PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Parker has some dealing to do

nivek_wahs
04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=745403e2-32af-4c6b-ae76-ba2c721b54af

Pats' Parker has some dealing to do

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Regina Pats are ready for a new season of 'Let's make a deal.'

Pats GM Brent Parker is busy setting the foundation for trades that may be consummated over the summer and perhaps into the fall. In fact, some of those discussions could bear fruit as early as Thursday's WHL bantam draft.

"Traditionally there's not a ton of that at the draft, but there certainly there will be talk," Parker said Monday while making final preparations for the draft. "A lot of times the groundwork gets laid for later deals, but we've had some discussions with some teams on a couple things. Obviously we have an abundance of (20-year-olds) so it's something we've talked to teams about. We've had some inquiries on some of our guys so maybe there's an opportunity (to get something done), whether it be to pick up draft picks or younger list players that we can look at as well."

The Pats would like to replace the third- and fourth-round picks they traded away earlier this year, but it remains to be seen if the price will be right. Parker isn't willing to meet an exorbitant pricetag for those picks, especially given the depth of his list players from the 2006 and 2007 drafts.

Regina is slated to pick 17th out of 22 teams in the first round of Thursday's draft by virtue of its sixth-place finish in the overall WHL standings (44-22-4-2). Parker will listen to offers for the 17th pick, whether it means moving up or down.

"Absolutely I think it's something you have to consider," said the veteran GM, who is impressed with the depth of the draft through the first two rounds. "Probably a more likely scenario would be to move down just based on not having as many bullets in the gun to move up. But we would consider anything. If we get to our pick and we felt we still had a group of 10 or 15 guys who are all in that same range, then maybe we would consider moving down and trying to pick up a draft pick or two that way. I don't think it would hurt you. From (No.) 10 to 40, or in that range, they're all good players. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, but good players in their own right."

Although it's possible that a more significant trade could develop, Parker's immediate priority is to provide director of scouting Todd Ripplinger with additional ammunition.

Regina's third-round pick was sent to the Prince Albert Raiders, along with Jared Jagow, in the Ryan DePape deal. The Pats' fourth-rounder went to the Kamloops Blazers in the Nick Ross deal which landed defencemen Ryan Bender and Victor Bartley.

Bartley is one of seven players eligible for three 20-year-old spots on next season's roster. The others are captain Logan Pyett (likely to turn pro), DePape, centre Scott Doucet, left-winger Josh Elder, centre Kirt Hill and left-winger Michael MacAngus.

One or more of those players could be dangled in hopes of adding the aforementioned draft picks. Hill is a good example of a valuable player Regina would like to keep in the fold, but there may not be room with Doucet, Bartley and MacAngus looking like the top candidates for the three overage spots.

Regina also has a major decision to make between the pipes, with backup Jeff Bosch poised to challenge Linden Rowat for the starter's job. Rookie Damien Ketlo, 17, is ready to move onto the roster while top prospect Derek Tendler, 16, is knocking at the door.

"We've looked at a couple of things," Parker said of his wide-ranging trade talks. "I'd like to pick up another pick in those rounds (the third and fourth). If it can't be both I'd like to at least get one. We've explored some other options as well where we can maybe pick up a couple picks. It's something we'll look at."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-29-2008, 12:21 PM
You cant say this wasn't expected.

However, I dont think the pats will deal any 'big fish' during the draft, which means that our goaltender situation will probably still be a main focus by camp. Perhaps Ketlo might get dealt, but it would be smart to keep Rowat before training camp comes around.

We might deal a couple of overagers though. Guys like Elder wont get a fair chance to make the team next season, so whats the point of holding onto him? Im sure teams are willing to give up a lower bantam pick for some toughness, or we could add to that to get a higher pick. Maybe Depape too, as he didnt really thrive here in Regina. He still has some value left (though we wont get half of what we traded for him), so I'd say he is almost guarenteed gone. What would be the point of keeping him, and trading for a bantam pick for next year, when this draft is considered to be a very strong one, and it is coming up right away.

Saskatoons only "20 year olds" are Klotz, and Reich...and I would assume that one or both are probably gone...so they could be a good trading partner. As would Seattle also has 2 OA spaces open(assuming Holloway goes pro), and they have quite a bit of 19 year olds with budding offensive skills.

With Pyett probably going to pro, that would leave Macangus, Hill, Doucet and Bartley. I see Macangus as someone with more value on the trade market than on our team right now, while guys like Doucet and Hill wont fetch much in trades, yet will still be key parts to the team. MAC could get us a 4th or so if we trade him here, but I would much rather exchange him for a younger, offensive roster player. No need to rush anything though.

Im interested in anyone elses thoughts on trading during the bantam draft. Got any particular players on your wishlist there, kevin? Or maybe Patdude or any other fans still wasting their time on here might have some ideas.

nivek_wahs
04-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Wishlist? You better believe it. But none of the players that I would like to see in a Pats sweater would ever be acquired.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Really helpful today, kevin ;). I really doubt we see guys like Ennis, or Schenn in a pats uniform without trading too much. But its nice to dream.

What about Evan Pighin from the 'wack? There is your 20+ goal scorer(22G in 53 GM), probably could score more.

They desperately need puck moving defencemen. Trade them an offensive-minded defenceman(possibly Jackson), a young D-man(Kulchar or Koltyn Miller?) and a throw in OA, like Depape, or Macangus... for Pighin and a throw-in pick/roster player.

I know its not very specific on our end, but trust me, the two defencemen along with an adequate replacement would be a sufficiant offer for an OA and a pick to even the proposal out.

Or how about Breitkreutz from the oil kings? He plays a decent physical game, along with a blend of skill(15 goals and just under .50PPG on an expansion team), and he is 19. Would be a great pickup. We got his brother in the system too. Dont know what the oil kings would want for him though, seeing as how they have alot of young players already.

patsdude114
04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
These 20 yr olds are so hard to deal before/start of any season cause every team knows that there will be a few decent one's avaible once they get released due to too many on a roster. Most times you only get back a lower draft pick anyways.

No one really wants to give up any type of a younger guy (with protential) for a avg (at best) 20 yr old. Doucet, Hill and MacAngus are just avg 20 yr olds not really going to get anything for these guys unless there is a 19 or 18 yr old involved in the deal. I cant really see Parker trading away any of our 18 or 19 yr olds before the season. Even with our crowded crease I think Bosch or Rowat wont get moved at least until the 2nd week in october. Let them dual it out in training camp for that #1 job/the direction we are going to take.

I like both Bosch and Rowat as keepers, Rowat has to have a strong camp to stick around. Looking at how many offensive youngster's who have a good chance at makeing out team in the fall keeping Rowat around may be the best way to go. Trading Bosch can land you a good 19 yr old up front. Where Rowat all your going to get is a young prospect, any team that would be interested in Rowat wont want to trade away a top player on their team if they are getting a very solid goaltender.

So as for predictions on any type of trades, I dont think (for now anyways) im going to make any comments on it. Ill leave that in Parker and Ripplinger's hands.

Only thing i will state is......... I think MacAngus is the odd man out. He didnt have a strong season to begin with, and Leffler is more then capable of playing and creating room out there for Eberle.

dsquared
05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Parker got outsmarted on his Jan 08 trades. He acquired the 19 year olds (DePape, Doucet, & Bartley) with thought of cashing in some of 19 year olds for draft picks at this year's draft.
Come on why was any other team going to trade for our 08/09 20 year olds now? When they could get them for next to nothing Sept/Oct. That's how we got Tolpeko in 05/06.....

I know that come Thanksgiving, the team will not look like it does right now but as they stand, the Pats are going to have troubles making the playoffs.
________
Problems From Prilosec (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

nivek_wahs
05-02-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=465839ca-5b7c-4ad9-b149-99356fb6b39d

Focusing on draft day trumped any potential trades

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, May 02, 2008

The trade winds were reduced to a light breeze at the 2008 WHL bantam draft.

"There certainly wasn't a lot," said Pats GM Brent Parker. "There were some moves involving draft picks but that was the extent of it. I wasn't entirely surprised. At the draft often it's more laying the groundwork for future trades, not so much right now."

Parker, who has an excess of 20-year-olds and goaltenders, will be forced to make some moves before the start of next season.

Did he make any progress during the draft?

"I don't know if they were real productive but we had some discussions," he said. "We'll see where they go down the road. I wouldn't say anything too substantial (was accomplished)."

Parker was more focused on trying to fill at least one of the holes created by earlier trades involving his third- and fourth-round picks (to Prince Albert for Ryan DePape and to Kamloops for Ryan Bender). But it takes two to tango and Parker didn't have any luck finding a dance partner.

"I was a little bit disappointed but we weren't going to give up a whole bunch just for the sake of doing it," he said. "There was one (player) going into the third round that was still there and we thought we might be able to get him. We talked to a team (about acquiring their third-round pick). It looked like they were going to do it and then the guy we wanted got picked anyway and then the team came back and changed their mind. That's the way it works. There didn't seem to be as much interest in teams wanting to make those moves so we were fine with that."

In the end, Parker settled for acquiring extra picks in the eighth and ninth rounds from the Seattle Thunderbirds. In exchange, the Pats granted Seattle an open spot on its 50-player protected list.

"It just allowed us to move up a little bit," Parker said of the deal.

"It's frustrating when you have to sit there (for two rounds without a pick) but that's the way it goes," noted director of scouting Todd Ripplinger. "You're the scout, you're greedy, you want picks, but it is what it is. I thought we did really well (in spite of the gap)."

In total, Regina selected 10 players on Thursday: Three defencemen, three centres, three wingers and one goalie. The Pats also continued the trend of staying close to home by choosing five players from Saskatchewan, adding three from Alberta, one from B.C. and one from Manitoba.

"I thought we balanced our draft really well," added Ripplinger, who declared the draft a success while also expressing optimism that his staff unearthed a couple of late-round gems. "We're always excited at this time of year, so we'll see how good they are in a couple years. I was excited about Jordan Eberle when we took him in the seventh round (in 2005) but I didn't know he'd score 42 goals as a 17-year-old. That would have made me really happy."

First-round picks in the WHL bantam draft by the Regina Pats:

2008 (17th overall): D Myles Bell.

2007 (13th): C Dominick Favreau.

2006 (14th): F Brett Miller.

2005 (1st): D Colten Teubert

2004 (5th): LW Brett Leffler

2003 (11th): D Logan Pyett

2002 (16th): D Tanner Stockwell

2001 (15th): D Max Gordichuk

2000 (10th): D Shawn Belle

1999 (4th): F Paul Brown

1998 (17th): C Grant Jacobsen