PDA

View Full Version : Vote Fails!!!!!!!!!!

Kristi
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Tri-City Americans Application Denied
Created: Mar 31, 2005

Calgary, AB - The Western Hockey League Board of Governors announced today that they have declined the application by the Tri-City Americans to relocate the WHL Franchise to Chilliwack, British Columbia.

The Tri-City Americans WHL franchise has been based in Kennewick, Washington since the 1988-89 season.

C.F
03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Well hopefully a team moves to Chilliwack in the near future, Chilliwack would be a great WHL city.

rinkrat
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
now what? Lame duck franchise with no lease.Where will they play?

Jovorock
03-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Porter is gonna have to sell this franchise, the Ams fans will never support him.

Beaner
03-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Or, if he really wanted to be a you know what he could keep running the team until the start of next year then fold it. Then the dub would have to either step in, or see a team fold.

PeteyNice
03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
We don't know the reasons the league rejected it. Part of it may have been that he promised to try it for four years and then tried to bail after three. If that was the case then I could see him signing a one year lease and then trying it again after next season.

I'd love to know what the final score was and how each club voted.

:thumb: Congrats AmFans :clap:

Flathead
03-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Glad to hear that the American fans will not lose their team, yet. I do agree with a previous poster that Porter will have to sell, or fold the team. Why not rally together and try to make it a community owned team, like here in Swift?

Spungy
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Congrats to the fans of the Americans!! i hope the team gets some support through the next few years.. the boys deserve it even if the owner doesn't. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next while

Scout
03-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Don't forget Edmonton is still in the wings with 5 Million to buy a team. I know for a fact they will approach both the league and the Amerks to relocate to Edmonton. Will the league approve that one?

Scout

Rooselk
03-31-2005, 06:28 PM
We don't know the reasons the league rejected it. Part of it may have been that he promised to try it for four years and then tried to bail after three. If that was the case then I could see him signing a one year lease and then trying it again after next season.

I'd love to know what the final score was and how each club voted.

:thumb: Congrats AmFans :clap:

Haven't heard how the teams voted, but I was listening to MOJO 730 on my way home from work and one of their newscasts said that the vote was 9 Against.

Beaner
03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Haven't heard how the teams voted, but I was listening to MOJO 730 on my way home from work and one of their newscasts said that the vote was 9 Against.

How does an owner misjudge that badly the wind is blowing to make a move from Tri Cities? Now if he tries to sell people know he can't move, and the value of the team has dropped.

It's either really bad planning on the Tri - owners part or there is something else going on.

I have a feeling this is far from over.

Hitmen1
03-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Well I can tell you all that on the sports radio station this afternoon people are excited at Edmonton's chances of getting the Americans. Any thoughts on them possibly coming to Edmonton. It will never work unless the Oilers are involved.

PeteyNice
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
an NHL, AHL *and* WHL team? Something tells me all three teams cannot survive.

C.F
03-31-2005, 08:24 PM
an NHL, AHL *and* WHL team? Something tells me all three teams cannot survive.
I think the Roadrunners would move. If not, both teams would struggle.

ScottyWazz
03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
If Edmonton got the team, LaForge would probably get rid of the Road Runners and try to move them somewhere closer to the rest of the AHL.

Beaner
03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
If Edmonton got the team, LaForge would probably get rid of the Road Runners and try to move them somewhere closer to the rest of the AHL.

Could he move the Roadrunners to Tri-Cities and vice-versa?

AMS Princess
03-31-2005, 09:02 PM
There is a group of about 14 community business owners joining together in hoping to buy the team. They had sent letters out to the WHL and the main spokesperson from the group said that they heard back from 5 of the Board of Governors. When the news came back that the application was denied, the group is even more interested in buying the team. Porter and company stated in a phone interview that he was "upset" and he and his group will have to take a few days to "think" about what they are going to do. One news broadcast had a phone interview with teh WHL Commissioner and he stated that governors voiced about how we finally now have a balanced league (and here is Porter and company trying to wreck it). Also the commissioner stated that there is a community who really does support hockey. So with that said, what has the ownership been looking at if the commissioner even stated that there is a supportive community? Oh well. I hope that the local group gets to buy the team. If not, we are still in for a bumpy ride.

kelownakarl
03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Well I guess you can chalk me up as dissapointed in this. Sorry Ams fans, but I was looking forward to another BC team and another close rival of the Rockets. I was looking forward to getting a double dose of WHL hockey in the Lower Drainland next season. Oh well, let's hope you gys can keep the franchise now after that scare!

HAF
04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
There is a group of about 14 community business owners joining together in hoping to buy the team. They had sent letters out to the WHL and the main spokesperson from the group said that they heard back from 5 of the Board of Governors. When the news came back that the application was denied, the group is even more interested in buying the team. Porter and company stated in a phone interview that he was "upset" and he and his group will have to take a few days to "think" about what they are going to do. One news broadcast had a phone interview with teh WHL Commissioner and he stated that governors voiced about how we finally now have a balanced league (and here is Porter and company trying to wreck it). Also the commissioner stated that there is a community who really does support hockey. So with that said, what has the ownership been looking at if the commissioner even stated that there is a supportive community? Oh well. I hope that the local group gets to buy the team. If not, we are still in for a bumpy ride.
I hadnt heard that!!! I'll go on record saying I would support any business willing to go in on this deal. I hope it works out for them. Any idea on what businesses are talking about this?

Jovorock
04-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Well I can tell you all that on the sports radio station this afternoon people are excited at Edmonton's chances of getting the Americans. Any thoughts on them possibly coming to Edmonton. It will never work unless the Oilers are involved.
If the league governers said no to Chilliwack then the people of Edmonton are just fooling themselves thinking they have a shot. Porter didn't give Tri a good enough of a shot, the Ams are staying there!

Brandon Wheatkings
04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
What is the population of Chilliwack?

RunTheGoalie
04-01-2005, 11:21 AM
The city itself is roughly 70,000. Market area well over 100,000.

If the league governers said no to Chilliwack then the people of Edmonton are just fooling themselves thinking they have a shot. Porter didn't give Tri a good enough of a shot, the Ams are staying there!

While you may be right, there is a considerable difference between the Cities of Chilliwack and Edmonton. The possibility of a team in a major market that can potentially duplicate the success found in Calgary and Vancouver - and therefore bring up the entire league's profile might sway three of those votes.

Personally, I would love to know the breakdown on how each team voted. One can be reasonably sure the four US teams voted against, and I think Kootenay would have as well. Who are the other four?

Beaner
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Ok, according to the media, the teams that voted AGAINST are,

Brandon
Red Deer
Prince George
Moose Jaw
Saskatoon
+ The 4 Teams in the States ( No surprise there)

RunTheGoalie
04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Well that really is interesting. There is no reason why the four Eastern would care either way, while Prince George would logically prefer the move as it would shorten their travel by a little bit.

Beaner
04-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, I listened to a radio interview today from one of the people in Chilliwack, can't remember his name but he was either the developer of the rink or a city official, but, he had said that as soon as the building was complete they had had a number of different teams from the Dub interested in information about the rink etc.

What he implied was that there was more than 1 team interested in possibly moving there. That may be why the vote was so strong against Tri moving.

The other thing being talked about is that a lot of teams were not too happy with Porter not living up to his 4 year commitment that he made when he purchased the team.

Overall he was disappointed but not too upset about it, considering the Chiefs have the best attendance in the BCJHL, and that they are thinking of increasing the number of luxury boxs there from 7 to 13.

Chipper
04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Ithink that any team thinking of relocating to Chilliwack or any other city may be a bit reluctant now. After the Americans were turned down any team wanting to move will really have to know they have support from the overwelming majority of team owners. The precident has been set and owners will get very nervous to get into the same predicament that the Ams owners have. Maybe the league is happy having 20 teams and 4 balanced divisions with 5 teams in each division. The only exception that I can personally see now is a team wanting to move with in their own division.

ScottyWazz
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Well-- if you look at who voted them down; you see Prince George there. I've heard something about the PG team thinking of getting out of PG and relocating somewhere. That's where the whole thing that the Chilliwack people could be talking about.

It's good to see the Ams get another chance, but you have to wonder if this helps or hurts the team in the long run.

RunTheGoalie
04-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I listened to a radio interview today from one of the people in Chilliwack, can't remember his name but he was either the developer of the rink or a city official, but, he had said that as soon as the building was complete they had had a number of different teams from the Dub interested in information about the rink etc.

What he implied was that there was more than 1 team interested in possibly moving there. That may be why the vote was so strong against Tri moving.

On the surface that makes sense, but I'm not sure it stands up to a logic test.

If the teams that voted against the move were considering a move themselves, only Prince George would be a logical team to vote a move to Chilliwack down.

Red Deer is not looking to move anywhere, and I'm not sure about Brandon. Moose Jaw and Saskatoon (as a flip with the AHL team) would easily rather go to Edmonton for that $5 million offer, so putting a team in Chilliwack wouldnt affect anything.

While it would never happen, I would like to hear what each team's reason for denying the move are. Red Deer especially I can't wrap my head around.

Flathead
04-02-2005, 01:21 AM

I suggested this earlier. If you can get a good group together, it works very well. Try to find out who is putting this group together, get names, spread the word, SAVE YOUR TEAM! Good luck Tri Cities! :thumb:

Jovorock
04-02-2005, 09:50 AM
I would like to hear what each team's reason for denying the move are. Red Deer especially I can't wrap my head around.
I heard that these teams were pissed off that Porter didn't move to Tri City like he promised when they approved him buying he team. Porter never got the community involved and it looks like all he was trying to do was buy the team and move it to the lower mainland.

Board of Govenors did what I believe was best for the league, keep the US division strong and intact with five teams. Porter is now a lame duck owner, he would have to do alot of sucking up or sell the Ams to local ownership.

AMS Princess
04-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I hadnt heard that!!! I'll go on record saying I would support any business willing to go in on this deal. I hope it works out for them. Any idea on what businesses are talking about this?

I know Bergstrom Aircraft is one of the business. Malin B. has basically been the main spokeperson for this group. Now they are looking for the support. Click on the link below and register your support for the AMS to stay.

http://www.kndu.com/article.src?ID=33117&V=&Type=News&0424d64b1d

AMS Princess
04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
:skeptical Long from over I guess...

================================================== ========

WHL Notebook

Stephen Snelgrove, with files from Iain MacIntyre
Vancouver Sun

Saturday, April 02, 2005

KELOWNA -- As improbable as it sounds, the proposed move of the Tri-City Americans to Chilliwack may not be dead.

A movement is afoot to try and convince at least three of the nine Western Hockey League governors who voted against the transfer of the financially troubled franchise to alter their stance. The WHL board of governors voted 11-9 in favour of granting the transfer application, but 14 were needed to formally approve the move.

The biggest dilemma now facing WHL is how the Americans' ownership group, which includes Darryl Porter, Brian Burke and Glen Sather, can go back to Tri-City and expect any form of public support following the ordeal.

They must also try and strike a new lease agreement with the owners of the Three Rivers Coliseum, who will be demanding at least a three-year agreement. The Americans' have lost money in each of the three seasons since Porter's group purchased the team for $2.2 million U.S., and they are leery of signing up for three more years of financial hemorrhaging.

The effort to resurrect the move is apparently being led by a pair of B.C. based owners -- Vancouver's Ron Toigo and Kelowna's Bruce Hamilton. The two spent considerable time Friday attempting to sway the rest of the league's governors to re-examine its decision. If those attempts are unsuccessful, Porter's group may be forced to sell the franchise. A consortium of local businessmen has stepped forward and indicated it is willing to pay $3 million U.S. for the team while the Edmonton Oilers have a standing offer of $4 million U.S.

Seattle Thunderbirds owner Russ Farwell said that the matter needs to be addressed sooner than later.

"I wouldn't say the issue is entirely resolved," Farwell told the Seattle Times. "The league would really like to see the team stay in the Tri-Cities, but that market will have to prove that it's viable in a short time. I don't see how the current ownership can stay there, so there needs to be some people serious about buying the team step forward."

That sentiment seems to be growing throughout the league.

"I don't know how they think they can go back there and sell tickets," Blazers' GM Dean Clark told the Kamloops Daily News. "We could be right back at the table. There'll be something happen -- and we might even be back there within a week."

The Spokane Chiefs led the charge against the move with the three other U.S. based franchises (Seattle, Everett and Portland) also voting no. The five Canadian-based teams casting no ballots were Prince George, Saskatoon, Brandon, Medicine Hat and Red Deer. Prince George owner Rick Brodsky was perhaps the biggest surprise among the no votes. Brodsky, who moved the Cougars' franchise to northern B.C. from Victoria in the '90s, may covet the Fraser Valley market for himself as he admits to holding talks to that extent with representatives of the Prospera Centre.

"We did have a discussion with them, but it was for ammunition in our negotiations," Brodsky claimed on Friday.