PDA

View Full Version : Game 4 (Spoke v. Leth)

Pete76
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Anyone know if McCrae is going to be able to play tonight? Did he get a concussion last night? Local radio blurb suggested he might not be able to go. If he is hurt ... best wishes.

Bocephus
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Anyone know if McCrae is going to be able to play tonight? Did he get a concussion last night? Local radio blurb suggested he might not be able to go. If he is hurt ... best wishes.
I haven't heard anything.
As far as that hit being late I have to disagree. Others have said it Pete, not you.
The highlights can be seen on www.lethbridgeherald.com the link is in the top left corner. To me the hit was legal. McRae didn't have much time to turn his head after passing. Then another pass and the Chief undressed Wright and scored. It is painful to watch as a Canes fan. The more I watch those highlights the more I think the Canes really deserved the win more than the Chiefs.
What can we do though. It is what it is.
I thought the Canes really started to forecheck well and delivered several thunderous checks that seemed to turn the game in their favor in the early part of the second. I think if we can continue that and the puck luck start to favor us then we could win this one tonight. You know what they say. One game at a time.
Go Canes Go.
btw, Tokarski looks like a short Giguere. Are there no equipment rules in the dub?
cheers and best to all tonight. Enjoy our city Spokane.

LinkGaetzFan
05-07-2008, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Bocephus]
btw, Tokarski looks like a short Giguere. Are there no equipment rules in the dub?
/QUOTE]

Nipicky, aren't we? I guess if my team was being blown out I'd do the same, especially if I predicted my team sweeping the series, only to have a reversed scenario presenting itself.

Pete76
05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
no problem with the hit ... it was clean, blackwater knocked someout out of the series with tri with a hit like that ... glad he was on the ice tonight ... congrats to the Canes for getting this far, congrats to the Chiefs 20's for all their hard work ... not one fight the entire playoffs for the chiefs, just got down to business ... I am not sure where this D came from, but they have found their stride ... I hope the guys enjoy this for what it is worth.

dondo
05-07-2008, 09:57 PM
The hit was clean (and a really nice open ice hit -- thought it might have been elbowing, but the elbow came up after the shoulder connected so the hit was clean), but McCrae never touched the puck so technically it was interference.

Watched most of tonight, had to catch up with game 3 on tape and I missed about half of game 4. The Chiefs are very good in games which clinch the series and seem to find a whole other level to their game for them.

I would be very, very surprised to see the Chiefs come out of the Mem Cup not hoisting the Cup. I really don't think that the teams in the East have one clue how to play as complete a game as the teams in the dub do and particularly the Chiefs. Spoke is a chameleon team and adjusts their game to best match their opponent and that has done them very well in these playoffs.

Great team effort, lots hustling at all ends of the ice and well-earned sweep versus a very good Hurricanes squad.

Congrats to the Chiefs for hoisting the first Ed Chynoweth Cup (formerly the uber lamely named Presidents Cup), well -earned and class all the way. Looks like Armstrong might be dealt in the off-season as he was a pretty pouty boy during the hand-shake, hopefully he stows that pout before heading to Kitchener.

loudi94
05-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Looks like Armstrong might be dealt in the off-season as he was a pretty pouty boy during the hand-shake, hopefully he stows that pout before heading to Kitchener.
I missed that. What did he do this time?

localguy
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Way to go Chiefs, class act all the way. Not one cheap shot, scrum or dirty play all series. No beaking the ref's, no diving, just hard work and great hockey. You will do the dub proud, show em how the west was won boys.

the flying moose
05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Congrats to Spokane. Now kick some butt and show them how we do it in the WHL.

Sorcere
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats Spokane! Go bring a Memorial Cup home for the WHL!

canes77
05-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Good luck Spokane, I will cheer for you for sure in the Memorial Cup! I felt Leth was good enough to win the Memorial Cup, so the Chiefs should have no trouble :D with their tight defense and amazingly quick transition game.

Kitchener should be the only/main competition, so go show them that the West is Best!

tigerfan
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Wishing the team and fans good luck at the Memorial Cup. Chiefs are a classy team with no cheap shots in all the series I watched. You definitely deserve to be there.
Seems like the players didn't want to leave the ice last night as they must have been on the ice for 40 minutes after they were presented the league trophy. Class act when they went over to the section their fans were sitting in to thank them for their support and then the fans and families went on the ice to enjoy the celebration. Now on to Kitchener and good luck Chiefs.

HomerSimpson
05-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your support, everyone. Amazing to see this team that finished with only 43 points and last in the league 2 years ago come out and play with the heart and dedication they did this season. They came out from day 1 with a never say die attitude, playing every game like it's their last. Hopefully they play that way in Kitchener and repeat history from 1991 after sweeping Lethbridge.

Amazing, the last time the Chiefs won the WHL Championship, Jared Cowen wasn't even born.

GO CHIEFS GO

:clap: pbj dancing pi :bounce: :groovy:

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-08-2008, 01:17 PM
The hit was clean (and a really nice open ice hit -- thought it might have been elbowing, but the elbow came up after the shoulder connected so the hit was clean), but McCrae never touched the puck so technically it was interference.

I would be very, very surprised to see the Chiefs come out of the Mem Cup not hoisting the Cup. I really don't think that the teams in the East have one clue how to play as complete a game as the teams in the dub do and particularly the Chiefs. .

I was a clean hit and McRea not only touched the puck but made a nice backhand pass on the play. He was guilty of watching his pass and not the ice, but he sure did touch it.

I am not so sure the East is as bad as you keep saying. Remember we won the last cup but before that there were 2 Q teams (Final = Quebec 6 - Moncton 2) in the Cup final and before that I think London smoked everybody. Kitchener does not seem like an incomplete team to me but we will have to see. I will say if any of those teams do not have speed to burn they might see Spoke walk all over them. We can analyze the Chief's/Canes's series all we want but it was plain and simple.................there never ending speed that burned us badly. We were supposed to be a team built on speed but looked too slow against the Chiefs.

dondo
05-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I suppose I am a bit jaded because the two squads which came from the East to the Memorial Cup last year, frankly stunk.

The Maineiacs rode a hot goalie (one Jonathan Bernier and he was fantastic) and had one elite player. The Plymouth Whalers were really big and hit well, but when they came up against the Giants and Tigers they got demolished.

The whalers were slow and poor positionally and the two dub squads (neither of whom were the kind of speedster team the Chiefs are) were able to play patient hockey, run them out of room and battle harder on the boards than the Whalers could muster, they also did not get intimidated by the Whalers hitting.

I believe we are spoiled in the dub, because there are so many teams who play a complete game. The O and the Q both tend to be all offense and very little D other than their goalies who tend to be elite because they face so many shots and odd-man situations, being left high and dry by skilled cherry pickers hanging out at the far blue-line and not coming back to back check.

Small wonder the dub actually has the distinction of having the most NHL draft picks of any league in the world.

dondo
05-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I missed that. What did he do this time?

Just some seriously half-hearted hand shaking and not sporting the infectious grin every other Chief player was wearing. Just kind of bugged me and after reading that he might have been a bit bush league earlier in the series I made a point to watch how he reacted to the win.

I'm sure he was happy, just maybe a competitive spirit and frustrated he's been sitting on the bench. Which is understandable.

HomerSimpson
05-09-2008, 09:10 AM
23% of all NHL players are former members of the 'dub...

Armstrong will not be a Chief next season, barring any miracles. Tokarski would have to make an NHL team, and we'd have to be pretty desperate to keep Armstrong as an OA. James Reid waits in the wings for his shot next season at being Tokarski's backup.

dondo
05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Not surprised by this news. I think Armstrong might have saw this year as his chance to step it up, but Tokarski was better, younger and deserved to get the starter nod late in the season.