PDA

View Full Version : GM Parker addresses health issue

nivek_wahs
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
http://reginapats.com/News/314/

General Manager Addresses Health Issue

Regina, SK – Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker has issued the following statement in response to the numerous rumors and questions that have been circulating regarding his health;

“Over the past couple of weeks there have been numerous inquiries pertaining to the state of my health. My family and I had hoped to keep this matter private but understand that the nature of my business does not always allow for that to happen. I have recently been diagnosed with a form of soft tissue cancer that was located in my upper back and shoulder. To this point I have undergone one procedure and will undergo further tests and procedures in the coming days and weeks that will determine the full extent of what lies ahead. I have received tremendous care and encouragement from the doctors here in Regina as well as those at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and I am confident that while I do have some challenges ahead my condition is treatable.

I appreciate the concern that has been shown regarding my health, and I’m sure you can all understand what my family and I are going through has been tough on us all. On this note I would appreciate you respecting our family’s privacy as we deal with this matter.”

Brent and the rest of the Parker family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Scout
05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
At a time like this we should set all differances aside and become one big hockey family whether you like the guy or hate him. Best of luck Brent. It must be tough on not only you but your family. I will be thinking of you. Thoughts and prayers are sent to you.

Scout

captain blog
05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Brent and his family are in my prayers. May God bless Brent and bring healing to him. Get well soon.

nivek_wahs
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=68948766-da79-483b-9bc6-d9ec0446eca1

Parker's perspective positively inspiring
Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, May 13, 2008

On many an occasion, this space has been devoured by quotes from Brent Parker.

As recently as 12 days ago, the topic du jour was whether Parker would return for a 14th WHL season as the Regina Pats' general manager. Parker was non-committal, but he still provided enough ammunition for 18 columns, along with some laughter.

That's Brent Parker. Even on the worst days his hockey team may encounter, Parker is typically in fine form. Opinions are thrown around like confetti. The one-liners are priceless.

On May 1, for example, Parker referenced the aftermath of the Pats' season-ending game against the host Swift Current Broncos.

"Driving back from Swift Current, it was like, 'I'm going to have to find a semi to drive in front of,' '' he said. "That's the emotion of it.''

To which I responded: "Did the semi look tempting?''

"Not entirely,'' Parker replied. "The way things were going, I probably would have bounced off the outside of the post, anyway.''

On Monday, we were reminded that the Pats' first-round playoff ouster, while a disappointment to the team and its followers, hardly rates when the larger picture is examined.

The reminder came in the form of an e-mail distributed from the Pats' office. The media release arrived at 2:52 p.m.

"I have recently been diagnosed with a form of soft-tissue cancer that was located in my upper back and shoulder,'' Parker said in a prepared statement. "To this point I have undergone one procedure and will undergo further tests and procedures in the coming days and weeks that will determine the full extent of what lies ahead.

"I have received tremendous care and encouragement from the doctors here in Regina as well as those at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and I am confident that while I do have some challenges ahead my condition is treatable.''

Parker faced this challenge while immersing himself in preparations for the WHL's bantam draft, visiting the team's selections, addressing incessant inquiries about a rumoured sale of the team, fielding questions about his own future as general manager, etc.

While all these supposedly major issues were being debated, Parker was digesting news that must have hit him like the aforementioned semi. He did not carry himself like a man who is facing adversity.

Parker's strength and demeanour will serve him well as he confronts cancer.

His hockey-related dealings offer an indication of how he will handle this battle. He has never been one for half-measures. If he tackles something, he will not stop short of immersion in the project.

That is a reason why Parker has pondered whether to remain as the general manager. If he cannot go full-blast, he would rather hand the reins to someone else.

The challenge has involved balancing the GM's duties and his responsibilities as a husband (to Karen) and father (to Carlie and Casey). The demands and pressures of an engrossing job have made it increasingly difficult for Parker to dedicate time to his family.

A reminder about where priorities should lie arrived Monday at 2:52 p.m.

nivek_wahs
05-13-2008, 06:56 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ced91608-edff-4c5b-a969-17856880abea

Parker faces biggest battle of his life
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Brent Parker's future as the general manager of the Regina Pats has taken a back seat to a more pressing issue -- his health.

Parker released a statement on Monday confirming that he has been diagnosed with a soft tissue cancer in his upper back and shoulder. The 42-year-old has already started treatments at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and told the Leader-Post he's optimistic about the prognosis.

"From my end, I'm certainly not approaching it as 'Why me?' or anything like that," he said. "My doctor told me it wasn't a lifestyle choice or anything else that caused it. It was something I was going to get, that's just the way it is. You know what? You play with the hand you're dealt. By all accounts everything is treatable and I've been really encouraged by my conversations with the doctors. I'm very positive about everything."

That includes his plans for the summer.

"I told my own kids that our life isn't changing," continued the father of two. "We're full-steam ahead with Little League and lacrosse and volleyball and everything else. Nothing is going to change from our end. It's just a matter of me having to go get some treatments and get some things cleaned up, but I don't foresee it slowing me down one bit."

Parker initially became concerned with a growth on his shoulder prior to the start of the WHL playoffs. His fears were confirmed when he received the official diagnosis just three days before the May 1 WHL bantam draft.

The news has played a role in Parker's reluctance to declare his plans for the future. He stated at the end of the season that he needed some time to decide if he would return for his 14th campaign with the Pats.

Although Parker was expected to retain the GM's post, a formal announcement has now been postponed until his health issues are resolved.

"I'm not even thinking about that aspect of things," he said Monday, noting that his condition "puts a lot of things in perspective" with respect to life and hockey. "My health is more important."

Parker will continue performing his usual duties, although he may be forced to step away on occasion while undergoing further treatment, tests, etc. Other than that, he has told his staff it's business as usual.

"I'm not going to sit around moping," he said with a chuckle. "Life is full-speed ahead. I'm not good at sitting around. I never have been and I don't imagine I ever will be. I'll take days (off) if I need to take days ... but I don't plan on taking a set period of time right now.

"I'm coaching a Little League team and I fully intend on continuing to coach it," he added. "Barring unforeseen circumstances I plan on being at league meetings and being at the NHL draft and all the things I was going to do. Now, some of the treatments may preclude that. If they do, they do."

Parker initially kept the news quiet, but elected to release a statement Monday after he was contacted by the Leader-Post seeking comment. Over the past several days, he has informed family members and other people close to him, including Pats head coach Curtis Hunt.

"Never mind the fact that I work for Brent, we've been able to foster a very good friendship," said Hunt, who joined the team in 2004. "Whenever your friends are going through some adversity, you try to offer some comfort and support in any way you can. What I know about him in the seven years I've known him -- probably more intimately in the last four -- is that he's a fighter. He seems to attack everything head-on and I would expect nothing but the same in terms of how he'll move forward with this. It's funny, even as he shared it with me, he just kind of shrugged it off as, 'I guess we'll go and see what happens.' You have to admire that quality."

Asked for his initial reaction to the news, Hunt recalled a sense of disbelief.

"It just tells you how little control you really have," he noted. "We're relatively the same age. He's a young man with a young family. But from everything he shared with us in terms of severity, it's a very, very positive outlook. Knowing the type of character he has, he'll just mow right through it."

Parker, whose father Russ owns the Pats, has taken a year-to-year approach for the past three seasons with respect to his position with the team, expressing a desire to spend more time with family and pursue other business interests.

It's generally assumed that when Parker decides to move on, the team will be sold. The leading contenders are a group that includes ex-Pats stars Mike Sillinger and Jamie Heward.

When confirming last summer that he would return in 2007-08, Parker hinted that it wasn't a long-term commitment.

"You have to weigh things," he said. "In the not-too-distant future, it will be time."

Parker has repeatedly stated that he still enjoys working with the Pats' staff and players, but he has also cited other areas of concern. One of them is a desire to improve the working relationship with IPSCO Place, which runs the Brandt Centre.

The sides are currently in negotiations to renew a lease agreement, which is set to expire at the end of this month. Parker's future as GM -- plus the team's ownership status -- could be tied to the lease talks.

Now, Parker's health concerns have added to the equation. If he is forced to step away for an extended period, it would place more responsibility in the hands of people like Hunt and director of scouting Todd Ripplinger.

"I'm prepared for anything and everything," said Hunt. "I think that's the way it should be, whether or not it was from this or if it was a personal decision. We're certainly aware that he has some different options. My attitude is, whatever is around the corner, we'll deal with it when it happens. But it isn't even a topic that has been discussed."

- - -

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker released the following statement regarding his health situation on Monday afternoon:

"Over the past couple of weeks there have been numerous inquiries pertaining to the state of my health. My family and I had hoped to keep this matter private, but understand that the nature of my business does not always allow for that to happen.

I have recently been diagnosed with a form of soft tissue cancer that was located in my upper back and shoulder.

"To this point I have undergone one procedure and will undergo further tests and procedures in the coming days and weeks that will determine the full extent of what lies ahead. I have received tremendous care and encouragement from the doctors here in Regina, as well as those at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary and I am confident that while I do have some challenges ahead my condition is treatable.

"I appreciate the concern that has been shown regarding my health, and I'm sure you can all understand what my family and I are going through has been tough on us all. On this note I would appreciate you respecting our family's privacy as we deal with this matter."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

scoreboard
05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOU BRENT AND YOUR FAMILY. WE AND THE ENTIRE REGINA PATS NEED YOU. STICK IN THEIR BRENT AND GET WELL SOON. clrkth

patsdude114
05-16-2008, 10:42 PM
get well soon Brent and come back better then ever and lead us to the promise land.....