PDA

View Full Version : Citizen artical...Brodsky talks to Chilliwack

Sput
04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
by JIM SWANSON
Citizen Sports Editor
The Western Hockey League's U.S. Division will remain intact - at least for the time being.
The league's board of governors voted down a proposed move for the Tri-City Americans franchise. Owners Darryl Porter, Brian Burke, Glen Sather and general manager Bob Tory had applied to move to Chilliwack, but a meeting held Thursday at the Airport Hilton in Calgary failed to produce the required 14 votes. Any franchise transfer requires two-thirds approval of the 20 teams.
"We're disappointed for the city of Chilliwack and fans in Chilliwack and our partners there," Burke, the former GM of the Vancouver Canucks, told the Vancouver Sun.
"We're not sure what happens next. We'll have to sit down and talk about our options."
Several sources reported that nine of the 20 teams voted against the move. Among those saying 'no' were the four U.S. teams, who had spoken openly about their objections in the days leading to the meeting. It is believed that both the Prince George Cougars, represented by GM Dallas Thompson, and the Saskatoon Blades voted against the transfer.
"If it was just another Canadian team moving to Chilliwack it probably wouldn't have been an issue," Vancouver Giants owner Ron Toigo, the former owner of the Americans, told the Sun. Toigo lost $3 million in nine years of ownership there.
"This was a vote to protect the structure of the U.S. Division, the U.S. teams certainly made their point on how important it was that (Tri-City) be part of that division. They felt that without them it started to break down the survivability of a number of other teams."
Other concerns with moving to Chilliwack, the home of the BCHL's Chiefs, included the lack of a daily newspaper, local television station, and corporate offices. Few companies house their head offices in Chilliwack, choosing instead to operate out of Vancouver.
Citing an unnamed WHL source, the Vancouver Province is reporting in today's edition that the Cougars approached the Chilliwack group about relocating there. Prince George owner Rick Brodsky said a conversation took place, but not with the goal of moving the Cougars to the Fraser Valley.
"We did have a discussion with them, but it was for ammunition in our negotiations," said Brodsky. The current Cougars lease at the Multiplex expires at the end of July.
The Americans moved to Kennewick, Wash., for the 1988-89 season. There have been many unsuccessful owners over those 17 seasons, including Toigo, who is now reaping the benefits of the NHL lockout in the Vancouver market. There was a sentiment at Thursday's meeting that not enough had been done to make the market a success.
The last WHL teams to relocate were the Kootenay Ice (from Edmonton, 1998), the Kelowna Rockets (from Tacoma, 1995), and the Cougars (from Victoria, 1994).
Porter, Burke and Sather, who purchased the franchise from Mark Wagstaff for $2.2 million US three years ago, have the option of working out a new lease at the Tri-City Coliseum or selling to a local group that is believed to be interested. Burke has stated that he does not want out of the business.
The Americans, down three games to none in the best-of-seven series, host the Seattle Thunderbirds tonight.

Jovorock
04-01-2005, 01:29 PM
"Prince George owner Rick Brodsky said a conversation took place, but not with the goal of moving the Cougars to the Fraser Valley.
"We did have a discussion with them, but it was for ammunition in our negotiations," said Brodsky. The current Cougars lease at the Multiplex expires at the end of July"

That's a scary discussion, I don't know if I would trust Brodsky at his word?

Cougar Guy
04-01-2005, 07:02 PM
That's a scary discussion, I don't know if I would trust Brodsky at his word?

You got that right Jovorock! I don't trust him one bit. What kind of owner casually calls up a City that is obviously looking to attract a WHL franchise and discusses details (obviously he must of if he wanted "ammunition") regarding relocation only as a means to assist in securing a better lease agreement in his current market?

Forgive me Mr. Brodsky, but I think you are full of it. This development, combined with the fact that the PG Citizen had earlier reported that they had received info suggesting that Brodsky was looking to move from 4 different credible sources, leads me to beleive that he is indeed looking very seriously. I'd even go so far as to suggest that he is probably happy that attendance has dropped as it gives him an excuse to move and take his circus to some other City.

If and when the time comes, I really hope that the league has the guts to tell him "no we are not supporting this appliaction to move . . . either make a go of it in PG or sell to a local group". The current situation in PG is eerily similar to what happened in Victoria when he bought the team. Surely they wouldn't think that Chilliwack (or wherever) would be any different a number of years down the road, given his history. Is that good for the overall health of the league?

The league governors must realize that PG would support a WHL franchise in a similar fashion to Kamloops, Red Deer, Kelowna, etc., if it were operated in a proper manner.

It will be a VERY interesting offseason up here.

Jovorock
04-02-2005, 06:25 PM
WElcome aboard Cougar Guy, hope you enjoy it here!

I think Prince George is like Tri Cities, league Govenors know how valuable these two cities are to the league. If Bodsky tried to move out of town he would be turned down flat in a New York minute. Sure the travel is brutal for the other teams, but no where as bad a travel that the Cougars have to go through!

Sput
04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I agree with you Jovo. The market is here, if the product were here. I'm not so sure that the league would turn down the move, due only to the fact that it appears no one likes coming here, and only because of the drive and not the hockey.Its the same thing we have been putting up with since forever up here. Its 500 miles for us to go south (or east) but its 50000 miles for them to come here.

Jovorock
04-03-2005, 06:32 PM
League Govenors still remember the hugh mistake that they made letting the Ice out of Edmonton. Letting a team move from a good market is dumb and they wouldn't make the same mistake in PG.

Cougar Guy
04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
WElcome aboard Cougar Guy, hope you enjoy it here!

Thanks Jovorock! Very good looking forum!! I've been reading for a while and just got off my butt and finally registered . . . LOL :)

Sput
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Glad to have you aboard Cougar Guy!