PDA

View Full Version : With all the negativity about the franchise...

Redwic
04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
... I think it's pretty cool to watch Brandon Dubinsky playing in the NHL playoffs, while many of his so-called "more talented" peers are still stuck in the minors (or worse).

I personally wasn't a fan of Dubinsky in the WHL, but Portland fans should be proud that one of their former players is finding success in the NHL.

With all the drama surrounding the Portland Winter Hawks, I thought that a positive story was worth mentioning to lighten the mood a little.

LifelongChiefsFan
04-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Portland always does an excellent job of developing players and making them ready for the NHL game. Obviously Dubinsky is doing well. Another solid defenseman who improved dramatically this year is Braydon Coburn. He had a very good year on the Flyers' back-end. Add to that other players who had or continue to have good careers like Morrow, Scatchard, Isbister, Deadmarsh among many others and I think you can make the case that Portland has put more talent in the NHL than any other dub team since 1990. It really is cool to see, and it would be devastating if they move. Hopefully logic prevails and Portland stays put.

Ams4life
04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I think that EVERY U.S. team should be doing all that they can to keep the Winterhawks in Portland becasue it truly makes less travel for us, makes good rivalries, and makes for good diversity in the league! Nobody wants to see this team leave! They have been a success in the past and there is NO reason that they can't be one in the future! Good Luck

Sorcere
04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
We don't want the team to go anywhere either. There has been quite a bit of talk about Salem being a possibility. While I think it would be great for Salem to someday get a franchise, I wouldn't want it at the expense of our team. Issue upon issue seems to compound around here, if it isn't one things its another. The bottom line is we need to sell more seats and deal with our lease until it expires in 2013. However, to sell more seats we need to be winning more games. I remember saying to myself at the preseason Everett and Tri-Cities tournaments that it couldn't be any worse than last year. Pretty much all the US division fans I spoke with agreed with that...

I feel confident that I will say that again at the tournaments near the end of Summer again, and I feel confident that other US Division fans will agree again. But this time, I think we all be correct. Obviously, the team needs a shake up among all the parts of the organization, but we all hope it will be a positive one.

At any rate, the Conference finals are almost upon us, I am hoping that either Spokane or Tri-Cities will bring home the WHL Trophy followed by a Memorial Cup. Big ups for the US Division!