PDA

View Full Version : Bonner agrees to contract

nivek_wahs
04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
From the Kamloops Daily News via Gregg Drinnan.... http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com

Bonner agrees to contract with Blazers

From The Daily News of Monday, April 21, 2008 . . .

By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor

The Kamloops Blazers have their man.

Craig Bonner, the Vancouver Giants’ assistant general manager/assistant coach, has agreed to terms on a five-year contract as the WHL team’s general manager, a source familiar with the negotiations told The Daily News on Sunday night.

Bonner, who chose not to comment when reached at his Lower Mainland home last night, will be introduced as the organization’s newest general manager at a Tuesday news conference.

The Blazers’ ownership group – majority owner Tom Gaglardi of Vancouver and ex-Blazers players Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla, Mark Recchi and Darryl Sydor – took over the franchise on Oct. 25. The quintet identified early on that it wanted Bonner, a 35-year-old native of Edmonton, as its general manager.

“Craig is really excited and ready to get going,” Recchi wrote in an e-mail from Toronto, where he was working as an analyst on TSN’s NHL playoff coverage.

Gaglardi received permission to speak with Bonner from Vancouver owner Ron Toigo in November. Gaglardi and Bonner had dinner together in late November, something that only served to reinforce the belief of the owners that Bonner was the man for the job.

“I think he’s ready,” said Giants head coach Don Hay, who has known Bonner since 1988-89. “It’s always a little scary changing jobs . . . but I really think he’s ready for it and I think he’s really going to help the Blazers organization.

“It’s a big loss for us. I hate to lose him but I think he’s ready to move on.”

Hay admitted to feeling mixed emotions.

“It’s a happy and sad day,” he said. “I’m happy for Craig; I’m really sad to be losing such a fine young man.

“Like I told him, ‘You’re ready for this. Trust your instincts and go out and make good decisions.’ “

The defending Memorial Cup-champion Giants had their season come to an end a week ago when they lost a six-game series to the Spokane Chiefs. The Blazers immediately opened negotiations with Bonner, who has been on the Giants’ coaching staff for five seasons and has been the assistant general manager/assistant coach since June 17, 2004.

Toigo gave Bonner a new three-year deal in August, meaning he had two years left on it. The Giants and Blazers were able to reach agreement on compensation for Bonner last week, with Vancouver to receive two bantam draft picks, one to be used in the 2008 draft, which is scheduled for May 1 in Calgary, and the other in 2009.

Bonner becomes the fifth general manager to run the Blazers’ hockey operations since then-president Colin Day fired Bob Brown on June 5, 1995, two weeks after the organization had won its third Memorial Cup in four seasons.

Stu MacGregor succeeded Brown. MacGregor, now the head scout for the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers, left to join the Dallas Stars’ scouting staff and was replaced by Mike Moore on June 8, 1998. Moore and the Blazers “mutually” agreed to part ways on Jan. 12, 2004, with Dean Clark taking over as interim director of hockey operations.

Subsequently, Clark was named general manager and head coach, a relationship that ended Nov. 7 when the Blazers’ new ownership group, which had taken over the franchise two weeks earlier, fired him.

Long-time Blazers scout Brian Fortin, who was named interim general manager on Jan. 2, has been keeping Bonner’s seat warm. It is anticipated that Fortin will be leaving the Blazers to scout for an NHL team.

Bonner has a long history with the Blazers.

A defenceman, he played two games with the Blazers in 1988-89 before joining the team fulltime the following season. He played 248 games over the next four seasons during which time the Blazers twice appeared in the Memorial Cup. Bonner was the team captain when the Blazers won the Memorial Cup in Seattle in 1992.

“I’ve seen Craig grow up,” said Hay, who was an assistant coach with the Blazers during Bonner’s first three seasons and the head coach in 1991-92. “I saw him play his first game as a Blazer as a 15-year-old. He was the first captain of my first Blazers team. I really wanted him to be a captain of that team because I liked his leadership abilities as a 20-year-old.”

After a brief professional career that was beset by knee problems, Bonner returned to the Blazers as executive assistant over the summer of 1996. He was an assistant coach under head coach Marc Habscheid for 1997-98.

In July 1999, he was named executive assistant/assistant coach and worked under Moore and head coach Dean Evason. The entire coaching staff was fired on April 5, 2002, shortly after being swept from a first-round series by the Kelowna Rockets.

Evason was named head coach of the Giants six weeks later, with Bonner on staff as an assistant coach.

Once he gets settled, Bonner is expected to begin the search for a head coach.

Greg Hawgood was named interim head coach on Nov. 8 and, with a year left on his contract, is expected to remain on the coaching staff. It also is expected that goaltending coach Steve Passmore and part-time assistant coach Steve Gainey will be retained, while assistant GM/assistant coach Shayne Zulyniak also will remain, but perhaps with different responsibilities.

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca

scamperdog
04-22-2008, 08:54 PM
BLAZERS HIRE BONNER AS VICE PRESIDENT & GENERAL MANAGER

KAMLOOPS, BC - The Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club today announces the signing of Craig Bonner to a 5-year contract to serve as the team's new Vice President & General Manager of Hockey Operations.

"We are elated to have Craig return to the Blazers," says President Tom Gaglardi. "He has made tremendous strides in his career over the past several years, with perhaps his most notable accomplishment being his key role in the Vancouver Giants winning the Memorial Cup last season. Craig is a natural leader who commands tremendous respect throughout the WHL. He possesses the skill sets, knowledge and vision necessary to be successful in our league, and he is the right leader for this franchise today."

Bonner joins the Blazers in what will be his third different role with the club. Bonner was a player for four seasons from 1988 to 1993 - including time as captain and winning the 1992 Memorial Cup in Seattle - then rejoining the club in 1997 to serve as an Assistant Coach and Executive Assistant. Bonner was hired by the Vancouver Giants and as Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager in 2002 - positions he held for six seasons before once again returning to Kamloops.

"First of all, I'd like to thank the Kamloops Blazers ownership group – Tom Gaglardi, Shane Doan, Jarome Iginla, Mark Recchi and Darryl Sydor – for putting the faith and trust in me to get this organization back to where we all believe it should be," said Bonner. "Second, I would like to thank the Vancouver Giants organization, especially Ron Toigo, Scott Bonner and Don Hay, for not only allowing me to pursue the GM position with the Blazers but encouraging me and endorsing me for the job."

"The culture, identity, and work ethic of the Kamloops Blazers organization both on and off the ice must change," continued Bonner. "I believe, as an organization, our job is to not only form a team that will be competitive and have the work ethic we want on a nightly basis, but also to build a program that year after year the people of Kamloops and especially the fans of the Kamloops Blazers can be proud of."

Bonner takes over these duties effective immediately. He becomes the 9th person to hold the title of General Manager since the team arrived in Kamloops in 1981. Below is a chronology of past Blazer and Junior Oiler GMs:

1981-82 Harvey Roy
1982-84 Bill Laforge (Coach & GM)
1984-85 Harvey Roy
1985-86 Ken Hitchcock (Coach & GM)
1986-95 Bob Brown
1995-98 Stu MacGregor
1998-2004 Mike Moore
2004-07 Dean Clark (Coach & GM)
2007-08 Brian Fortin

His first task as GM will be to oversee the Bantam Draft which is set for May 1st in Calgary.

The Giants will receive third-round bantam draft selections in 2008 and 2009 as compensation.

The Blazers also announce that Shane Zulyniak has changed roles within the organization. Formerly Assistant GM/Assistant Coach, he has accepted a position within the Sales and Marketing Department of the Blazers. A further announcement regarding changes to this department will follow in the coming weeks. “The Blazers would like to thank Shane for his hard work with our players in the past two seasons and look forward to his continued contributions in our sales and marketing department”, remarked team President Tom Gaglardi.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Brian Fortin for the job he did as General Manager in the second half of last season," concluded Gaglardi. “We greatly appreciate his dedication and commitment during the period of transition.” Fortin, a 19-year Blazer veteran, will return to his scouting duties effective immediately.

-09-

dondo
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
we'll miss him when we go scouting for untapped talent and behind the bench managing our defensive corps, but this is a great opportunity for Craig and I wish him great success, just not too much :thumb:

As far as I know our marketing/community relations guy Dale Saip is headed to Kamloops as well. Not sure which position he will fill.