PDA

View Full Version : Coach Reflects On Bronco Season

Scout
04-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Head coach reflects on Broncos successful season
BY STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos head coach and general manager Dean Chynoweth had a chance to reflect on the season a few days after his team was eliminated by the Calgary Hitmen in game six of the Eastern Conference semi-finals.

"I think the season as a whole was a success," said Chynoweth. "I don't like this time of year, when it ends and it ends so quickly and you are moving guys out of town to get them home and back in school, but it is just part of our system. When you look at the big picture, I thought we made some real strides and improvements in areas that you need to win. What I mean by that is learning how to win. 72 games is a long season, with lots of highs and lows and you need to go through those to learn how to win. There were lots of defining moments for us as a team as well as players at different times throughout the season. I am proud of the group and how they responded in the second half. I am proud of how they competed in the playoffs in each series when they could have gone the other way and they didn't. For the kids that are coming back it was a tremendous experience that they can take from to learn and understand how tough it is to win at his level."

When asked if he would have done anything different in the series he responded, "what we needed was for a few of our better players to be better at certain times. I thought for the most part in game one our guys were better then theirs. I thought in games two, three, and four they probably weren't. Blowing the lead for me in game three was the turning point in the series that made it extremely tough on our group. That being said I thought we got a lot of mileage out of our older guys and better play in the next two games. Past those guys I thought our young guys were tremendous and probably better then their guys. It is no disrespect to our older guys, there is reason Ryan White is a second round draft pick, Galliardi is a second round pick. We don't have those guys. I like our guys. I think we have good players. The fact of Felde playing hurt, Dudas playing with a cast, definitely took away some of the advantage we may have had. I wouldn't change anything. The series format was what it was because of an NHL building. I wouldn't change anything other then trying to be on the winning side."

Chynoweth pointed out a few players that elevated their play in the playoffs.

"I thought Nelson did at times in the series, He was a slow starter in the Regina series but I thought that he got going good by the end. I thought the same about Weise, he started slow. I thought Smith was pretty consistent through the Regina series. All of them were good in the first game against Calgary but then dropped off a bit after that, which we definitely couldn't afford to happen. Travis Yonkman was easily our MVP. He was the guy who probably got us through the first round. He played exceptional and made a couple of key saves at key times, which you need to have success. Even in the second round he gave us a chance to win every night. That's what you ask from the goalie."

With three graduating players and potentially eight players returning as overagers next season the roster remains uncertain. Of the eight potential overagers there is the possibility of at least a few signing pro contracts.

"It is a good problem to have because it means that you are potentially moving guys on and you are developing players and that is what we are here for, we are a developmental league. We'll sort that out as players sign or players get to camp and figure out where they fit in that organizations picture. There are lot of different scenarios that could play out so to speculate on it now wouldn't really make a lot of sense."

Last season Chynoweth singled out Dale Weise, Levi Nelson, and Kyle Bortis as players who needed to step up this year.

Looking ahead to 2008-09, Chynoweth is confident that numerous players will be able to step up.

"If you were to get Smith and Weise back, they are two guys who could be dominating guys in the league, especially Weise and he would need to be a dominating player. Matt Tassone took a real step this year, I thought he was excellent. We are more then likely to have Keegan Dansereau back who is a game-stopper who can change a game in one shift.

"Cody Eakin had such a tremendous second half of the season and playoffs and I don't expect him to fall off.

"Geordie Wudrick is just starting to come into his own where he is figuring out that he is a big man and can play that physical style with the skill he has to go along with it.

"Justin Dowling got a taste of everything and showed real good signs at times and now he needs to take that next step and raise his expectations as mine have risen.

"Jan Dalecky, the same thing. It is tough for those kids to come over at 17, we have always had them at 18, now one at 17 not counting Marek Knebl before. I still think there is some real good potential there. Then there are guys competing for spots and ice time."

Chynoweth also pointed out that defensemen Eric Doyle, Ryan Molle, and Derek Claffey will all be expected to continue to eat up ice time next season as they did in the playoffs to help bring along newcomers such as Joel Rogers.

The Broncos also have list players in the NCAA or still considering that route in Riley Nash and Scott Macaulay. Chynoweth said it is not likely that either will be in a Broncos uniform.

"I doubt it. We have kept the lines of communication open. I would love to see them in a Broncos uniform but at the present time it doesn't look like it will be that way. We have kept those lines of communication open and we will continue to make sure that they know that we are still an option if things don't go the way they like."

Chynoweth also agreed that a renovated building, increased attendance, and a playoff run should all bode well in the recruiting process.

"I think it looks great for the franchise. I think we have a buzz and excitement that we haven't had in the time I've been here. We have a building that everyone should be proud of, a great atmosphere when it's full. All those things help with recruiting. The only tough part is that until they are here they don't realize or know that. I think it is important, from the hockey operations standpoint, that we continue to follow the path we have been following in recruiting in drafting in educated kids in what we are about and what the City of Swift Current is about and what they can expect when they do eventually play here. All that starts now and continues throughout the years until these kids eventually crack the lineup."

Next up on the agenda for the Broncos is the 2008 Bantam Draft on May 1st in Calgary in which the Broncos hold the 12th overall pick.