PDA

View Full Version : Post Season Thoughts With Bruce Hamilton

Malc
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
By Dana Soleski

DS: Bruce, what would you say was the biggest lesson your team learned this season?

BH: Our team got comfortable around the end of February and early January. And, I think at that time we maybe thought we were a better team than we actually were. We didn’t pay attention to the fact that the other teams were getting tougher as the season wore on and it cost us. But, that’s maturity. We had a very young team and, hopefully, we’ll learn from that.

DS: If you could pinpoint one missing element on your team, what would that be?

BH: Most of all, we lack leadership. We had too many young guys who were trying to shoulder that load but either didn’t have the experience to do it or weren’t that type of player.

DS: With the early off season, when will the players get back into the gym to work out in preparation for next year?

BH: Our school guys got back into the gym today. Last spring we asked our school players to stay in Kelowna at least until the end of the term so they could begin their off season workout programs here. And, that worked really well and we’re doing the same this year. For our guys who are out of school, their workout schedule begins on May 1.

DS: Do you expect to make any major additions to your lineup this off season?

BH: Certainly, we’re hoping to get a crack at Mikael Backlund (who starred for Team Sweden at the 2008 World Juniors). And, we have a couple of American players we’d love to add. With them, we’re going to wait until after the NHL Draft in June and see how they feel about coming here.

DS: Can you tell us more about these American players?

BH: One is Danny Kristo, who’s a 1990-born player from Minnesota. He played in the USA National Development team this past season but has a year of high school left. So, he can’t go to college this coming year. He is rated highly for the upcoming NHL Draft (40th North American prospect in Central Scouting’s Midterm rankings) and depending on who selects him, coming here might be a strong option. A lot of NHL teams like to see their prospects fast-tracked and the best way to do that is to play major junior.
Another player is Mike Carmen who’s currently at the University of Minnesota. We tried hard to get him last summer. If he comes here next season it would be as an overage player and I will certainly be following up with him soon.
And, Nick Shore is a guy from Denver who we picked in the 2007 Bantam Draft. We’re going to pursue him hard.

DS: What is the latest on the status of Backlund?

BH: I talked to his agent recently and as you know, Calgary drafted him. So, where he ends up next year will be driven largely by Darryl Sutter. And, Darryl usually likes to see his European prospects come over here to learn the North American lifestyle. At the same time, there’s a great demand for Backlund’s services among teams in the Swedish pro league. We’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

DS: What about Luke Moffat, your top pick in the 2007 Bantam Draft?

BH: Of course, Luke played for Compuware in Detroit this past season and had a really good year. His team got put out of the playoffs earlier than expected, but he personally played well all year. Other than that, I can’t tell you much about whether he’s going to come and play in the WHL or the NCAA. Again, we want him, but he has to make the decision.

DS: How would you rate the job done by your coaching staff this past year?

BH: Overall, I would say I’m very satisfied. I know Ryan Huska learned a lot and we’re looking forward to seeing him continue to develop as a coach. Some things happened throughout the course of the year that we know Ryan will be better at in future seasons. He took this job without any head coaching experience and, to be honest, we expected he’d have some growing pains. Jeff Finley made real good strides as an assistant coach for our defense. He’s not a boisterous guy and sometimes you have to be really strict with the players. At the same time, his NHL experience was invaluable in our dressing room. The players respect a guy who played as long as he did in the NHL. As the season wore on, Jeff became more involved in the decision making process. Both Kim Dillabaugh and Ryan Cuthbert made great contributions. And, in Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers, we’ve got two defensemen who could be top 10 picks in the NHL draft. That says a lot about all our current coaches and also a lot about Jeff Truitt, who had a hand in the development of both those guys.

DS: You mentioned Schenn. Some suggest he could play in the NHL next season. What are your thoughts on that?

BH: Right now, we’re planning for next year as if he won’t be back. It’s still a huge step for a young player to take, but, Luke’s a guy who could do it. We’d love to have him back, of course. But, if we don’t plan for him being gone we’ll get burned. That’s what happened many years ago with Kyle McLaren. He was drafted by Boston and made the team that same year. We can’t afford to let that happen again and not be prepared.

DS: What about the draft possibilities for Myers, Brandon McMillan and Colin Long?

BH: Myers will certainly be taken in the top 15, maybe the top 10. McMillan and Long will both be drafted – likely anywhere from the first to fourth round.

DS: You must be excited about the season Long had in nearly leading the league in scoring?

BH: Yes, I’d say he definitely exceeded our expectations. But, Lorne Frey kept saying all along that it would just be a matter of time until Colin became a great player. We kept him here till the end of school last spring and got him started on his workout program. He really bought into the workout program and committed to getting stronger. And, the results were obvious. He’s a great story. It took time, but he realized he had to work harder to make himself a great player. He needed time to mature and improve his speed and strength. Those two elements are what the game’s all about these days.

DS: Any thoughts on whom your 20-year-olds might be next year?

BH: Myles MacRae has already told our coaches that he’ll be playing with Victoria in the BCHL next season so he won’t be in the mix.
We have Colin Joe and Tysen Dowzak who are both eligible. At this point, I’d say we won’t likely have two 20-year-olds on defence, but that feeling might change.
If we get Carman, he would be a 20-year old.

DS: Are you happy with the development of Cody Almond?

BH: Cody’s a talented player who’s got lots more to offer than what we’ve seen. We’re frustrated with him. Some nights, he plays like a star and other nights, he’s not there. He spends way too much time worrying about putting up points than just going out and playing. That’s an issue we’ve talked to him about many times. He’s got a great opportunity. He was drafted by Minnesota last spring and he could play in the NHL. This summer he’ll be going to camp with them and, hopefully, he learns what it will take for him to make it there one day. We’re looking forward to seeing him become the type of player he can be.

Malc
04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Danny Kristo, RW, 5'11" 172 lbs. Ranked first on Team USA's scoring list with 15 goals and accumulated 25 points and three game-winning goals this year.

McKeen's correspondent Max Giese recently had the chance to talk with University of North Dakota recruit Danny Kristo, who is currently playing for the USNTDP. He is eligible and highly regarded for the 2008 NHL Entry draft. Kristo is a dynamic forward blessed with outstanding speed and offensive ability. He talks about his game, his goals for the season and thoughts about the upcoming draft.

Danny Kristo Interview

McKeen's: With this being your draft year, how much are you thinking about the NHL draft?

Kristo: No matter how much you try not to think about it, it is in the back of everyone's mind. I try not to think about it and just focus on the season and the task at hand but it is in my thoughts.

McKeen's: How would you describe your game? What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Kristo: I would describe my game as an up-tempo, speed game. I think my strengths as a player are my speed, hands and vision. I would like to improve on playing more consistent and improving in the weight room.

McKeen's: You were highly recruited, what was it about North Dakota that sold you and made you commit to their program?

Kristo: Growing up I lived in Indiana until I was about 13. I didn't have a hockey team to grow up watching. My dad had some connections to the Sioux so growing up I was always a fan. When the time came to choose on a school which I thought would fit me, I thought everything about it was what I wanted.

McKeen's: You seem to be a game breaker with the puck. Has the offensive side of the game always come natural to you?

Kristo: I always have had good hands and vision since I was little. Three years ago about when I grew, I picked up a lot of speed and my game took off. Growing up I was a goalscorer though.

McKeen's: Who is the most difficult teammate of yours to beat in practice?

Kristo: The most difficult person to beat in practice is Ryan Grimshaw. He just battles all over the rink. He loves to play the body and loves being physical. He makes me better everyday competing against him.

McKeen's: What goals have you set for yourself this season? Individually and as a team.

Kristo: This season I have not really set goals as in points or anything but to just play the best I can. My coach John Hynes is a really good coach and gets the best out of his players. My goal coming into this year was to be a go to guy when the crunch time of the game is on the line, if we are down a goal or up a goal I want to be on the ice. As a team we have high standards of winning the U-18 World Championship. In April, if we don't come away with gold, I think the whole team will feel the two years we spent here was not complete.

McKeen's: What is an average non-game day like with the USNTDP?

Kristo: Usually we all go to school like a regular kid. We get out of school at about 1:00 pm and head to the rink. We train and practice till about six every day. After that I'm usually off to homework or just hanging out with the guys.

McKeen's: A scout comes to one of your games to check you out, what do you want that scout thinking about you when he leaves the rink?

Kristo: When a Scout leaves the rink after watching me play I would want him to think that I compete during the games and being a complete player.

McKeen's: Do you model your game after any current players in the NHL?

Kristo: Either Ales Hemsky of the Edmonton Oilers or Maxim Afinegenov of the Buffalo Sabres.

McKeen's: Do you have any quirky pre-game rituals or superstitions?

Kristo: Yes I do, I am a superstitious guy. I usually tape my stick in the lockerroom while listening to my favorite pre-game song. I repeat my favorite goal I have seen in my head over and over before I go out. Three minutes before we go on for warmups, I go out and just look at the wide open clean ice. I like to picture just playing the game and having fun.