PDA

View Full Version : Cougars 08/09/Mem Cup 2010

Teacher
05-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Any ideas about the make up of the Cougars for next season...
Some Guesses ---
Goal
Curtis / then a battle between Wright and Danyluk
Defence
Magnussen?/Thiessen/Hobbs/Bidlevski/McDonald 16/ then who is 5,6,and 7

Forwards
16 year olds first
Connelly/Buonassisi/G Fraser

Kowalski / Stanfield / C Tryell
D Tyrell / Hunt / Deagle
Maylin / Reige /Poulter
extra forward?

Any others on - others off??

TwoBits
05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, if Magnussen chooses not to return, PG will have no 20 year olds and room for another European player. Maybe they can snag a 20 year old defenseman that loses the numbers game.

I haven't really been paying attention to the speculations of the other teams' fans to see who might be up for grabs.

the flying moose
05-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Any ideas about the make up of the Cougars for next season...
Some Guesses ---
Goal
Curtis / then a battle between Wright and Danyluk
Defence
Magnussen?/Thiessen/Hobbs/Bidlevski/McDonald 16/ then who is 5,6,and 7

Forwards
16 year olds first
Connelly/Buonassisi/G Fraser

Kowalski / Stanfield / C Tryell
D Tyrell / Hunt / Deagle
Maylin / Reige /Poulter
extra forward?

Any others on - others off??

From the things I've heard (all rumors at this point) is that Magnussen isn't coming back.

Kupec probably won't be back either so that leaves the Cats with no imports or overagers.

Forwards -
I am not worried about that. I think we have a good group of experienced and up and comers that stepped up nicely last season. The young guys were lucky and got to get plenty of ice time and boosted their experience level. I'd like to see Hunt step it up next season. He was on fire at the beginning and then missed a lot of games with an injury and he looked like he had troubles after that. He just didn't seem like himself. If he played the way he play in 06-07 then I will be happy.

Defense -
If Magnussen is out then that leaves Thiessen as the most experienced d-man. That isn't a bad thing as his play is solid and work ethic is 2nd to none on the team. Thiessen hasn't had the opportunity as the #1 d-man and has always been one of our tough guys. Now that he is the #1 guy he won't be able to do as much of the rough stuff that he does so well. If he fights and is in the box then we really don't have anyone to rely on. I'd like to see them get a good 18yr old d-man who can play the role Thiessen has played the last few seasons. The younger guys are doing ok and are making mistakes but thats expected and with more experience most of them will be solid. I liked Hobbs this year and I liked Bidlevski but he was injured for a fair bit and didn't play as aggressive as he did before he got hurt.

Goal -
This is what worries me. Wright and Danyluk are unproven as to what they can do at this level. I have never really liked Curtis and was never impressed with his play. Plus he had injuries at the end of the season that kept him out for the last month or so. With a starting goalie with potential injury problems and two unproven back-ups we have an issue. If Curtis gets hurt again we are left starting a goalie with little or no WHL playing experience. I'd like to see them bring in a 19yr old goalie as a starter and have Curtis as a backup. I just don't think Curtis has what it takes to start (yet). This would give the team another year to groom a backup and maybe next season give Curtis the start. Or if we get really lucky with a goalie we keep him as an overager for the season after. I think this is the position they have to worry about dealing with first.

By no means am I a hockey "expert" nor do I claim to be and all this is just my opinion and should not be taken any other way.

TwoBits
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
From the things I've heard (all rumors at this point) is that Magnussen isn't coming back.

Kupec probably won't be back either so that leaves the Cats with no imports or overagers.

Forwards -
I am not worried about that. I think we have a good group of experienced and up and comers that stepped up nicely last season. The young guys were lucky and got to get plenty of ice time and boosted their experience level. I'd like to see Hunt step it up next season. He was on fire at the beginning and then missed a lot of games with an injury and he looked like he had troubles after that. He just didn't seem like himself. If he played the way he play in 06-07 then I will be happy.

Defense -
If Magnussen is out then that leaves Thiessen as the most experienced d-man. That isn't a bad thing as his play is solid and work ethic is 2nd to none on the team. Thiessen hasn't had the opportunity as the #1 d-man and has always been one of our tough guys. Now that he is the #1 guy he won't be able to do as much of the rough stuff that he does so well. If he fights and is in the box then we really don't have anyone to rely on. I'd like to see them get a good 18yr old d-man who can play the role Thiessen has played the last few seasons. The younger guys are doing ok and are making mistakes but thats expected and with more experience most of them will be solid. I liked Hobbs this year and I liked Bidlevski but he was injured for a fair bit and didn't play as aggressive as he did before he got hurt.

Goal -
This is what worries me. Wright and Danyluk are unproven as to what they can do at this level. I have never really liked Curtis and was never impressed with his play. Plus he had injuries at the end of the season that kept him out for the last month or so. With a starting goalie with potential injury problems and two unproven back-ups we have an issue. If Curtis gets hurt again we are left starting a goalie with little or no WHL playing experience. I'd like to see them bring in a 19yr old goalie as a starter and have Curtis as a backup. I just don't think Curtis has what it takes to start (yet). This would give the team another year to groom a backup and maybe next season give Curtis the start. Or if we get really lucky with a goalie we keep him as an overager for the season after. I think this is the position they have to worry about dealing with first.

By no means am I a hockey "expert" nor do I claim to be and all this is just my opinion and should not be taken any other way.

I'm no expert either but that doesn't mean we still can't have an opinion. :D

I don't think anybody on the team were really "themselves" once the season wore on. It's pretty hard to lose that much and not have it takes it's toll mentally. Maybe a fresh start next season will be all some of the returning players need.

According to the past rumblings throughout the forum, a good 18/19 year old defenseman is going to be hard to come by, those that have them are hanging on to them.

As for the goalie situation. Curtis went to PG to get more ice time. I'm not sure what he'd think of being demoted to back-up. I've never seen him play but from what I have heard and read, I like his attitude and approach to the game. Maybe he knows himself tht he's not quite ready and wouldn't mind sharing the position with an older player. PG is famous for not having a clear-cut starter aren't they? I don't think Danyluk got a fair opportunity. What did he play, one game last season? I think the original plan was to have Cyr play most of the games so they sent Danyluk back down where he would continue to play and develop. Hind sight being 20/20 he would have had more starts with PG then they had originally forecasted.

In the long run, it's all really a crap shoot isn't it? You can have the most talented players but there are always the unknown factors like injuries that you can't predict.

old_time_hockey
05-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, if Magnussen chooses not to return, PG will have no 20 year olds and room for another European player. Maybe they can snag a 20 year old defenseman that loses the numbers game.

I haven't really been paying attention to the speculations of the other teams' fans to see who might be up for grabs.

I don't think it should be a matter of if Magnussen wants to come back. That kid is as useless as tits on a bull. Especially if he is taking up an OA AND Euro spot.

TwoBits
05-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually, I do think it is going to be his choice. He may have not shown the growth that the team and he personally wanted to see this past year. I think the responsibility lies 50/50 with him and the coaching staff. Personally I don't think he came all the way to Canada to slack off.

SectionNDeserter
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
As a fan of the Rebels, I have watched a lot of inexperienced/average/inadequate defensemen in the last few seasons, and I even thought he stood out as being slow and untalented. Definitely not the sort of player I would want occupying both an overage spot and an import slot on my team.

Teacher
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Would the Cougs lean on Thiessen and Hobbs as 19 yr olds,
then let Bidlevski and Cummings as 17yr olds, along with McDonald as a 16 yr old grow into thier roles?
then get lucky in the import draft and pick up a couple of 18yr old defenseman?

I have read blogs that say that the 19/20yr old free agent defenseman that can play is pretty rare and all the other Dub teams are keeping them. Is it better to go young and overseas and develop that way?