PDA

View Full Version : Benny Released

Tiger Trauma
04-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Jordan Bendfeld’s path to professional hockey no longer leads through Phoenix.

The co-captain of the Medicine Hat Tigers was recently informed he was released by the Phoenix Coyotes — the club that selected the rugged defenceman in the fifth round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

“I am not shocked,” said Bendfeld, who is back at home on his family farm near Leduc. “I created my own problems throughout the year.

“I never really played up to my potential. It is my fault. I have to use it as motivation for next year.”

This past season, Bendfeld appeared in all 72 games for the Tigers for a second straight season. He recorded six goals, 19 assists and a plus-eight rating in the plus-minus category. His statistics were a little down from the nine goals, 21 assists and the plus-15 rating he put up during the Tigers WHL championship year a season earlier.

Bendfeld said the Coyotes told him they didn’t believe he was ready for the NHL. The stay-and-home rearguard, who stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 222 pounds, also felt his play stagnated.

On the back end, Bendfeld is known for making simple plays of just chipping the puck out of his zone. He believes he needed to show more in his game.

“I never really stepped my game up to the next level,” said Bendfeld, who had a career high 162 penalty minutes last season. “I have to make sure I work hard for the future.

“I have to make sure I come out a little more intense for each game and show them what I’ve got.”

Tigers associate coach Shaun Clouston admitted Bendfeld had a lot to deal with this past season. The rearguard logged a lot more ice time with the team in all situations and played against the opposition’s top two lines on a regular basis. He also had to deal with his new leadership role as one of the team’s co-captains with now graduated overage forward Daine Todd.

“I think he handled some of those adjustments very well,” said Clouston. “I think it is great that he recognizes that in some of those areas he didn’t adjust as well as he needed to.

“I do think there were times that he got away from the basics. You always have to know who you are as a player.

“I think that Jordan Bendfeld always needs to be a rugged, aggressive, physical, mean hockey player. I think there were times this year, because he was working and trying to get better in other areas of his game, that he forgot that just a little bit.”

It is possible but not likely Bendfeld could be selected in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, which runs June 20-21 in Ottawa. Next season, he could be one of four overage players to head to Tigers training camp including forwards Brennan Bosch, Sean Ringrose and Swede Mikael Ahle’n.

Clouston still believes Bendfeld can have a career in the professional ranks and that the release from Phoenix should be viewed as a stumbling block.

“Maybe this is the best thing that could have ever happened to Benny,” said Clouston. “He is a great junior hockey player.

“There are things that separate great juniors from pros. It is one thing to be a good junior hockey player, but most guys, unless you are extremely talented, really have to dedicate themselves to make that next step.”

NOTE – On Wednesday, Medicine Hat product Matt Keetley made 25 saves as his Quad City Flames earned a 1-0 home ice victory over the Houston Aeros in American Hockey League action.

The shutout was a first for the former Tiger goaltender in the professional ranks.

In his first season in Quad City, Keetley has put together a 10-7-3 record with a 2.21 goals against average and a .917 save percentage. He is joined on the AHL Flames by fellow former Tigers teammate rearguard Gord Baldwin.

Tiger Trauma
04-14-2008, 01:06 AM
*Bump*

Boogaard'd Boogaard'd Boogaard'd
slow server:(

grainbear
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
that is not something i wanted to hear. Sorry but Benny deserves better, If he is back next year we will certainly see another stepup in his game. Too good a player from a Canes perspective to see him not advance to the next level