PDA

View Full Version : Tips Radio 24/7

Tipped Off
04-01-2005, 01:29 PM
For those of you who don;t frequently read the Silvertips thread, this is a good one...a must read: http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=1715

Rooselk
04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
...but I wish there was some truth to it. As it stands now, KRKO 1380 is little more than a KJR Light with a weaker signal. While I don't think it would be appropriate to carry the Tips 24/7, they certainly could do a better job promoting the Tips and hockey. The standard I use is MOJO 730 in Vancouver, which carries the Giants broadcasts. I listen to Bob Marjonovich on MOJO 730 on the drive home from Seattle to Mount Vernon every day and I can tell you that they have excellent coverage of the Giants and the WHL. When the Ams owners were denied their bid to relocate the team a few days ago, MOJO 730 treated it as a major story and spent considerable time discussing the issue with callers.

KRKO would do well to follow the MOJO 730 model. I know they need to cover other sports, but being in the market they are there needs to be a greater spotlight on the local teams. As a start, on game days the pre-game programming should start much earlier and the post game call-in show should be at least an hour or more in length. Moreover, the weekly Monday night Tips show should be held every weeknight during the season. This would be more on the model of what some of the Canadian teams do, which creates more excitement for the team.

As a Tips fan, it shouldn't be necessary for me to tune in a Vancouver station to get my hockey fix when we have a local station capable of doing the job.