PDA

View Full Version : Spokane Prepares For Kitchner

Scout
05-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Spokane preparing for a hard game against Kitchener
By Josh Brown, Record Staff

KITCHENER — A few smiles. A little fanfare. And now it's back to business for the Spokane Chiefs.

The Western Hockey League champions will spend little time celebrating tonight's dramatic 5-4 overtime victory over the Belleville Bulls in their Memorial Cup opener at the Aud.

In less than 24 hours, the Chiefs take on the hometown Kitchener Rangers.

"We'll get some rest here tonight and recap this game with our staff and then move on to Kitchener," said Spokane head coach Bill Peters. "We can take control of things tomorrow with the result that we want."

The Chiefs are hoping to build off the momentum from this evening's comeback win. Spokane had a 3-0 lead but trailed by one late in the third period after relinquishing four unanswered goals to the Ontario Hockey League finalists.

Drayson Bowman's third of the match with about three minutes left in the game tied things up 4-4. Levko Koper played overtime hero and saved the Chiefs from embarrassment.

"It's definitely the biggest goal I've ever scored," Koper said. "We had a 3-0 lead and we had a lot of ups and downs so it's great just to get that win." Now the focus shifts to the Rangers and the battle of two undefeated clubs. The Blueshirts edged Gatineau 6-5 in extra time last night.

"I know if they beat this Belleville Bulls team they're very good," said Peters when assessing his next opponent. "They are very dangerous on the power play. I really liked the Azevedo line with Halischuk and Spaling. I thought they were dominant and generate a lot of consistent offence for Kitchener. We're going to have to find a way to control those guys somewhat." Kitchener likes to score and score often. Spokane prides itself on defence. So it should be a contest of contrasts at the Aud when the puck drops at 4:30 p.m. The Chiefs caught last night's game on television and are well versed on Kitchener's strengths.

"They're a great team obviously," said Bowman, who led the Chiefs in scoring this past season. "They have a lot of skilled guys. We're going to have to be out best." Kitchener veteran Yannick Weber practised with the club this morning and head coach Peter DeBoer said his Swiss defender, who has missed time with an ankle injury, is "probable" for tomorrow's game.

Despite the quick turnaround, Peters says his boys to be ready. He also expects a see of red, white and blue in the stands and knows it will be loud.

"They're right on top of you here at the Kitchener Auditorium and they're passionate hockey fans and they're loud," he said. "That game is going mach one."