PDA

View Full Version : Pyett to sign with Wings

nivek_wahs
05-15-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=e9d6fa8b-337c-4b1f-b33c-3968a733f65b

Pyett to sign with Wings

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, May 15, 2008

Logan Pyett may soon be a former captain of the WHL's Regina Pats.

The Leader-Post has learned that the 19-year-old defenceman is close to signing a three-year entry-level contract with the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.

According to a source familiar with the situation, the deal could be finalized as early as this week. Detroit needs to sign Pyett by June 1 or he'll be eligible to re-enter the NHL draft (June 20-21 in Ottawa).

That's not expected to happen.

Wings general manager Ken Holland has already gone on the record saying that Pyett is one of the prospects he plans to retain.

Detroit selected the Balgonie product with the second-last pick in the 2006 NHL entry draft (seventh round, 212th overall). The 5-foot-11, 198-pound defenceman has proven to be quite a steal, establishing himself as one of the WHL's elite blueliners.

Pyett was named Regina's player-of-the-year this season in addition to claiming first team all-star honours in the Eastern Conference. He was ranked second among WHL defencemen in goals (20) and fourth in points (54).

Pyett amassed those totals despite missing 10 games over the holiday season while helping Canada win a gold medal at the 2008 world junior championship. Four months earlier, he was a member of the Canadian team that won seven of eight meetings with Russia in the Super Series. His resume also includes gold medals at the world under-17 and under-18 championships.

Pyett's latest experience with the national program came last month when he was one of three NHL prospects invited to practise with Team Canada in preparation for the world championship in Halifax and Quebec City.

As for next season, Pyett is one of seven 20-year-old players eligible for three spots on the Pats' roster. The others are defenceman Victor Bartley, right-winger Ryan DePape, centre Scott Doucet, left-winger Josh Elder, centre Kirt Hill and left-winger Michael MacAngus.

Pyett would be a lock for one of Regina's overage spots if he remained without a contract. However, when he signs with Detroit, he'll have an opportunity to begin his pro career next season with the Red Wings' AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins.

The top candidate to replace Pyett as captain is veteran right-winger Brett Leffler. Leading scorer Jordan Eberle and defenceman Colten Teubert are also expected to take on leadership roles next season.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
from Roddy's blog... http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008/05/pyett-confirms-contract-talks.html

Thursday, May 15, 2008
Pyett Confirms Contract Talks

Regina Pats' captain Logan Pyett has confirmed today's Leader Post story that he's close to signing an NHL contract with the Detroit Red Wings. Pyett spoke to CKRM Radio about the talks today...

PYETT: It's kind of surreal, really. It's getting your foot in the door with the team and it's very exciting for me. Hopefully it does go through here and I get a contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

CKRM: Is it exciting watching them on this Stanley Cup run?

PYETT: Absolutely. It's just another great thing about that organization. They seem to be in the Cup hunt every year and hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to that.

CKRM: Is there a better group of defenceman to learn from?

PYETT: Probably not. Not unless you're on an allstar team. Nik Lidstrom has won 6 of the last 7 Norris trophies and of course Chelios. Rafalski's a guy that's my size and just a great player. It's just a pleasure to be around those guys and learn from them.

CKRM: How much does your agent keep you apprised of the discussions?

PYETT: We keep in touch pretty closely. If I hear anything, I let him know and vice versa. We've been in close contact.

nivek_wahs
05-17-2008, 07:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=35468d58-1bdb-41c5-abe0-1b2b37a9c1ab

Pyett inks deal

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Detroit Red Wings are in Logan Pyett's sights -- and the Regina Pats are in his rearview mirror.

Pyett agreed to terms Friday on a three-year entry-level contract with Detroit which, sources say, includes the maximum signing bonus allowed for a rookie under the Collective Bargaining Agreement ($85,000 per year, $255,000 total).

It was reported exclusively in Wednesday's Leader-Post that the sides were close to reaching a deal. After a couple more days of negotiating, the pact was finalized Friday afternoon, with a formal announcement expected in the coming days.

Pyett was selected by Detroit in the seventh round (212th overall) of the 2006 NHL entry draft. Now that he's under contract, the Pats' captain is not expected to use his final season of junior eligibility. Red Wings vice-president/assistant GM Jim Nill, who negotiated the contract, confirmed Friday that Pyett is highly unlikely to be back in Regina next season.

"He's ready," Nill told the Leader-Post from Detroit. "He has played at an elite level. When you start playing at the world juniors, representing your country, that shows you're a pretty elite player. He was one of the last players picked in the draft two years ago and I think he has exceeded everybody's expectations. He's one of the top defencemen in the Western Hockey League. I think he needs that next challenge. He's ready to make the step up to turning pro."

Nill compared Pyett to former Red Deer Rebels defenceman Derek Meech, another ex-world junior player who was drafted in the seventh round in 2002. Meech joined the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins at age 20, spending three years there before cracking Detroit's roster this season.

"That's what our expectations are for Logan," said Nill.

That's fine with Pyett, whose sole focus is on becoming a pro next season.

"I pretty much have to (take that approach)," said the 19-year-old defenceman. "I'm going to go in (to training camp) ready and with the mindset that I can do it, that I'm going to do it. As much as I enjoyed my time with the Pats, I hope not to be back."

Pyett expressed excitement about formalizing his relationship with Red Wings on Friday. He was also pleased that negotiations didn't go right down to the wire. Detroit had until June 1 to sign Pyett or he would have gone back into the draft this summer.

"I'm sure the deadline would have got a little more nerve-wracking but I've been pretty confident we would get something done," said Pyett, who is represented by Brad Devine of Thunder Creek Sports Management in Saskatoon. "I just let Brad do his thing, I had a lot of confidence in him. I really wanted to be signed by them and be in their organization. I'm a little relieved, I guess, but I'm more happy."

Pyett has been one of the Wings' biggest fans during their current playoff run. Detroit is just one victory away from a berth in the Stanley Cup final.

"I'm definitely pulling for them," he said. "It would be nice to see them win the Cup again. I obviously know some of the players. I know (rookie) Darren Helm (who was with the Medicine Hat Tigers last season). It's a great opportunity for him to get his name on a Cup early. I'm rooting for them."

In the meantime, Pyett knows his work has just begun.

"There's a long summer ahead, a lot of training days left to go," he noted. "I'm prepared to do that and give myself the best shot when camp comes to make the pros somewhere. Obviously the main goal is to crack the Red Wings, but I know that won't be easy. I'll just have to work hard."

Asked if he has any immediate plans for his signing bonus, Pyett said he'll be smart about it.

"Maybe I'll go car shopping with some friends or my dad, shop around, try and find a bargain," said the Balgonie product. "I'm not going to blow too much (cash) on something ridiculously fancy. I'll probably put (the rest) in my piggy bank and go from there."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

patsdude114
05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Congrats on Pyett's signing with the Red Wings, i didnt think it would take this long for the Wings to sign Pyett. Pyett is definately a steal as he was the 2nd last player selected. If he was to re-enter the draft (had he not been signed) he could of been a late 1st round pick or a early 2nd rounder forsure. He is 1 of the top junior defencemen in the CHL (being on team canada tells us that, and being 1 of 3 junior players invited to team canada world championship training camp) You'd be stupid not to take this guy had he re-entered the draft.

Well looks like the Pats will be handing the "C" to Leffler now. It was niec to watch Pyett grow as a player from the rough year when he was 16 to his final year as a 19 yr old being 1 of the top offensive point producers on the back end 2 years in a row. Congrats Pyett and best of luck with your pro career.