PDA

View Full Version : Pyett joins team Canada

nivek_wahs
04-24-2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/News/295/

PYETT JOINS TEAM CANADA

CALGARY, AB – Hockey Canada announced that three players from the National Junior Program will join Team Canada for training camp purposes only, for the upcoming 2008 IIHF World Championships in Quebec City and Halifax, May 2nd to 18th. Defenceman Logan Pyett and forwards Cory Emmerton and Kyle Turris will all join the team today.

Pats captain, Logan Pyett (5’11”,198 Ibs) took part in the Canada/Russia Super Series at the end of August, as well as capturing a Gold Medal at the World Junior Championships over Christmas. The native of Milestone, SK notched 20 goals and added 34 assists to go along with a +24 rating, in 62 games this year. Pyett, the 7th round draft pick of the Detroit Red Wings in 2006, finished 4th among WHL defencemen in scoring this past season.

Team Canada will gather in Quebec City today for a pre-competition camp consisting of practices and two exhibition games (April 26th vs. Finland and April 28th vs. Russia).
………………………

Season tickets are currently on sale for the 2008-09 season. Get your Pats season tickets now by calling 522-PATS .

patsdude114
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Not likely but he could end up playing in a exhibition game, if he does or doesnt it still says alot to be 1 of 3 junior aged players to get the chance to practise with Team Canada for the World Championships.

Maybe this can help Pyett get a pro deal done with Detroit. It wouldnt surprise me if Pyett has fallen off Detroit's radar, but Im sure another team would take a chance on him in a Pro deal (for the AHL). Maybe Hitchcock could get the Jackets to go after him since he did have something to do with getting Pyett invited.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Pyett will still get signed by Detroit, dont worry. Some teams like Boston are signing everybody right now, but Detroit is waiting a bit to do that. There is still alot of time before the cutoff date (sometime around July), and there is no need to rush things.

He is an underrated prospect, and even though we think he could have done better in clutch situations, the fact that a late rounder (second last player picked in the whole draft) scored 20 goals from the blueline, and cracked the world junior roster is going to count when they consider signing him.

The pats would be very lucky to have him back next year, but Im sure he will be playing for Grand Rapids in the AHL come the 2008/09 season. This almost insures that, being that Turris and - to a lesser extent - Emmerton, are top prospects.

patsdude114
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Pyett will still get signed by Detroit, dont worry. Some teams like Boston are signing everybody right now, but Detroit is waiting a bit to do that. There is still alot of time before the cutoff date (sometime around July), and there is no need to rush things.

He is an underrated prospect, and even though we think he could have done better in clutch situations, the fact that a late rounder (second last player picked in the whole draft) scored 20 goals from the blueline, and cracked the world junior roster is going to count when they consider signing him.

The pats would be very lucky to have him back next year, but Im sure he will be playing for Grand Rapids in the AHL come the 2008/09 season. This almost insures that, being that Turris and - to a lesser extent - Emmerton, are top prospects.

June 1st i had read is the cut off date to sign players from his draft class

And was the very last player taken in the draft.

But yes i do believe he will be signed by Detroit, just find it funny the Detroit is waiting so long to sign him, alot prob has to do with where he was selected and the prospect he has turned into.

nivek_wahs
04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
June 1st i had read is the cut off date to sign players from his draft class

And was the very last player taken in the draft.

But yes i do believe he will be signed by Detroit, just find it funny the Detroit is waiting so long to sign him, alot prob has to do with where he was selected and the prospect he has turned into.212th pick... 2nd last. Justin Krueger was selected by Carolina 213th.

patsdude114
04-27-2008, 12:50 PM
my bad always thought he was the very last player selected, oh well 2nd last or last not much of a difference.

Either way he is of Canada's top prospects from that draft, he draft position was held back from his size and playing on poor Regina teams. He has learned alot the past 2 years especially how to rub guys out if your not going to play a physical game. Pyett reminds me alot of Kris Russell (from MH) not a big guy but can skate and has amazing puck skills. Russell is still better then Pyett is (even at age 19 if you compare the 2 at the same age) Russell played with alot better of players that helped him in his game, that let him take the chances he was able to take.

I know the chances of Pyett coming back next season are next to nothing, but boy would it be nice to have both Pyett (our captain) and Bartley on the back end for another season. That would leave a very good battle between Doucet, Hill and MacAngus for the final spot. In my mind Doucet would win that battle he brings alot more to the ice, but it wont happen anyways, unless Pyett has a brutal camp in Grand Rapids and they question his work ethic.