PDA

View Full Version : Rockets fan roughed up by security

nivek_wahs
04-12-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/stories_local_sports.php?id=102943

Rockets fan roughed up by security
By CHUCK POULSEN
Friday, April 11, 2008

One of the Kelowna Rockets‘ best-known and most vocal fans says he wants compensation for allegedly being roughed up by Prospera Place security at a game last month.
The incident apparently occurred because a sensitive-minded referee wanted Frank Beekman to stop yelling at him.
Beekman, a season ticket holder, has hired a lawyer to represent him, claiming several security people at the March 24 game caused injuries that have kept him off work as a carpenter.
“Mr. Beekman is a very vigorous Rockets‘ fan,” said his lawyer, Paul Hergott. “He‘s fairly well known to other fans as being boisterous.
“If you went to the arena during a game and showed them a picture of Mr. Beekman, many people would recognize him.”
Beekman wishes to have Hergott tell his side of the story because the issue might wind up in court. Hergott, of course, wasn‘t there, but this is the background he has provided.
Some time ago, Beekman was talked to by International Crowd Management, which handles security at Prospera, about the way he cheered for the Rockets. There was a problem with him pounding on the glass to distract opposing players as they skated by.
“They talked with him, and he agreed not to do that again,” said Hergott. “Everybody seemed to be happy.”
Beekman then refined his attempts to throw visiting players off their game.
“Instead of pounding on the glass, Mr. Beekman changed his antics to running up to the glass without touching it when opposing player went by in order to disrupt their concentration,” said Hergott.
“I haven‘t seen this myself, but I imagine it might be somewhat effective.”
Beekman is also known for getting on the refs if they make a call that goes unfairly against the home team.
“On this evening, he was particularly vocal with the refs,” said Hergott. “At one point, the refs put up a strip of black tape between the panels because they were so bothered.”
Undeterred, Beekman kept after the refs.
Beekman had gone to the bathroom when he was greeted by at least three security people.
“I understand those three gentleman seemed somewhat intimidating,” said Hergott. “One was wearing leather gloves and he was flexing the knuckles. Mr. Beekman was feeling intimidated and wanted to stay in the public eye rather than going with the security people to a foyer.”
Hergott said he didn‘t believe there were verbal threats from the security people nor, according to a witness he has spoken with, was Beekman abusive.
“But they eventually grabbed him and moved him out those doors,” said Hergott.
“He was put on the floor, face down,” said Hergott. “I understand it wasn‘t done terribly gently. These big guys held him down the way big bouncer kind of guys do. They put their knee on your shoulder or neck, bracing the arm or what not.”
Eventually, police showed up and Beekman was permitted to leave.
Beekman said he hasn‘t been back to work yet and is undergoing physiotherapy.
“He‘s a reluctant litigant,” said Hergott, “but he has suffered some income loss and will continue to. Who knows to what extent or how long it will take for his injuries to resolve?
“The last thing Frank Beekman wants is to sue anybody. He hopes he doesn‘t have to do that. He holds the Rockets in the highest of regard, and that hasn‘t changed at all.”
Rockets‘ vice-president Gavin Hamilton said it‘s primarily an issue for Prospera Place, and the team feels caught in between.
“We‘re kind of in the middle,” said Hamilton. “Frank is a longtime fan, and everybody in that section knows him. From what I understand from the people calling me in support of Frank, he wasn‘t banging on the glass.
“We didn‘t have any problem with him yelling at the ref, as long as he‘s not swearing. Apparently, some of the things he says are quite funny.
“The referee in chief told me one night that that‘s part of the game, and they have to learn to take it.”
Rockets‘ president Bruce Hamilton was not available for comment. However, it was suggested to Gavin that there is some humourous irony in all of this because Bruce is well known for thundering out at refs he thinks have made a mistake. His voice would boom off the walls at the old Memorial Arena.
“He (Bruce) has probably calmed down over the years,” said Gavin with a laugh. “Or maybe because this rink is a lot bigger than Memorial Arena, you don‘t hear him as clearly.”
Calls were not returned by International Crowd Management. Prospera Place general manager Dean Clarke was not available for comment.

Jimmy
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
With all due respect to Rocket fans, this guy sounds like a douche.

If one of the Giants' most well-known fans was famous for trying to spook opposition players by running up to the glass to try and throw them off their games, I would be embarrassed. I wouldn't doubt half his section hopes for him to face-plant asap on one of these "runs".

Of course, I'm not a fan of "giving it to the ref" either.