PDA

View Full Version : Eberle a man on the move

nivek_wahs
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b498f8ed-0262-40d3-91c3-4fa02f456498

Eberle a man on the move

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, May 09, 2008
Offseason? What offseason?

These are busy times for Jordan Eberle, who has barely had time to take a breath since the Regina Pats were eliminated from the WHL playoffs March 29.

The 17-year-old right winger left almost immediately after the season to join the Canadian under-18 team, which went on to win a gold medal at the world championship in Kazan, Russia.

Just a week after returning to Canadian soil, Eberle attended the WHL's annual awards luncheon in Calgary, where he was named the league's top scholastic player.

Now he's busy training for the NHL draft combine, which is slated for May 26 to June 1 in Toronto.

A top prospect for the NHL entry draft (June 20-21 in Ottawa), Eberle is one of 26 WHL players who have been invited to the combine, joined by Pats defencemen Colten Teubert and Matt Delahey.

Teubert and Eberle were also teammates at the world under-18s.

"It was definitely a disappointment in the playoffs to be out so early, but for me and Colten we were kind of fortunate that we got to keep our season going with Team Canada," said Eberle, who led the Pats this season with 42 goals.

"We finished (the season) off on a high note. But now that that's over the mentality kind of switches to the draft. We're both looking forward to it. It should be a good experience."

Not only did Eberle come home from Russia with a gold medal, he was also a key performer for Canada. He finished as the third-leading scorer in the tournament with four goals and 10 points in seven games.

"It's kind of cool to say you're a gold medallist," he said. "I played with the other Canadian (under-18) team (last summer) where we had all our top-end players. Being part of this team, we gelled so quickly.

"From Day 1 it seemed like we were all getting along and we didn't really have any egos. I think that was definitely a problem in the last tournament we went to where we finished fourth. It was definitely the best experience I've had with Canada thus far. Winning the gold medal, it doesn't get much better than that. Especially to win it by such a big score (8-0) in Russia's home city. It was unbelievable."

Eberle said he has already "talked to a few teams" heading into this summer's draft. He'll be under the microscope at the combine, where teams often try to rattle players during the interview process with unusual questions designed to test their ability to think on their feet.

"I've been interviewed by a few teams, so I've kind of got a taste of the crazy questions," said Eberle, who will also undergo a variety of fitness testing.

"For the most part, you don't really know where you're going to (be drafted). There's always Central Scouting, but if you look back on it in the past, the guys who've been ranked haven't even gone close to where they were touted to go. I don't think it really matters to me where I go. To be drafted would be unbelievable, just a dream of mine. To get into an organization would be phenomenal."

Eberle was ranked 33rd by Central Scouting among North American-based skaters. That places him on target to be selected in the second round -- perhaps sooner, perhaps later.

Asked if he plans to attend the draft in person, Eberle said he's still undecided.

"I've heard mixed rumours where you shouldn't go to the draft if you don't think you're going to go in the first round," he said in reference to players who have been forced to linger when their stock fell.

"You know what? You never know. I'm leaning towards yes, just because I know you're not going to get a second shot at it. It's once in a lifetime and it would be kind of cool to go."

Regardless of what happens, Eberle insists he won't be disappointed.

"I know it's a possibility I could go in the first round," he said. "I know I could go in the second, third round, but honestly it doesn't matter to me. Being drafted in the seventh round in bantam, I've already kind of been through it. I've realized through the years that it doesn't matter where you go. As long as you get into an organization, you're going to get a shot. If I end up going (to the draft) and I don't go until the fourth round, it doesn't matter to me."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008