PDA

View Full Version : Season To Remember

Scout
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
It was a season of hockey to remember for Brayden Schenn.

The 16-year-old Saskatoon, SK, native played his first season in the Western Hockey League with the Brandon Wheat Kings, and established himself as one of top stars for his team and one of the top young talents in the entire WHL.

Not only did Schenn’s 28 goals and 71 points lead the Wheat Kings in scoring, but led all WHL rookies in scoring including several older and more highly-touted first-year players. His first-year performance helped lead the Wheaties to a solid 42-24-3-3 record and a playoff berth in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the team.

After his Wheaties were eliminated from the WHL post-season, Schenn took his game to the international stage.

Having already helped Team West capture a Bronze medal at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge in December and January – he led the tournament in scoring as well – Schenn was the youngest player to earn a spot on Canada’s Under-18 team at the 2008 World U-18 Championship in Kazan, Russia, in April.

The 6’0”, 196-lb forward, whose older brother Luke is a defenseman for Kelowna, notched a goal and three points as Canada captured the Gold medal.

To cap off his stellar season, Schenn returned from his Team Canada experience in time to receive the 2008 WHL Rookie of the Year Award at the WHL’s annual awards luncheon, becoming the second Wheat King in four years to win the award.

Brayden Schenn’s Perspective

On earning the Rookie of the Year award…
“I wasn’t at all expecting it at the start. At the start of the year, I came in as a rookie just trying to get some ice time and get in the game. I started making an impact on the ice and my confidence started to grow. I was lucky to get to play with two great players, Matt Calvert and Scott Glennie, who deserve a lot of credit for the success I have had. I couldn’t have got this award without them, for sure.”

On his rookie line…
“It started with training camp where we played together and got a bit of chemistry, and we just built on it from there. Glennie and Calvert both have great speed and they work hard. We all know that each of us can put the puck in the net, so when teams can’t focus on just one of us, it makes it easier to have success.”

On gaining confidence…
“You have to have some confidence, coming in, that you can play at this level. At camp, you come in and think ‘whoa, these guys are bigger, stronger and faster than I’ve played against before’. Guys on the team like Tyler Dittmer and Matt Lowry – the older guys – really helped me out to feel comfortable and were encouraging.”

On getting advice from his older brother, Luke…
“He was, by far, the biggest influence on me coming into this year. He’s played in the WHL for two years before me. Throughout the season, we kept in touch and he’d always have some pointers for me on what to do and what not to do. He helped me learn about what to expect in the WHL, and how to handle it on and off the ice.”

On winning a Gold medal with the Canadian Under-18 team…
“It was an amazing experience. To be an underage players making the team, putting on the Canadian sweater, and coming back with a Gold medal by beating the Russians on their home ice was such a big honor for me.”

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
© Canadian Hockey League 2008

dagley
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Future captain, for sure. If he sticks around, which is very unlikely after his 19 year old campaign.