and plus you don't need just fighting in the playoffs you need responsible guys who are gonna back check put up the points and hit hard and thats what seto brings to the table.

CJSenterprise4
04-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Setoguchi should definitely be in the line-up. He could replace a couple guys the Sharks have in right now. They need more speed and to score. Did anyone see the pats/broncos series? Same goes for the NHL and plus the Sharks are a big team to start with. Shelley should not be dressed as he is an AHL player and Setoguchi actually brings an all rounded game to the table.

howley
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
You can not tell me that Shelley isn't playing an important role for the sharks against a grittier flames team. I think if Shelley wasn't in the line up the Flames would start taking a few liberty's as the Sharks wouldn't really have anyone to answer the bell. I know, I know, Pavelski and Clowe can chuck'm but they aren't going to stand a chance against a guy like Godard. Of course Seto is going to bring more offense than Shelley is. That's his game.

I just think the Sharks could benefit more from an enforcer then another average offensive player. Yes I said average. This is the NHL folks, Seto is good and will have a pretty good NHL career, but he's no Dynamo rookie. He would fall in around the same rookie PPG average as Tyler Kennedy, Mason Raymond, Danny Carcillo(300 PIM's), Dave Bolland, Curtis Glencross, David Krejci (who ended the season extremely hot), Ville Koistinen, Clarke MacArthur.

I'm not saying they shouldn't play him, I'm not saying he isn't valuable and I'm not saying he won't play in game 3 (which I think he will for a number of reasons). All I'm saying is that I understand why Wilson would pick Shelly over Seto...for the first two games anyways.

I think seto will play game 3 because
#1 - it's pretty close to his home town, meaing lots of friends and family (if he plays) and also it's his first playoff game. With those two elements combined I'd bet he would have a pretty big jump in his step and create some decent scoring chances.

#2 - I think the Flames on the road are grittier and tougher than the Flames at home. Shelley wouldn't be as important because of it.

The only reason I see Shelly staying in is because they won game 2 with him in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality.

hobster
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Well i like how your not bias towards a former Blade thats cool i have my own opinion is all i just think Setoguchi has a more overall game compared to Shelly .

On a side note i was watching the Detroit Nashville game this afternoon and i had to laugh when i heard pierre maguire say Martin Erat can bring that physicle side to him he picked that up from former bench coach Brent Sutter of the WHL i was like ok Erat played there 25 regular season games and playoffs and played here for 2 and a half seasons in Saskatoon vci34 oh boy pierre loves Brent Sutter.

howley
04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Pierre is insane sometimes. Also PJ Stock...ugh...

anyways, speaking of former Blades, Mike Green is continuing to light it up. Good to see

CJSenterprise4
04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Pierre gets all crazy over any little thing for people he likes and Stock? If this guy knew anything about hockey maybe he would still be playing. Mike Green has been a MONSTER this year and thats great to see.

howley
04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Setoguchi IS starting tonight. Atleast that is what CBC reports. I didn't hear who was sitting but I'm assuming Shelly. I'd like to see Seto go out and do some damage tonight!

howley
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Rismiller and former Moose Jaw Warrior Curtis Brown are out. The arguement is settled and we all win. Seto is in, Shelley is in. I'd like to point out that Shelley started on the first line with Thornton though. Hahah. :P

hobster
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I would like to point out Setoguchi was a factor in the game tieing goal by Cheechoo lol

howley
04-16-2008, 12:37 AM
hah, saw that coming. Seto played very good tonight I thought, 4-5 shots, 1 assist. he looked good out there. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play the rest of the Sharks games.

LifelongChiefsFan
04-16-2008, 01:09 AM
hah, saw that coming. Seto played very good tonight I thought, 4-5 shots, 1 assist. he looked good out there. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play the rest of the Sharks games.

He'd better. He played inspired hockey and won several battles along the boards to keep the puck in Calgary's zone which eventually led to Cheechoo's tying goal. That play completely turned the game around. As good as Riss and CBrown are at their positions, neither could've done what Seto did to make that goal happen.

Way to go Devin! :thumb:

CJSenterprise4
04-16-2008, 06:47 PM
did all the great work to set up the 2nd and game tying goal. I really like Seto and hope he plays next game and scores a couple goals!!! Maybe Dustin Boyd can get in the line-up for the Flames.

hobster
04-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Setoguchi's style of play is nothing new to me it was a real treat to watch the kid play when he was on the Blades.Now i hate t bring up the past here but it is still mind boggeling that Brent Sutter never kept Setoguchi on team Canada for the WORLD JUNIORS, 2 years in a row.

Tidball
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
No nerves no worries. He went out and did his thing. He was one of the top 3 sharks that game. Clowe and Marleau(who IMO has beena warrior all series) were the best Sharks. Its a shame that puck hopped his stick right after that Ovechkin like deke. Seto was doing everything right and got put on the ice more as the game went on. He really deserves another game. clrkthj

Tidball
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Setoguchi's style of play is nothing new to me it was a real treat to watch the kid play when he was on the Blades.Now i hate t bring up the past here but it is still mind boggeling that Brent Sutter never kept Setoguchi on team Canada for the WORLD JUNIORS, 2 years in a row.

He actually looked weak in the first day of camp.

hobster
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
I think we can close this thread Setoguchi kind of just sent Calgary golfing haha.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I think we can close this thread Setoguchi kind of just sent Calgary golfing haha.Why would you want the thread closed? Setoguchi is making a name for himself for sure, I would like to think that those stints in the AHL helped him. So maybe he could crack the roster full time next season!!!

hobster
04-23-2008, 09:48 AM
When i say close the thread i mean he has proved his point and deserves too play in every game from now on .All you had to do is look at m ast post's and you woulda found that out.