PDA

View Full Version : Long shares his hockey success with best pal

Malc
05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

Hockey is never too far from Colin Long’s thoughts these days.

Neither is Dave Pittaway, the Kelowna Rockets centre’s best friend and personal trainer who is currently in war-torn Iraq working as a field medic for the U.S. Marine Corps.

Pittaway is due back in California late next month on a two-week leave to visit with his closest buddy, and his girlfriend—Colin’s sister—Jaquelyn Long.

But the reunion will be short-lived as Pittaway will be recalled for his second tour of military duty this summer.

It’s a harsh reality that helps put life and hockey into perspective for Long.

“It really hits you a lot harder when you know someone who is involved in the war, someone that is so close to me and my family,” Long, 18, said from his home in Santa Ana, Calif., this week.

“It’s really been an eye-opener for what’s really important. If something happened to Dave it would be devastating—especially because (the war) is not for any good cause,” Long continued. “That’s what makes it so much harder and so frustrating.

“I have my opinions and I don’t agree with what we’re doing over there.”

Long credits Pittaway, in large part, with pushing the skilled forward firmly into the consciousness of National Hockey League scouts.

After a disappointing 2006-07 season and subsequently being passed over in last summer’s Entry Draft, Long dedicated himself to a strict off-ice summer training regime.

Under Pittaway’s guidance, the 5-foot-11 speedster came to Rockets camp in the best shape of his life and went on to finish second in Western Hockey League scoring with an even 100 points.

After failing to appear at all in the midseason rankings, the latest Central Scouting report now has Long rated 62nd among North American skaters.

“Not getting drafted last year was disappointing and I really used that as fuel over the off-season to come back as a better player,” he said. “I knew I was good enough skill-wise as a lot of the kids who did get drafted, I just needed to really get myself focused off the ice. Dave was a big part of it and was the one who showed me I needed to get bigger and stronger and how to do that.”

And NHL teams have clearly taken notice. No fewer than eight big-league clubs have contacted Long since the end of the WHL regular season to express their interest.

Later this month in Toronto, Long will join three other Kelowna Rockets—Luke Schenn, Tyler Myers and Brandon McMillan—at Central Scouting’s Draft Combine.

More than 100 of the top draft-eligible players will have one last chance to display their talents at the annual camp before the NHL draft June 20 in Ottawa.

And regardless of where and when Long is chosen, it will be an achievement he’ll gladly share with Dave Pittaway, whether he’s at home or half a world away.

“I talk to Dave every other day on the Internet and on the phone once in a while and it’s pretty nice to be able to stay in touch with him from such a distance,” added Long.

“It’ll be nice to see him again.

“He’s been an important part of the success I’ve had over the last year.”