PDA

View Full Version : Goons and Enforcers

Malc
05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
by Patrick Hruby/ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=goons

Josh Kemp, a 15-year-old from Saskatchewan with close-cropped blond hair and a broad, lanky frame, is captain of his youth hockey team. Last season, he played in a provincial all-star tournament. He also led his league in penalty minutes and has been working with boxing coach Frank Fiacco since he was 10.

"Josh has a great shot, and he's a good defenseman," says dad Curtis Kemp. "But he's not going to be Wayne Gretzky. He brings another element."

"Other kids are pretty much sitting there flailing their arms around," Josh says. "I actually know what to do."

"He has learned to hit hard," Curtis says. "One hit and it's over."

"I love doing it," Josh says.

"Last year, we're in a tournament in Prince Albert, a real dirty game, and Josh knocks out one kid, then another," Curtis says. "The coach sends out a third guy. Josh knocks him out, too."

"That was fun," Josh says with a laugh, looking slightly embarrassed. "I didn't even know what had happened until my team told me after."

"Josh is going to the Kelowna Rockets' WHL camp next week, his first real taste of what junior hockey can be," Curtis says. "I can say unequivocally that he wouldn't be going if we hadn't come to the Lonsdale Boxing Club in Regina."

"I just like fighting," Josh says.

"Not one time did he get in trouble for it," Curtis says. "He filled a role with the team."

He filled a role with the team. Baseball has designated hitters. Hockey has designated punchers. Why? The answer lies in what author Ross Bernstein calls "the code," the unwritten rules of hockey brawling that govern everything from who fights whom to Laraque's famously wishing fellow tough guy Raitis Ivanans "Good luck, man" before pummelling him. It's no coincidence Boogaard and Josh Kemp have fathers who are cops, and no accident the puckheads use the term "enforcer" instead of "goon."

RoundHouse
05-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I like the attitude he is coming in with ..but easy to say you like fighting now.

It will get a lot more real when you take it to center ice with the helmets off for the first time. Many a player who thought they were tough got broken the first day.
Let him get his ass handed to him for the first time,and see if he comes back,many dont and he will get his ass kicked at some point everyone does.

But i wish him luck ,its the toughest job in hockey that few want ,good luck kid.

:thumb:

nice to see some players still have the fighting spirit in them ,the way the game is going its a rare thing to see anymore.

aaAlta
05-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I dont know about the ass kicked thing. At 16 he doesnt need to respond to or invite the 20 year old heavyweight. If you're reacting to crap on the ice its usually a middleweight agitator you'll go. Which should be manageable for a capable scrapper. If he's inviting he can choose a bit and move up the ranks starting a year older and a weight class higher; and build from there. By 17 or 18, if hes a contender, he should be able to go almost anyone; and learn lots in the process. Without major damage. Sure you might lose a tooth, get black eyes and goose eggs, or the odd busted nose. But thats not as bad as the separated shoulder risk that all defencemen face everynight getting pasted to the boards. Dont get me wrong, I know its a tough job.

RoundHouse
05-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I hear what your saying ...my point was ,he says he wants to be a fighter or enjoys fighting ....he will lose at some point ...it happens,every fighter has been pumped at some point in the early part of their carrer. Some guys never come back from that,and fade out of junior hockey.

i know what your saying about the d-man getting run into the end wall each night ,tough no doubt about it ...but nothing is harder than being an enforcer.

aaAlta
06-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree with you RH. Maybe I'm just trying to encourage more to step up to that front occassionally. I think the team is more complete if theres a few that can step up to that. Then you can reacte to most crap as it occurs. As opposed to just one having to deal with almost all of it. The scrappers I've talked arent really worried about being hurt in a fight. They think theres a greater risk of lasting injuries in play.