PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Notes

Scout
05-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday notes
Sorry about not posting over the weekend....was out of town without access to a computer. I did see the first two games of the WHL final though, and my reaction is much the same as most observers so far: it's gonna be a short series if Lethbridge can't play any better than that. Domination is the word of the series so far.

I love this article though, it seems the Canes have figured out their problem: it's the Hitmen! Yes, they are apparently losing so badly to the Chiefs because the Hitmen didn't give them a stiff enough test in the semifinals. Now, how about my own theory of why they're losing: the Hurricanes are losing to Spokane for the same reason the Hitmen lost to them. That is, they are just getting smoked by a much better team.

Game three goes tonight in Lethbridge and is really a must-win for the Hurricanes. In fact, I would even say they need to win all three of the games in Lethbridge - tonight, tomorrow night, and Friday night.

To other WHL news, I see Kelowna fans may have some reason to be excited, as it appears a longshot pick by their team in last year's import draft might pay off next year. Kelowna gave up their 2008 first round import pick to get an extra first round pick last year which they used on Swedish winger Mikael Backlund. Backlund was signed by the NHL's Calgary Flames over the weekend and could find himself being assigned to Kelowna next year as a 19 year old. He was one of the best players at the World Juniors this year so that would be a serious boost for the Rockets next season if he were to play for them. It is possible though that the Flames might think Backlund's acclimation to the North American game would be better performed in the AHL instead though, in which case the Rockets will never see him. Or who knows, he could crack the NHL roster too. We're seeing more and more 18/19 year olds in the NHL these days and based on Backlund's World Junior performance, he might be ready. We'll see in the fall I guess.

Bocephus
05-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Wouldn't that be something. Backlund a Rocket. The rest of the league better watch out if that happens.