PDA

View Full Version : Ladies on the board

DoubleDee
04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Just want to send a shout out to the females on this board. I know from experience that sometimes we can get lost in the testosterone jungle on the boards.

So, a few questions to the ladies:

Did you become a WHL fan because of a boyfriend/husband?

Has being a hockey fan helped or hurt your relationship with your guy (past or present)?

Are you an observer or participant at the games? (This means do you just sit back and watch not really caring or do you yell just as loud at the ref for a dumb call?)

__________________________________________________ ______

I will get it started by saying I was brought to my first WHL game by a boyfriend. However, the love for the sport stayed number one - he didn't - lol

Being a hockey fan has both helped and hurt relationships I have had in the past. Some guys I have dated love the fact that I am loud at the games and get right into it. Others have been intimidated by it and my knowledge of the sport. Oh well, wouldn't want to be with a guy who wouldn't want me to love the WHL like I do.

And, if you haven't guessed it - I am a participant at the games. It drives me when I see ladies sitting there doing their nails or something. COME ON - GAME ON!!

Spungy
04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I became a fan because of my husband, hated it at first, but now i am hooked :D Been season ticket holders for four years now

Being Ice fans has been more a possitive than a negative, it is a family outing, together time

part observer part participant... i tend to be quiet unless something really gets my goat. I agree with you, if you want to visit with a friend go for coffee, if you are going to a hockey game watch the game!
I miss alot of the game because of my young son, he keeps me busy

Number_4
04-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, I started when I was a wee little thing. My daddy and I used to go to Pats games together. It just kinda stuck, now that I'm older I have played a bit too.

As for the boyfriend question, well it hasnt helped but it hasn't hurt either. It just creates some pretty wild debates at times.

And I can yell scream just as loud as the rest of them... matter of fact I do. lol.

lovintherockets
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Ive been a hockey fan since I ws 4....family played, Father coached, went to Victoria Cougar game...got my (_/_) kicked out of a game I was playing at 9 years old (stupid boy took MY puck) charging was the call I think (HEEHEE)

My husband is the smart one of the hockey games but sometimes I surprise the heck out of him with stuff that I know. Never hurt a relationship cause if they couldn't handle it they were toast!

SIT...at hockey??? arer you nuts...my favorite call is to Pat Smith (the Rectum Ref)....always ask if he ate beans cause the whistle is sooo far up his rectum every time he skates to fast the darn thing "Blows"

fightstrap50
04-01-2005, 06:36 PM
good for you girls! my girlfriend is a hockey nut like me too and is at almost every game we have here. weve been season tickets holders for about 4 years now and dont have any plans to not keep on renewing them. GO ICE GO!!! :groovy:

GoChiefsGo
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
My boyfriend got me going to hockey games and I am hooked. I love it more than he does...He's more into baseball. The only way it has hurt out relationship is now we argue on if the Tips dive and who we want to win the playoff games. It's worked for us because it's something we both love to do together and it gets us out of the house. I can't stand the people that go to the game just to eat and drink. I am always yelling the whole time and cheering on my team and yelling at the opposing!!

Bran
04-03-2005, 04:58 PM
My friends family had season tickets and they had a couple extra so the kids could bring friends. So I went to my first pats game when I was about 12 with my friend and her family.

I don't know that it's really affected any past relationships. It can make for good conversation, if nothing else. Though guys don't like it much when I prove them wrong. :laugh:

When I was younger I was a big participant. We used to go to nearly every Pats game, in big groups. We had a blast. Now I usually go with a couple of people and we pretty much just sit and watch the game. Every once in awhile we'll get really into it, if the place is packed and it's a good game. That hasn't happened much the last couple of years though. I think I enjoy the actual game more now than I did then. It used to be all about atmosphere and just having a good time. Now I understand the more technical stuff and I actually know what's going on.

Rebels_chick
04-07-2005, 04:35 PM

No, my family's been involved with hockey for years, and I started playing it when I was 6 because my older brother did. We've been going to WHL games for as long as I can remember.

Has being a hockey fan helped or hurt your relationship with your guy (past or present)?

No, I think it strengthens it, especially with a fellow hockey-lover, because you have more in common. Now if you are fans of rival teams, that's a different story........lol

Are you an observer or participant at the games? (This means do you just sit back and watch not really caring or do you yell just as loud at the ref for a dumb call?)

It depends. If there is a brutal hit from behind, or highstick or something, or the ref is just being an @sswipe, I'll say something. But I don't like to get out of control, because I can have a short fuse, and when you get mad like that you mostly look like an idiot. I CANNOT stand girls who go to the game to talk, or to show off their "hotness" or to try and pick up hockey players. It's gross, they don't know anything about the game, and it's annoying.
I'm done my rant lol. ;)

HAF
04-08-2005, 06:17 AM
I'm not female but my wife is...lol
I will say that hockey is one of the strong points in our marriage. My wife has come to love the game as much as me and it has given us a common interest and has given us something that we really enjoy doing together. I cant get her to fish or golf with me but on hockey nights she's the first one to the car!!! She has even been known to go without me if I have to work late or cannot make it to a game.

C.F
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm like HAF(I'm a guy, too). I actually met my girlfriend at a Giants game. The Giants brought us together, and we go on lots of roadtrips to cheer on the Giants. She's actually the smartest female hockey fan I know.

J23
04-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, I grew up watching hockey so I've loved the sport from the start.

I actually didn't get involved with watching the Rockets until I got involved with one of their players (who shall remain name-less). :rolleyes: Met him through a friend, didn't know he played for the team until he invited me to a game. We broke up part way through the season, but we're still good friends and I've been a season ticket holder for 3 seasons now! haha

Hockey has put a strain on my current relationship but only because my boyfriend lives in Vancouver and I'm here in Kelowna. When those two teams aren't playing eachother then we're okay hahaha.

I think I'm both a participant and an observer. I try to keep my opinions to myself for the most part, but I'll definately let the ref know when he's made a bad call if it's completely obvious or something. I mean, you can only keep quiet for so long right?! And alright, I'll admit it, knowing some of the boys on our team has made me a little biased when it comes to penalties. :D

Kristi
04-10-2005, 11:21 AM
I was a hockey fan before I met my husband.

It didnt hurt or help or relationship I just have him an ultimatum. He had two choices go to games with me or stay home. So he chose going to the games! LOL! We have been together almost 12 years.

I am an active participant! :) I hate when women go to games and read! That annoys the crap out of me! Plus I take about 500 pictures a game so that keeps me busy!

Billy Blade
04-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Sorry for taking so long to clean this thread up, it has now been re-opened. Carry on. ;)

AlbertaBeef
04-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Welcome Fellow Ladies!

I am not just a hockey nut, but a sports freak in general - so no, no man got me interested in the game, unless, maybe I could give credit to my Dad for putting meon skates before I could walk. I've just always loved the game.

As for relationships -well, honestly it can be a strain - men tend to say they want a girl who loves sports and blah, blah, blah, but then they get mad when you know more than them. So, yeah it can be a strain. I sure haven't found one who is as into sports as I am recently!

When I go to games, I'm more of an observer - but that's because I get so into the game I just don't talk. I'm not a fan of people who go to the game to visit, or talk on their phone, or sit and look pretty - I refuse to go with some of my girlfriends because they drive me nuts!

Rebels_chick
04-17-2005, 04:35 PM
When I go to games, I'm more of an observer - but that's because I get so into the game I just don't talk. I'm not a fan of people who go to the game to visit, or talk on their phone, or sit and look pretty - I refuse to go with some of my girlfriends because they drive me nuts!
I'm pretty much the same way. I'd rather go alone, than take a girlfriend. Which is why I end up going to most games with my brothers or my dad.

AMS Princess
04-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Just want to send a shout out to the females on this board. I know from experience that sometimes we can get lost in the testosterone jungle on the boards.

So, a few questions to the ladies:

Well, he wasn't a boyfriend, I just went out with a guy that wanted to take me to a hockey game. I only went to one hockey game at that time and it was in Fairbanks, Alaska when I was at a conference. Then the other hockey I knew was Nintendo's game called Ice Hockey (which I was ok at). Anyways, the guy and I never made it, but a different friend got me hooked into hockey because they had comp tickets because they were billets. After that, I loved going and got myself a season ticket package.

Both. It hurt because I would choose hockey over most things. It helped that it made the guy realize, girls can love and follow sports just as well as guys do.

Both. I follow the puck. I sit behind the goalie and just look straight on into the game. I watch the puck and the players so I don't chit-chat with anybody, not even the guy I bring. :) (He isn't too fond that I don't respond to him during the game, go figure! There is a hockey game going on!) Though I do cheer and yell at the ref when it is an outrageous call.