PDA

View Full Version : Giants bantam picks

dondo
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
from the Giants web-site picks for 2008 and 2007

WHL Bantam Draft 2008 (http://whl.ca/hm/draft.php?round=1)

2008 GIANTS BANTAM DRAFT CLASS
1st Round Pick (20th)-ZACH HODDER-Defence (North Delta, B.C.)
3rd Round Pick (46th)-LUKE FENSKE-Defence (Penticton, B.C.)
3rd Round Pick (50th)-CAIN FRANSON-Left Wing (Sicamous, B.C.)
4th Round Pick (82nd)-SPENCER CROW-Right Wing (Melville, SK)
4th Round Pick (86th)-ANDRE PARKER-Centre (Melville, SK)
6th Round Pick (130th)-BRENDAN JENSEN-Goalie (El Granada, CA)
7th Round Pick (152nd)-NATHAN BURNS-Left Wing (Edmonton, AB)
8th Round Pick (174th)-ZACH HILLHOUSE-Defence (North Vancouver, BC)
10th Round Pick (218th)-AARON HADLEY-Right Wing (Castlegar, BC)

2007 GIANTS BANTAM DRAFT CLASS
1st Round Pick-MITCH SPOONER-Defence (Port Moody, B.C.)
3rd Round Pick-GREG LAMOUREUX-Centre (Calgary, AB)
3rd Round Pick-LANE SCHEIDL-Centre (Saskatoon, SK)
5th Round Pick-BRANDON SCHOLTEN-Defence (Langley, B.C.)
5th Round Pick-SIMON WITT-Defence (Victoria, B.C.)
6th Round Pick-MIKAEL JUNG-Right Wing (Nanaimo, B.C.)
6th Round Pick-WES VANNIEUWENHUIZEN-Defence (Chilliwack, B.C.)
7th Round Pick-SAHIR GILL-Centre (Abbotsford, B.C.)
9th Round Pick-BRENDAN GALLAGHER-Right Wing (Tsawwassen, B.C.)
10th Round Pick-J.T. BARNETT-Left Wing (Scottsdale, Arizona)
11th Round Pick-BEN OTTO-Centre (Calgary, AB)
11th Round Pick-DOMINIC TOIGO-Defence (Tsawwassen, B.C.)
11th Round Pick-JAY DEO-Goalie (Langley, B.C.)

old_time_hockey
05-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Can't wait to have another Frason in a Giants uniform.

That is really one athletic family. We all know about Cody. But their sister is a pretty good figure skater.

Swando
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I wonder who the Giants dropped from their list by adding thier new picks?...Also I thought that the Bantam draft was for bantam age players......the reason I mention this I noticed 2 players that had WHL experience come up in the later rounds....one being our famed "Phil Gervais" . He was drafted by the Oil Kings in the later rounds. Can anyone explain this to me?

N.W. Bruin
05-06-2008, 09:00 AM
I wonder who the Giants dropped from their list by adding thier new picks?...Also I thought that the Bantam draft was for bantam age players......the reason I mention this I noticed 2 players that had WHL experience come up in the later rounds....one being our famed "Phil Gervais" . He was drafted by the Oil Kings in the later rounds. Can anyone explain this to me?

It smells like a trade somehow. Where the Oil Kings got to add him from Portland for some reason. Cause the situation is if Gervais was to be released by the Hawks anyone could put him on their list.

As for the open spots. There is the overagers gone plus Machacek and Repik going on the pro list which is five spots open. The other spots would likely be guys from the 1990/91 age group no longer in the plans of the Giants. Former draft picks or just free agent listings.

dondo
05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
NWB __ Isn't there a time when the players who are drafted don't have to be on the PPL until they are capable of playing the dub?

I never understand how that all works, but something is making me believe that new draftees aren't part of the 50PPL until they are eligible to potentially play full time for the club.

Or am I just on crack with regard to this.

rinkrat
05-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Here ya go Dondo, got this from whl.ca.
Looks like they go straight onto the 50 PPL

About the Bantam Draft
Created:
The bantam draft allows for the orderly transfer of players to WHL Protected Player Lists (PPL) from the bantam ranks (14-15 year-olds).

The WHL Bantam Draft is an annual outing, in which the Club’s of the Western Hockey League select players who have graduated from bantam. The draft’s order of selection depends on where the team finishes in the League standings. The Club’s that miss the playoffs are placed into a lottery for the 1st round only. After the 1st round, the Club’s select in order from fewest to most regular season points.

A number of years ago, WHL Clubs were allowed to list first-year bantam players as of a set date in September. However, first-year bantams had been playing at the peewee level the previous year, and in order to list first-year bantams, WHL Clubs needed to scout the peewee ranks. This had many drawbacks including the need for extensive scouting systems along with the related expense, as well the added pressure on peewee-aged players (12-13 year-olds).

In order to get away from scouting peewees, the WHL instituted a bantam draft. WHL Clubs send scouts to watch first-year bantams from the start of the minor hockey season. After the season, the WHL holds a draft specifically to allow teams to add bantam players in an orderly manner to their protected lists. While this draft is the first opportunity for teams to select bantam players, it is not the last chance for a player to be listed. After the draft is completed, all the remaining bantams become eligible to be listed by teams, and many will be added as spots become available on Club's PPLs, or as a player's talents improve or are more noticeable at a later date or at a higher level of hockey.

During the bantam draft (typically held in early May), players from the four Western Provinces and the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are eligible to be selected. For the 2008 bantam draft, players born in 1993 may be selected.

dondo
05-07-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks rinkrat -- makes sense

I like the explanation as well, it looked as if they were nipping a bit of headhunting at the really young levels by teams and the bantam draft did that. So room has to be made for the new draftees. I was wondering why so many teams took byes come the 10th and 11th rounds and that explains that too.

how many players are we allowed to be ranked on the pro list? NWB was saying that Machacek and Repik going onto the pro list would free up spots on the 50PPL.

Swando
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Why then was it not listed as a trade for Gervais then? He showed up as a late round draft choice by the Oil Kings.

I just pulled this off the Edmonton site:

The Portland Winter Hawks surprised a few people by dropping St. Paul native and 3 year veteran Phil Gervais off their 50 man protected list. The Oil Kings used their 11th round pick to nab the 6', 178 pound winger who has played a total of 106 WHL games registering 6 goals and 5 assists to go along with 127 penalty minutes. The former Fort Saskatchewan Ranger was a former 3rd round Bantam pick by the Swift Current Broncos in 2005.

They will be in for a surprise!!!!!vci33

dondo
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
not surprised at all -- lots of effort little skill, even less hitting effectiveness. He has energy and tries really hard, but I still think he's out of his depth in the dub. Makes what we traded for him even more sickening.

oh wait a minute -- right you are rinkrat -- they will be in for a surprise.. :thumb:

Section_Z
05-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Why then was it not listed as a trade for Gervais then? He showed up as a late round draft choice by the Oil Kings.

I just pulled this off the Edmonton site:

The Portland Winter Hawks surprised a few people by dropping St. Paul native and 3 year veteran Phil Gervais off their 50 man protected list. The Oil Kings used their 11th round pick to nab the 6', 178 pound winger who has played a total of 106 WHL games registering 6 goals and 5 assists to go along with 127 penalty minutes. The former Fort Saskatchewan Ranger was a former 3rd round Bantam pick by the Swift Current Broncos in 2005.

They will be in for a surprise!!!!!vci33

The OIl Kings are an expansion team who picked him 224th. Only ten players got drafted after him. A guy with 100 games experience is not a bad flyer to take in the 11th round...
I would say that they know exactly who they picked... and if they are in for a surprise it will be a good one...

rinkrat
05-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I wasn't aware that current league players were eligible to be drafted again.
Why not just list him on your 50 PPL?

Swando
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I wasn't aware that current league players were eligible to be drafted again.
Why not just list him on your 50 PPL?

That was my question from the very beginning! And it took a full circle. As far as a surpriseto the Edmonton Oil Kiings. I doubt if he'll make it past their training camp. It was worth a flyer on him however.