PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Dalton Thrower...

Trav
05-01-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.squamishchief.com/madison%5CWQuestion.nsf/SCsports/480F473DD7062F8E882573E1007EF8C2?OpenDocument

Dalton Thrower makes Team B.C., heads to Nagano

By
Reporter
Neil Judson njudson@squamishchief.com

Blueliner Dalton Thrower is heading to Japan to represent British Columbia at the Under-16 Memorial Cup celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Nagano Olympics. The 14-year-old was one of six defencemen selected from the province to wear the maple leaf against Russia and Japan from Feb. 7-11.

Making the cut is a tremendous achievement for the hockey player who moved from Squamish to the North Shore last September as it emphasizes that he’s truly one the brightest young stars emerging from the west coast.

“He’s in elite company from the province on that team,” said his “AAA” North Shore Winter Club coach Jim Dinwoodie. “He’s an exceptional kid and I was really happy to see him move on. He’s definitely got bigger and better things ahead of him.”

Thrower’s addition to Team B.C. coincided with making the Under-16 Zone 5 roster for the B.C. Winter Games being held in Cranbrook Feb. 21-24. About 80 kids tried out in early January to represent the Vancouver-Squamish region while hundreds more competed to play for seven other zones around the province. Two kids from each zone were then selected for the international competition (three were chosen from Zone 5).

Thrower’s father Murray was overcome with emotion when he was told his son would be representing Canada overseas. “I couldn’t speak,” he said of getting the phone call. “It just means something so important, it really does. All the sacrifices that our families made for this to happen, it’s pretty awesome.”

Last year, Thrower billeted with a family in Kelowna while attending the Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy, whose students undergo an intense academic and athletic regimen based on developing hockey and life skills. Although it was tough on the Throwers to send their son – then 12 years old – away for school, the personal growth they witnessed in him was astounding, said Murray.

“It was way more than hockey that he took out of that, and I give them a lot of credit for making him the kind of player that he is right now.”

Despite success at the academy, Thrower joined the Bantam North Shore Winter Club this season in order to start competing against more players and gain exposure for the Bantam Western Hockey League (WHL) draft. At 5’11” and 170 lbs, the physical but offensive defender has played a big part in the “AAA” team’s undefeated season, said Dinwoodie. “He skates really well, too. I think that will really separate him. And it’s his first year of ‘AAA’ so he’s still learning lots.”

Dinwoodie said he suspects Thrower will rank highly in the upcoming WHL draft. Scouts are beginning to discover the player who was relatively unknown in Squamish because he didn’t get to play many of the elite tournaments.

Meanwhile, Thrower’s attention is on Nagano, which will be his second international hockey experience having competed in Russia last spring.

Unfortunately, Thrower was unavailable to comment on his expectations for the trip across the Pacific… he was at hockey practice.

howley
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
sent away at 12...no comment.

Trav
05-01-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sure they kept in contact and saw their son on weekends and stuff.

howley
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
well of course they kept in contact with him. I question if it would be worth it or not to leave home at 12 to get drafted into the dub in the 2nd rd. Meanwhile a huge majority of players drafted ahead of you all live at home. I dont know, if your good, you'll get noticed wherever you are. It's just a different life than what most live I guess.

Reminds me of that Thomas Frazee documentary that CBC did. Didn't his parents legally divorce or something so he could play in Burnaby or wherever.

Tidball
05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
well of course they kept in contact with him. I question if it would be worth it or not to leave home at 12 to get drafted into the dub in the 2nd rd. Meanwhile a huge majority of players drafted ahead of you all live at home. I dont know, if your good, you'll get noticed wherever you are. It's just a different life than what most live I guess.

Reminds me of that Thomas Frazee documentary that CBC did. Didn't his parents legally divorce or something so he could play in Burnaby or wherever.
You have to make sacrifices along the road. Thats tough im sure, but the kid is great and theres no doubt in his parents mind that they want to see what he can do. You do get noticed when you're good, but you gotta move on for a better chance to develope.

You think Justin Pogge's Mom regretted almost going bankrupt to pay for her sons hockey?

Mamasita
05-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank you for your support!

I have to say that it was the hardest decision we have ever had to make, allowing our son to move away at 12 1/2 yrs (he is a late /93). Dalton is a mature young man and when he approached us to attend David Roy's Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy, it took alot of thought and we questioned ourselves many times.

There were numerous factors in our decision to allow him to go to the academy and one of them was that we knew the family who would take care of him very well. This wonderful family moved from their home town to Kelowna to take on the task of caring for 6 young men, (including their own son), who had played spring hockey together for 5 years. Each one of these boys has a great passion for this sport and wanted to share this together.

We all researched this school and found that it would offer so much more to our children than just hockey. We would highly recommend it to any family who wants to allow their child an experience of a lifetime. We really felt that if this was his passion, then as parents we would sacrifice much to allow him this experience.

I'm not writing this in defence of the decision that we made for our son. I'm simply putting it out there so it is clearer for those who may consider doing the same for their child. Hundreds of parents made this same decision and I know alot of us feel the same way. As a matter of fact some of these kids came from out of North America.

So...Dalton going 30th overall in the second round...would we change anything we allowed him to do? Not a chance...

wango tango
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
welcome mamasita to you, your family, and your son to the saskatoon blades. i'm looking forward to watching dalton at camp this year, and hopefully in a blades uniform in a couple of years time. the four young men saskatoon selected in the first two rounds will play a huge part in the blades future.

Mamasita
05-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you...looking forward to being a part of the Blades family! :)