PDA

View Full Version : wjhc's, memorial cup, molleken questions

wango tango
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
when do we find out if saskatoon will host the world junior's? and what about the 2010 memorial cup?

as a fan which one would you want to see more? i'm greedy i want both.

when molleken came back to saskatoon he signed a 5 year deal. this season will be #5. will he be signed to a new contract? i, for one, hope so. yes the last couple of seasons have not gone as well as i hoped (probably molleken too). he has brought stability to the franchise, and the long term approach being taken is starting to slowly pay off.

if you are the team owner do you resign the gm and head coach? why or why not?

durand, fiala, and possibly gillies could all be gone. gillies being the biggest loss of those three fine kids. there goes a huge amount of scoring out of the lineup.

the biggest question last year, and for this coming season, is who is going to score for the blades? defense and goal look set. who molleken adds as 20's, and what deals he is able to do could go a long way to addressing what looks like a bit of scoring concern up front.

rinkrat
05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
the biggest question last year, and for this coming season, is who is going to score for the blades? .

How about Saskatoon boy James Wright?
Would the Blades be interested?

Sinbin1
05-25-2008, 09:13 PM
He is not a true goal scorer, but is better than they have...

bladesvoice
05-26-2008, 11:58 AM
when do we find out if saskatoon will host the world junior's? and what about the 2010 memorial cup?

as a fan which one would you want to see more? i'm greedy i want both.

when molleken came back to saskatoon he signed a 5 year deal. this season will be #5. will he be signed to a new contract? i, for one, hope so. yes the last couple of seasons have not gone as well as i hoped (probably molleken too). he has brought stability to the franchise, and the long term approach being taken is starting to slowly pay off.

if you are the team owner do you resign the gm and head coach? why or why not?

durand, fiala, and possibly gillies could all be gone. gillies being the biggest loss of those three fine kids. there goes a huge amount of scoring out of the lineup.

the biggest question last year, and for this coming season, is who is going to score for the blades? defense and goal look set. who molleken adds as 20's, and what deals he is able to do could go a long way to addressing what looks like a bit of scoring concern up front.

Hockey Canada is expected to announce sometime in July which cities will host the 2010 and 2012 World Juniors. Should Saskatoon get the 2010 World Juniors, I would think that would kill any thoughts of the Blades hosting the 2010 Memorial Cup just because hosting two major hockey events so close together would be difficult to manage. Should Saskatoon not get the 2010 World Juniors, the Blades would have until November, I believe, to determine whether they want to bid for the 2010 Memorial Cup.
I'm with you, Wango Tango, I would love to see both of them here in 2010...but I'll settle for one or the other!
I think Lorne Molleken will be signed to a new contract...I'm pretty sure preliminary talks towards that have started. I echo what you say about Lorne bringing stability to the franchise. The future looks bright...especially after the weekend spring camp! As for this coming season, once again your questions are valid...making the next few months very interesting!

Les Lazaruk

wango tango
05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
How about Saskatoon boy James Wright?
Would the Blades be interested?

molleken likes saskatchewan kids, and there's a history of deals between the giants and blades. i'm sure if wright was offered for the right price molleken would listen. molleken and hay's coaching styles aren't that different, if wright found himself in hay's doghouse (so the rumour goes) he might find himself there with molleken too. a fresh start could be beneficial.

Douglas
05-26-2008, 04:32 PM
So Les, based on your comment above, what are your thoughts on the weekend camp? Anyone on the ice that looks good for this years roster?

bladesvoice
05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
So Les, based on your comment above, what are your thoughts on the weekend camp? Anyone on the ice that looks good for this years roster?

...is tough to say, because it wasn't an evaluation session. No one made the team or is going to be released because of the weekend. It's easy to be impressed by the size and poise of Duncan Siemens and the speed and skill of a Brent Benson. But, those guys can't play full time until next season. Only half of the Blades' 50-player list was on hand...but of the 14 kids that were skating this weekend, that are eligible to play full time, that I would expect to be on the roster and make a significant contribution would be forwards Charles Inglis, Cody Chikie, Burke Gallimore and Josh Nicholls plus defencemen Tanner Sohn and Patrick Howey. Anybody else making noise about cracking a roster spot in the fall would be a pleasant surprise...in my humble opinion.

Les

dondo
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
What's the capacity of the Saskatoon arena? Because it seems they have been tending toward more big market teams with large facilities to host these events, but you never know.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-26-2008, 10:08 PM
What's the capacity of the Saskatoon arena? Because it seems they have been tending toward more big market teams with large facilities to host these events, but you never know.
Well for hockey the seating capacity is around 11,310 I think that the CUC is one of the larger venues in the WHL and even CHL.

wango tango
05-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Dondo - "What's the capacity of the Saskatoon arena? Because it seems they have been tending toward more big market teams with large facilities to host these events, but you never know."

GBG BLEED BLUE - "Well for hockey the seating capacity is around 11,310 I think that the CUC is one of the larger venues in the WHL and even CHL."

i would expect the lower bowl to be finished, or at least with temporary seating, pushing capacity over 13,000.