PDA

View Full Version : Sean Avery's new type of screening the goalie

hurricaneflag7
04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't like it....and the ref should have called a penalty on the play because there is a rule in the nhl rule book that says that sort of thing is not allowed.......

was just wondering what your guys' opinion is on it :)

SectionNDeserter
04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I think that it is incredibly brainless of any player to intentionally put themselves in a position like that, where they cannot see the point shot screaming at them, especially in this day and age where pretty much every NHL defenseman has a hard shot. It is just like the mandatory helmet rule, it is in place for the safety of the players. If there isn't a rule against this already, then there really should be, to protect the 'slow kids' of the NHL like Avery.

howley
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
The NHL jumped all over it and put an end to anything else like that happening. Alot of people are upset the NHL got involved but if they didn't, then what would have happened. IMO it would have become alot more common. Hollweg, Ruutu, etc would not think twice about it I don't think. Avery is an agitator, he pisses me off, but when I saw him do that I had to laugh cause the "agitation" is on a whole other level. It looked like his own player was trying to get him to stop.

As far as the safety, I guess if he puts himself in that position it's his own fault. Personally I wouldn't be to excited about exposing the back of my knee's to 95-100 mph slap shots but that's just me, maybe I'm a wuss.

TwoBits
04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Not to mention, he looked like an idiot! I think the League wasted no time in ruling it a 2 minute penalty. At least that's what I think I heard. Good thing he didn't try that on a Ron Hextall, Ray Emery, or Patrick Roy type, he'd still be removing lumber from between his teeth, or what was left of them. :laugh:

WestLEAFfan
04-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Time for Shanahan or Sather to have a talk with Avery. Those types of antics/players are an embarrassment to the game. Get them/him out.

TwoBits
04-18-2008, 09:02 PM
What a surprise, Brodeur didn't shake Avery's hand at the end of the series. Can't say I blame him, kind of looked mutual if you ask me. Did anyone else see Avery's classless interview regarding the subject? What an arse.

dondo
04-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Not to mention, he looked like an idiot! I think the League wasted no time in ruling it a 2 minute penalty. At least that's what I think I heard. Good thing he didn't try that on a Ron Hextall, Ray Emery, or Patrick Roy type, he'd still be removing lumber from between his teeth, or what was left of them. :laugh:

actually they didn't -- well after the fact they made an addendum to the rule which takes into account "the turtle's" bush league antics, but on the night Avery did not get a penalty because -- get this -- the ref did not know what to call as "the rules had no specific rule against it". You're kidding right?

Not sure how the refs can justify calling a player complaining to the them about a face-off by giving him an unsportsmanlike penalty and then to watch this crap and NOT give an unsportsmanlike? Its about as unsportsmanlike as it gets, but then no-one ever figured "the turtle" would be getting the Lady Byng.

To be blunt he should have got a 2 min USC, 10 personal USC (for being a colassal jackass) and a match peanlty for making a mockery of the game, the refs and his own team.

TwoBits
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
actually they didn't -- well after the fact they made an addendum to the rule which takes into account "the turtle's" bush league antics, but on the night Avery did not get a penalty because -- get this -- the ref did not know what to call as "the rules had no specific rule against it". You're kidding right?

Not sure how the refs can justify calling a player complaining to the them about a face-off by giving him an unsportsmanlike penalty and then to watch this crap and NOT give an unsportsmanlike? Its about as unsportsmanlike as it gets, but then no-one ever figured "the turtle" would be getting the Lady Byng.

To be blunt he should have got a 2 min USC, 10 personal USC (for being a colassal jackass) and a match peanlty for making a mockery of the game, the refs and his own team.

That's what I meant, the after-the-fact part.

I agree with you 100%.

Did you see his interview after the "non-handshake"? Whadaa.....(fill in with any word you like :D ).

Toswammi
04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Face it...Sean Avery is one of the most influential players in the game. Heck he got the NHL to change a rule in the middle of the playoffs. I don't think Jesus Crosby could even do that.
Just another reason i wear my NYR Avery #16 jersey with pride (or will when he signs a new contract)

TwoBits
04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Face it...Sean Avery is one of the most influential players in the game. Heck he got the NHL to change a rule in the middle of the playoffs. I don't think Jesus Crosby could even do that.
Just another reason i wear my NYR Avery #16 jersey with pride (or will when he signs a new contract)

Well, I guess a BAD influence, is still an influence.

TwoBits
04-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Well, I guess a BAD influence, is still an influence.

dondo
04-22-2008, 05:22 PM

oh man toswammi and I had respect for you until that point ...

"the turtle" is a gutless little puke and nobody should be wearing a jersey of this little piece of crap. True he's better (marginally) than he was in LA, which saw him released early just to get him out of the dressing room. He doesn't stick up for himself or others, takes cheap shots behind the play and his most recent antics just don't belong in the game and are remarkably bush-league.

This is kind of player for which you have high regard? Me I have regard for players like Yzerman, and Sakic and players who CONTRIBUTE to the game not take away from it and distract. I want to transport the turtle back to the olden days before the awful instigator penalty and watch him beat into a bloody pulp on a very regular basis when real men played real hockey and didn't tolerate little gnats like this one.

We have got to stop making excuses for this little jerk-off. He's poison pure and simple.

Its a shame because he has skill, but unlike former gutless puke Barnaby he has yet to learn to shelve the pissant crap and play hockey. Agitate sure, but don't make a fool of yourself or your teammates. He's an incredibly selfish player and the league should make a distinct point of fining and penalizing him whenever he starts this crap.

Being influential by being a jackass and forcing the league to compensate for you being an incredibly poor sport and inventing rules because you crossed an understood boundary, because most of the players in the league have grown up enough not to pull that bush-league crap, is not "influential" or positive in the least -- it makes a mockery of the game and the league. Sadly "the turtle" has yet to learn that lesson and still thinks he's in kindergarten playing with finger paints.

Were I to have access to jersey with "the turtle's" number on it -- I would burn it in effigy and wouldn't be caught dead wearing it.

bad press isn't helping the league's reputation in the least and this little weasel is a fount of bad press and nothing good.

TwoBits
04-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Maybe Toswammi will get a kick outta this.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/popup/latest/20080422_The_Inbox

Toswammi
04-23-2008, 09:10 AM
No way am i going to say he is my favorite player (Richards (PHI) Iggy, Thorton etc.) , but he does his job to a T. When he was in LA i will admit he was a jerk, but i am finding that in NY the reputation has followed him, but his act itself hasn't really. Avery himself is a good player, unlike a Barnaby he can score, and play in big moments. He can shut down opposing players, and get into their heads by merely standing beside them. Is he a jerk...yeah, but as much as you may not like it he is good for hockey, and his team.
I have always had a soft spot for agitators though (so long as they are within their right), and not playing in Toronto, or Edmonton.
And the jersey comment is just to get that kind of reaction. You are talking to the guy who wanted a Pronger jersey the second he left Edmonton.

dondo
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
lol

yeah well I hate him and think he's bad for hockey, but w/e to each his own.

rinkrat
04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Wait til Beach gets in the NHL. It'll be the same act. I'm actually hoping the Canucks pick him up so I can see him take his beatings first hand. Boogaard'd

dondo
04-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I expect so as well rinkrat -- he could be a true scoring threat, but I think unless he gets a coach who keeps him under some seriously tight reins that he'll be the little dick that he's always been.

Here's hoping the league smartens up and takes away the instigator penalty, so these little pissants don't have the kind of latitude they have been given. Its time to take the pest element out of the game. They are the kinds of players who are more likely to injure another player with their behind the play cheapshots than someone taking a good hit or punch in a fight.

TwoBits
04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Is Beach as ridickulous as Avery in his interviews too? It's just a double whammy that I can't stand. Idiot, both on and off the ice.

dondo
04-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Beatch is testosterone without direction incarnate. He can't fight and does stuff without any mental barriers.

When he's focused he's wicked, but most of the time he's just a whiny beatch.. he gamely lives up to that moniker most of the times I have watched him play.

TwoBits
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I've read tonnes about his on-ice antics, I was just wondering how he comes across in interviews?

rinkrat
04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I've talked to him a couple times and he is the most pleasant young fella you would want to meet. I'm sure the on ice part is all drama in Kyles' mind.
Lets face it, he is good at what he does, just too bad he doesn't stick to hockey, but thats his schtick...
We've all seen the Dorsets, Cookes, Linsmans and Lemieuxs' and Beach is no different. We all love to hate him...
At least with Hunt he would back up his antics. As opposed to Mr B :dead: