PDA

View Full Version : Harty will NOT be back

Tipped Off
05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
From teh Everett Herald...

Silvertips: Harty won't be back

Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

Defenseman Jonathan Harty will not be returning to the Everett Silvertips for the 2008-09 Western Hockey League season.

Everett's captain and defensive stalwart has made a verbal commitment to play for the University of New Brunswick next season. The Tips tried to convince Harty to return, but to no avail.

Harty has accrued four years worth of schooling under the WHL's education program and with limited pro prospects, he decided to pursue his degree. His brothers both attend UNB and the decision moves him closer to his home in Oromocto, New Brunswick.

Since it's a verbal commitment, Harty could change his mind, but that does not appear likely

Tipped Off
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
(From Nick Patterson's blog, this morning)

Harty's gone

Posted at 9:09 am by Nick Patterson

Well, it's official. Jonathan Harty will not be returning to the Silvertips next season as an overager.

Everett's captain and defensive stalwart has made a verbal commitment to play for the University of New Brunswick next season. The Tips tried to convince Harty to return, but to no avail.

The gist of Harty's decision is that even if he were to attract the attention of a professional team next season, the best he could hope for is a modest contract of around $30,000. Since he's already accrued four years worth of schooling under the WHL's education program, he figured he might as well get his degree as quickly as possible. Therefore, he'd have something to fall back on if his post-collegiate pro possibilities don't pan out. And apparently UNB has had players sign with NHL teams in recent years, so he sees hope in that regard. Plus, his brothers both attend UNB and he's a lot closer to his home in Oromocto, New Brunswick.

Since it was only a verbal commitment, I suppose it's still possible he could change his mind later during the offseason. But knowing Jonathan Harty, that isn't going to happen.

This is a tremendous blow to the Tips. Everett's already facing the prospect of losing most of the core from a team that finished fourth in the U.S. Division. With Harty also now gone, the prospects of the Tips moving up in the division become that much more bleak, and you can bet the Tips are praying the Vancouver Canucks decide Taylor Ellington needs another year of seasoning in the WHL. ... [Read More]

Tipped Off
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Silvertips captain leaving team to play college hockey

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT -- The Everett Silvertips have lost their captain.

Jonathan Harty, who served as Everett's captain during the 2007-08 season and was a stalwart for the Tips defense the past four years, has committed to play collegiately at the University of New Brunswick next season.

Harty had been weighing his options since Everett was eliminated from the playoffs in late March. But his commitment to the University of New Brunswick means Harty will not be back in Everett for his overage season.

"I'm all about moving forward," Harty said from his home in Oromocto, New Brunswick. "Where I'm at now, if I came back to the WHL I'd be in the exact same place as I was before, looking for a pro contract."

And Harty's loss is a stinging one for the Tips.

"He was one of our top players in so many areas," Everett coach John Becanic said. "He was our captain, he was our leader physically, he was our leader in passion, he was our only defenseman on our No. 1 power play, so we've got a lot of areas to fill."

Harty's decision ultimately came down to taking advantage of an opportunity. Harty still has a desire to play hockey professionally, but he hasn't garnered much interest from NHL teams, having never received an NHL tryout. In using his WHL scholarship -- one year of college paid for each year played in the WHL -- he plans on earning a business degree as an insurance policy.

Meanwhile, Harty will play for a strong University of New Brunswick program that was the Canadian collegiate champion in 2007 and runner-up this year. Star forward Rob Hennigar recently signed a contract with the New York Islanders, and Harty is hoping playing for the Varsity Reds will help with his pro aspirations.

"I think those first low-level pro contracts start out at about $30,000, and I'm not ready to give up my schooling for that, especially when I'm not sure I'll stick in the AHL," Harty explained. "So I'm going to get my degree first before trying to make a run at playing pro."

The University of New Brunswick is also closer to his home -- he's the rare east coaster in the WHL as his family moved after he was taken in the bantam draft -- and both of his brothers attend the school.

Harty's season as captain was a tumultuous one. The Tips, expected to be one of the top teams in the league, were up and down like a roller coaster before being swept by eventual league champion Spokane in the first round of the playoffs. However, Harty said Everett's inconsistent season did not factor in his decision.

"I had a great time this season," Harty said. "We had a great bunch of guys and you can't ask for more than that. I wouldn't have asked for a trade. I just felt I got all the exposure I was going to get in this league.

"But I thought it was a great WHL career," Harty added. "There will be a lot of memories. And I want to thank all the fans and the city for all the support. It was the best time of my life and if I could I'd do it again."

Harty only gave a verbal commitment to the University of New Brunswick and has yet to sign any paperwork, so there's still the possibility he could change his mind later in the offseason. The Tips would love to have Harty back and made overtures designed to woo him back into the fold, but they aren't expecting a change of heart.

"We've left the door open for him, and sometimes things change," Becanic said. "But Jonathan's a very headstrong person and when he says he's going to do something he usually does it. The good thing is we have all summer to prepare for it. We're thankful he was honest and up front because if he hadn't told us anything until August or September we really would have been scrambling."

Harty has been a central figure for the Tips since arriving in 2004. Known for a heart and work ethic that made up for his modest skills, he holds the Everett franchise record for career games played with 246. During that time he accumulated 21 goals, 69 assists and 411 penalty minutes.

Last season was Harty's finest statistically as he had 11 goals and 34 assists in 65 games, tying for 10th in the league in scoring among defensemen. He also led the Tips in scoring during the playoffs with two goals and three assists in four games.

Harty was also Everett's most visible player in the community, twice being named the team's community relations player of the year.

"For me personally, I think he's the all-time Silvertip," Becanic said. "I don't know what more a young man could have done for the organization and the community. He never passed up an opportunity to speak at a school or go to the hospital or talk to the booster club. And as a player he fought all the battles that needed to be fought."

The loss of Harty serves as another blow to Everett heading into the 2008-09 season, particularly on the blue line. The Tips lost top-pairing defenseman Dane Crowley to graduation, and his defensive partner Taylor Ellington is also a candidate to play pro. With Harty now gone Everett is looking at a severely depleted defense.

With leading scorer Dan Gendur also graduated, and with No. 1 center Zach Hamill and starting goaltender Leland Irving expected to play pro, it's looking more and more like a rebuilding season ahead for the Tips.

Gomez
05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
What is in the pipeline for prospects?

Tipped Off
06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
This is from Nick Patterson's Blog (www.herladnet.com)...in regards to 2008-2009 rookies...

Each year Canada hosts the U-17 World Hockey Challenge, the international showcase event for 16-year-old hockey players. Canada fields five teams in the event, with players from the WHL's drawing region populating two of those teams: Team Pacific (B.C., Alberta) and Team West (Saskatchewan, Manitoba). As a result, the rosters from Team Pacific and Team West are typically dominated by WHL rookies. This year, of the 44 players on those two teams, 29 came from the WHL.

Of the 15 remaining players, three were Everett prospects.

So even though the Tips may not have what I consider to be sure-fire future-star prospects in the system (drafting late every year has a way of doing that), the fact that three Hockey Challenge players were unable to make the roster this season indicates that Everett may have a future after all. Anyway, here's a rundown of Everett's potential rookies, along with their WHL age for next season:

- Kellan Tochkin (17) - A member of Team Pacific, Tochkin was one of the few first-round picks from the 2006 bantam draft who didn't play in the league this season. The right wing had a fantastic season playing junior B for the Ridge Meadow Flames of the PIJHL, racking up 24 goals and 35 assists in 32 games during the regular season, then adding three goals and eight assists in 10 playoff games. His size and skating ability have always been a question, but his skills aren't. With a year of playing against older players under his belt, he should be ready to step into Everett's lineup and help replace some of the departed skill.

- Paul Sohor (17) - A member of Team West, Sohor had a cup of coffee with the Tips this season when they were going through all their injuries on defense in February, and he looked like he could have played for Everett this season. In fact, I bet he would have made the team if he wasn't a 16-year-old who would have been required to appear in 40 games. One of just two 16-year-olds playing for the Selkirk Steelers of the junior A MJHL, he was ever present, appearing in 54 games with one goal and eight assists. He's not a big offensive threat from the blue line, but he can skate and he's solid defensively.

- Brett Chartier (17) - A member of Team West, Chartier has been a nice undrafted find by the Tips. The only 16-year-old playing for the Winnipeg Saints of the junior A MJHL, the winger notched 20 goals and 24 assists in 56 games, and during the playoffs he was essentially a point-a-game performer. He's a smaller player, but he brings a good all-around package to the table.

- Cameron Abney (17) - Abney got into a handful of games with the Tips this season, but didn't get much of a chance to show what he can do. Another undrafted player, the winger had 12 goals, 14 assists and 110 penalty minutes in 42 games for the junior B North Delta Devils of the PIJHL. He's big and tough, and he has some offensive potential, too.

- Brenden Stephen (18) - Speaking of big, the 6-foot-7 Stephen has a long reach on defense, as he showed during his seven games with the Tips. Playing for the Princeton Posse of the junior B KIJHL, he had four goals and seven assists in 49 games. He's a project, but with an upside.

- Kent Simpson (16) - Everett's first-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft, Simpson is a candidate to take over the backup goaltending job. Not sure if he's ready yet as he played this season in a 15-year-old midget league, but he held up well in his one appearance for the Tips.

- Markus McCrea (16), Tyler Parker (16) - A pair of left-shooting power forwards from California. Both have already signed their education contracts, giving them the inside track to make the team next season.

- Byron Froese (17) - Was still playing midget as a 16-year-old, but put up strong numbers. He has the advantage of being a true center rather than a winger.

- Ryan White (17) - The Tips still have hopes of landing the playmaker from Colorado, who was solid but unspectacular playing U.S. midget.

Tipped Off
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
From this year's Bantam draft (again from nick patterson's blog)

2st round bantam pick.....Ryan Murray, a defenseman from White City, Saskatchewan.

This pick is no surprise. From what I've heard, Murray is exactly what's missing in Everett's system, an offensive-minded defenseman. I've seen him listed at 5-foot-9, so he's not the biggest d-man in the world, but he is supposed to be a good point man on the power play.

The Tips took Murray about where he was projected, maybe a couple picks earlier, but obviously Everett was set on getting a d-man in the first round. I'd be curious to know, however, how the Tips brass felt when Mitch Topping was taken one pick earlier by Chilliwack. If Topping, listed by many as the top d-man in the draft, had fallen to Everett, I suspect the Tips would have been very happy.

In the second round, Everett traded up to select Murray's teammate, center Tyler Giebel, 27th overall.

"That's real good," Murray said about having his teammate also drafted by Everett. "It's good to have a friend along with you."

The Tips forked over a third-round pick in the 2009 draft in order to swap positions with Prince Albert -- a high price to jump up just four spots -- and land Giebel, a skilled two-way forward from Balgonie, Saskatchewan.

"We felt he was the last player available to fill that role (the offensive center the Tips weren't able to get in the first round), so we didn't want to lose him," explained Soetaert, noting that the Tips had a spare third-round pick in next year's draft thanks to the Ondrej Fiala trade.

"When you want something, you go after it."

The 5-foot-10, 155-pound Giebel tallied 29 goals and 27 assists in 25 games for the Storm, finishing tied for fourth in the league in scoring with 56 points.

It was the second time in three years the Tips took bantam teammates with their first two picks. In 2006, Everett selected right wing Kellan Tochkin and defenseman Jeff Regier, teammates for the Abbotsford Hawks, in the first and second rounds, respectively.

The Tips are also hoping for big things out of their third- and fourth-round picks.

In the third round, Everett selected left wing Joshua Winquist. Similar to Giebel in size (5-foot-10, 150 pounds) and style (a solid two-way player), the native of St. Albert, Alberta also possesses a good shot. He had 39 goals and 26 assists in 32 games for the St. Albert Sabres this season.

In the fourth, round the Tips took defenseman Michael Berry. A player Scoville raved about, the 6-foot, 180-pounder out of Edmonton, Alberta, is a hard-nosed defenseman who also has a cannon for a shot. He had 18 goals and 23 assists in 33 games for Edmonton CAC.