PDA

View Full Version : Klotz signs with Philly

nivek_wahs
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=de8fbad4-1fff-438a-b74d-80994711eba0

Former Blades brawler seems like a good fit in Philly

Darren Zary, Saskatchewan News Network; Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, May 09, 2008

SASKATOON -- Garrett Klotz is about to earn a fistful of dollars. The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Saskatoon Blade -- who made a name for himself as a heavyweight champion in the Western Hockey League -- has come to terms on a three-year deal with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers.

Details of the contract were not disclosed.

"We like a lot of things about Garrett," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said in a phone interview.

"He's a big kid that can skate.

"We think he can turn into a good player.

"For a guy as big as he is, he moves pretty good. His puck skills are OK. He's a guy who could develop into a good third- or fourth-line player who can go up and down the wing, run into people, go to the net. The fact that he can fight a little bit is a good thing, even though it's not that big of a deal anymore."

Philadelphia is taking a flyer on Klotz, a 19-year-old who didn't even play midget AAA. The Blades found a home for him after the Red Deer Rebels gave up on the project player.

"To think that three or four years ago, I was playing midget AA hockey in Regina (with the Hawks)," Klotz said. "I would have never expected this in my wildest dreams. It's very thrilling."

Jeff Helperl, a player agent with Saskatoon-based Thunder Creek Sports Management and an alumnus of the Regina Pats, said the guaranteed signing bonus for each of the three years "is a hair under what a first-rounder would get. On the signing-bonus side, it's near the cap."

Said Klotz: "I've already got a new vehicle, so I'll probably invest (the signing bonus)."

Klotz has scored five goals through three WHL seasons.

He racked up 203 penalty minutes during the last two seasons with the Blades.

"My first year in Saskatoon I think I had 18 fights,'' he said. "Last year, I don't think I had too many willing customers, so I only got up to about 12.

"I don't think I've ever cleanly lost a fight."

Klotz has been developing his game since attending Flyers' training camp last fall.

"(The Flyers) have always been known as a gritty team," he said. "I'm going to fit right into the system."

Although Klotz is eligible to return to the Blades as an overager, Blades assistant coach Dave Struch believes Klotz is physically ready to make the jump.

"I'm a big fan of his," Struch said. "I always stayed out after practice and Garrett was always first or second in line when we were doing something extra.

"He really deserves this.

"As far as what he did for us this year, every night there was always somebody who didn't want to fight him.

"Hopefully we do get him back, but if he does move on, all the credit to him."

Added Blades head coach and general manager Lorne Molleken: "His overall hockey improved this year. I give Garrett a lot of credit because not too many people believed in him or thought he could accomplish it. He worked endless hours in the gym to get stronger and spent the extra time on the ice to improve his hockey skills."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Dwight Schrute
05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
who made a name for himself as a heavyweight champion
WOW

"I don't think I've ever cleanly lost a fight."
WOW

and WOW Boogaard'd Boogaard'd Boogaard'd

Tidball
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
WOW

WOW

and WOW Boogaard'd Boogaard'd Boogaard'd

Philly signed him for a reason. Maybe its not biased when it seems like Blades fans are always saying hes winning.

To be fair, he took out McClaren and won the belt the final time MJ was in SK.

Link Dog
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Still wish we would have got him at the deadline. IMO he would have kept the Pats more accountable in the first round and limited our injuries. Always was a fan of Klotz, good luck in your career Garrett.

Scout
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
We sustained alot of injuries in the playoffs because we were roughed up and pushed around. I think we both agreed from the begining that we needed a legit tough guy and Klotz would have filled that roll. The thing that scares me is our toughness looks no better for the future.

Scout