PDA

View Full Version : Parker should remain as GM

nivek_wahs
05-02-2008, 09:17 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f587331f-5084-43e5-8dd7-addf74e18fe2

Parker should remain as GM

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, May 02, 2008

We begin today by acknowledging, with all due contrition, that this column is a failure. But, please, read on!

The objective was to extract a definitive answer from Brent Parker, who was asked Thursday whether he intends to remain as the Regina Pats' general manager for the 2008-09 WHL season.

The answer, as of this writing, is an unequivocal "who knows?''

A month ago, Parker deferred all inquiries regarding his future, saying that "after the bantam draft, I'll make my decision as to what I'm going to do.'' A mental note was taken. Within an hour of the draft's conclusion, I was peppering Parker with questions.

"It's a little too quick,'' Parker said while winding his way from Calgary to Springbank, Alta., to meet with first-round draftee Myles Bell.

For the next 12 minutes, I tried to get Parker to tip his hand regarding his intentions. I had the same type of luck back in 1992 when, at a weak moment, I wrote a Regina Sun column in which Meg Ryan was advised to marry me. Inexplicably, she did not respond.

As an example of my latest futility, consider this excerpt from Thursday's exchange:

Me: "Are you leaning in any direction?''

Parker: "I think I'm heading east right now, but I'm not entirely positive.''

This exercise has become a rite of spring. In recent years, Parker -- whose father, Russ, is the Pats' owner -- has typically taken a few weeks following the season to contemplate his future. As much as Parker enjoys the job, it does necessitate the sacrifice of time with his wife and two children. There are also job-induced pressures and stresses.

The 2007-08 campaign was surprisingly stressful in light of the fact that Regina captured its first East Division regular-season title in 10 years. The merriment was short-lived, however, as Regina bowed to the Swift Current Broncos in Round 1 of the playoffs.

"Driving back from Swift Current (after the season-ending defeat), it was like, 'I'm going to have to find a semi to drive in front of,' '' Parker said. "That's the emotion of it.''

Me: "Did the semi look tempting?''

Parker: "Not entirely. The way things were going, I probably would have bounced off the outside of the post, anyway.''

Comments of that nature are one reason why Parker is heartily advised to return for a 14th season as the Pats' GM. In a league that is largely bereft of characters, the invariably quotable Parker is a rare gem.

That said, glibness does not -- and should not -- guarantee employment. Parker is in a results-oriented business, and he understands that. The Pats have achieved a measure of success during his tenure, but there have also been repeated disappointments in the postseason. The loss to Swift Current removed some of the lustre from a first-place finish.

Keep in mind, though, that the Pats are making strides. Their top scorer, Jordan Eberle, just finished registering 42 goals as a 17-year-old. Defenceman Colten Teubert, another cornerstone player, was also 17 this past season.

In fairness to himself and the franchise, Parker should espouse continuity from the top down. Let's see how the Pats perform when Eberle and Teubert are 18 and 19.

Only then can Parker's work be fairly appraised by himself and others.

I tried selling that argument to Parker on Thursday, while also noting that his team possesses an array of talented skaters who will be 16 or 17 next season. He responded by noting that teams typically have an influx of young players, given the cyclical nature of junior hockey.

So much for that angle. No matter how many times I tried to get Parker to reveal his inclination, he did not bite.

"I've got to get away for a couple of days,'' he said. "Once we get back, I'll have an opportunity to kind of get my head clear and kind of inform everybody at that point what I'm doing.''

Suppose that he does step down. Would he leave the organization completely or remain involved while relinquishing the GM's reins.

"It could be both,'' he said.

"I have some (business) opportunities elsewhere that I've been approached about that are intriguing to me. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet, either. I know I still enjoy the kids and watching the kids grow and develop.''

So why not stick around for a while?

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008