PDA

View Full Version : Happy--Yes

grumphy
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Tigers 6-1------I said to the wife after listening to the game, that this might be similar to prodding a grizzle bear in the ass with a pich fork to see if he's sleeping-----hope not, but it's going to make the rest of this series a lot tougher for our cats----me thinks. :rolleyes: Would not have wanted to be in that Reb's dressing room after that one :laugh:

Rebel66
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Would not have wanted to be in that Reb's dressing room after that one :laugh:

You got that right! Sutter was extremely critical of Fraser, Wick, and especially Phaneuf saying that he was simply awful. As I've stated elsewhere his mistake in not playing the puck was a HUGE turning point in the game. Phaneuf has not been dominant at all so far in the playoffs which perhaps says something about this Tigers team too.

Credit to the Tigers. They played a great game last night while the Rebels only played one period. Interesting to see how they respond on Friday.

Furback
03-31-2005, 01:48 PM
go cats go clarke Macarthur will lead them past the dion over hyped look for the big hit puthimself over his team phaenuf

tiny
03-31-2005, 02:36 PM
You have no idea of where the Rebels would be without him..."hockey genius" :D

Furback
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Im sure he is the whole team just ask him.

Rebrevs
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Phanuef would be the first to tell you he doesn't like the hype any more than you do!!! In fact it brings more problems for him than not. He becomes more and more of a target partly because of the hype. Would you not agree that opposing players would get more of a thrill and perhaps put more energy into making a hit on the "great" Dion Phanuef than on someone who doesn't have quite the same exposure. To add to this, I've seen refs in many sports, NOT call a penalty (or foul in basketball) against a good player because their rational is, "the good player can deal with the flagarance of the infraction better than some less skilled player". Meyer cross checked Phanuef in the back last night, knocking him to the ice. No penalty was called. To add to the frustration (at least I would be frustrated) Phanuefs high profile as a player forces him to "stay in the game". In other words, he can't retaliate via fighting or returning the "favor" because his team needs him in the game. Don't think other teams don't know this. Not retaliating WOULD NOT BE HIS FRIST CHOICE I'm sure, but he understands the game well enough to know what sacrifices he needs to make.

I'm not sure how making the big hit puts Dion before the team. Hitting is part of the game. How are Dion's hits any different than than those of any other player in the WHL other than packing a bigger wallop than most??!! Rarely do Dion's big hits result in his team suffering. In fact, as seen by his play with the Junior National Team, Dion's hits usually lead to a positive energy charge for his team. I haven't seen Dion lay out anyone in the recent games I have watched. The point I'm making is that he doesn't go for the big hit every shift nor every game for that matter, as you seem to imply. Sounds to me like Dion is doing his job and its a job that is more difficult than most.

grumphy
03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Ask Sutter what his instuctions are to Phanuef, believe me it's not "be a gentle giant out there". He doesn't carry a big load for the Rebs obviousley thats why he only logs 45 to 55 minutes a game :spineyes: ----please furball go cheer for a team in the BC division :thumb:

Furback
03-31-2005, 04:02 PM
he logs 45 to 55 minutes a game do you have proof of this? hey dont get all worked up it just my opinion I do think he is overatted i have said before i think webber is a better d man. Im not saying the guy is not good im just saying he is not as good as people give him credit for.

grumphy
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
he logs 45 to 55 minutes a game do you have proof of this? .
All the proof I need is watching him play, he may get one or two shifts off a period but thats about it---especially during this series----other than last night when Sutter rested him after the game was out of hand and he made a stupid play
And Im a Tiger fan but recognize and injoy watching pure talent from any team, like your chipper.

Furback
03-31-2005, 04:16 PM
so your guessing thats how much he plays? you dont know for sure right i just would choose my words better cause i'm pretty sure his time on ice would not be that high.

Rebrevs
03-31-2005, 05:40 PM
So, you are challenging Grumphy to be careful how he uses his words pertaining to how much time Phanuef does or doesn't get and yet YOU know for sure that Weber is a better defenseman than Phanuef. This implies that all the other people who chose to credit Phanuef for his ability are wrong but you are right..... Hmmm. THis means that the people who chose Phanuef as the leading dman in the past two world junior championships are wrong. This also suggests that the Top Prospects selection panel for the last two years has been wrong.

Spungy
03-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Phanuef would be the first to tell you he doesn't like the hype any more than you do!!! In fact it brings more problems for him than not. He becomes more and more of a target partly because of the hype. Would you not agree that opposing players would get more of a thrill and perhaps put more energy into making a hit on the "great" Dion Phanuef than on someone who doesn't have quite the same exposure. To add to this, I've seen refs in many sports, NOT call a penalty (or foul in basketball) against a good player because their rational is, "the good player can deal with the flagarance of the infraction better than some less skilled player". Meyer cross checked Phanuef in the back last night, knocking him to the ice. No penalty was called. To add to the frustration (at least I would be frustrated) Phanuefs high profile as a player forces him to "stay in the game". In other words, he can't retaliate via fighting or returning the "favor" because his team needs him in the game. Don't think other teams don't know this. Not retaliating WOULD NOT BE HIS FRIST CHOICE I'm sure, but he understands the game well enough to know what sacrifices he needs to make.

a very insightful and well stated post!

i would love to take out Dions name and add Nigel in there. it can't be fun to be a target every night!

rdreb
03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
He is playing 35 to 40 min a game if you would like to know. If you think he is so over rated,than you put the skates on and play against him :thumb: :thumb:

Furback
03-31-2005, 07:42 PM
I never said i know weber is a better d man I said I think weber is better. that is my opinion I never quoted it like it was gospil. One thing I know for fact is dion was not the best d man the last two years at world juniors he was voted top d man this year but in 2004 sami lepisto was top d man. Its just my opinion. cause both you and Grumphy quoted stats that were wrong. I just gave my opinion.

grumphy
03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
so your guessing thats how much he plays? you dont know for sure right i just would choose my words better cause i'm pretty sure his time on ice would not be that high.
I think it is you guesing------you haven't been watching him play---I have----I also have a pretty good watch for this kind of thing---called a stop watch. Before you put your feet in your mouth again, "we all attend games for different reasons", keeping track of some players time happens to be one of mine.

Rebrevs
03-31-2005, 11:48 PM
And I quote.....

I never said i know weber is a better d man I said I think weber is better..."

You continue to amaze me as to how you correct others on being careful what they say. You didn't say "I know", you said "I think". Not a real big difference. Phanuef was on the all star team in 2004. He was the top defenseman AND on the all star team in 2005. Yes, Lepisto was the top defenseman in 2004. If we are going to get into a war of words and you want me to believe that "knowing" and "thinking" are different then there isn't much difference between my saying Dion was the top dman in the 2004 worlds when he was just a LOWLY allstar. (sarcasm intended) THe point is, was Weber even on the TEAM in 2004???? Was he named an allstar in 2005??? This started by you claiming that Dion was "over hyped" and "puts himself over the team" Then you said it again. "Dion was overated and you THINK Webber is a better dman" Think....know.....The bottom line is that the statistics tell a different story. You are entitled to believe what you believe but show a little more respect when delivering your message. Degrading Phanuef in an attempt to support your belief that Webber is better doesn't put you in a good light......PERIOD.

Furback
04-01-2005, 03:05 AM
hey its just my opinion. weber didnt even get invited in 2004 but if he did he would have made the team. I could care less what light i put myself in I could care less if you think dion is the second comming of eddie Shore. I just gave my opinion if you dont like it dont read it but you wont change my mind.

grumphy
04-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Furball------you should avoid posting after 6pm------your mind seems to go a little mushy after that point :laugh: lets put "the best defenceman" issue on the shelf----you have your opinion----the rest of us know

Furback
04-01-2005, 10:32 AM
ok grumphy whatever but all he had was two good games in the world juniors thats what i mean about overatted he makes one good play and gets praised he messes up 5 times every one turns a blind eye. he is overatted If he keeps it simple he could be great but right now he is all hype. Im sure you dont see that though grumphy your to busy with your stop watch

Donald Trump
04-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I was surprised that Mike Green didn't get the top Defensmen award, lets compare stats.
Dion 56 points +15 1.02 points per game
Green 66 points +36 .99 points per game
Reason I think Green should have got it would be his stats for one, and he plays 50+minutes a game, and with out Green our team would have been in huge trouble this year, he is the heart and soul of this team, and a awsome Captain.
Dion is a very awsome player and is one of the best this league has seen and tough, and not dirty tough like tootoo was. I just don't think he had his best year this year, and maybe his name got him the award this year than his talent did.