PDA

View Full Version : Next year

Chief Jeff
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Now that the Cup is won it is time for the age old question....Can the Chiefs repeat? I think they have a good chance. I think they are set for next year with their defense and obviously goaltending. Unfortuneatly 3 of their top 6 forwards are out as OAs. In my opinion the Chiefs are going to need to bring in someone capable of scoring 30 goals as either an overager or possibly 19 year old. I also think a spot will have to go to a 91 or 92, possibly Gal, Betz, or Conrad.

localguy
05-28-2008, 07:18 AM
This could make for an interestging trade option. Our gm has publicly stated that if Fadden were to come back, he would likely be traded. We are going to have a very young (possibly 3-4 rookies out of camp) d corps next year, and you guys will have a little older and much more expeirenced back end. Could make for a good deal both ways.

HomerSimpson
05-28-2008, 08:24 AM
What about Kevin Armstrong? We all know he most likely won't be back as a Chief OA next year; not only because of Tokarski's run, but young James Reid lay in wait for his shot at the big club next season, and I hear he's a good one. So is Armstrong trade-worthy material? Do we bring in a 20 YO forward for him capable of being a top 6? Is there such a thing out there?

If not, I think we'll be fine. By many accounts, Justin McCrae will/should be back as an OA next year, and I think he would fit in just fine among the top 6 forwards on our team. Throw in Glass as a for sure returnee, and we just have 1 more OA spot to fill between Compton, Kelner and Falk. If it's down to those three, I think Falker will be signed by Minnesota and playing in the AHL or ECHL next season, and that makes Kelner the odd man out.

Bowman/Wahl/McCrae
Koper/Roman/Johnson
Betz???/Compton/Donaghy???
???/Gal/Letts

Conrad???

Glass/Reddington
Cowen/Spurgeon
Ulmer/Coyle
Bartman/Kichton (should be on the team)

Tokarski
Reid

With our top 2 lines, we would be in very good shape. But I do agree that we may need to add a top 6 forward of some sort...whether it be a 19 or 20 YO or not.

Swando
05-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Your situation is very much like the Giants were this last year. A good returning D core and a need for top line scoring. Then with Lucic staying with the Bruins it was that much thinner and hard to find a 20 year old scorer. Giants played most of the year with 2 OA's.

It was good to see the Chiefs win the MC and represent the West in great fashion. It also shows how close both the Tri-City and (in a little lesser way the Giants) were to being there as well.

Chief Jeff
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=

Bowman/Wahl/McCrae
Koper/Roman/Johnson
Betz???/Compton/Donaghy???
???/Gal/Letts

Conrad???

Glass/Reddington
Cowen/Spurgeon
Ulmer/Coyle
Bartman/Kichton (should be on the team)

Tokarski
Reid

With our top 2 lines, we would be in very good shape. But I do agree that we may need to add a top 6 forward of some sort...whether it be a 19 or 20 YO or not.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right with Mccrae up to the first line and Koper to the second. Johnson needs to stay at center though...Love him as the center of the third line with that speed to forecheck and backcheck. Would put one of the kids with him (Gal or Betz) with the fourth being Letts/Compton/Donaghy. This leaves a spot open on the second line for a solid scoring threat to get in trade. Also leaves a spot on the third line for a possible trade or another 91 or 92 if they impress.

LifelongChiefsFan
05-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Your situation is very much like the Giants were this last year. A good returning D core and a need for top line scoring. Then with Lucic staying with the Bruins it was that much thinner and hard to find a 20 year old scorer. Giants played most of the year with 2 OA's.

It was good to see the Chiefs win the MC and represent the West in great fashion. It also shows how close both the Tri-City and (in a little lesser way the Giants) were to being there as well.

For some reason most people like to say that the Americans were the Chiefs' only real threat in the playoffs, and you would think that the Chiefs just breezed past the Giants which was hardly the case. Several bounces the other way in game 6 alone and the G-men force Game 7, where anything can happen. It took a waved off goal by Bouma (which I'm still undecided as to whether or not it should have counted) and a seeing eye shot by Roman that Sexsmith hardly ever gives up, to win game 6. I have no doubt in my mind both Vancouver and Tri-City would have won the cup had they made it.

For the Chiefs, I don't think scoring will be an issue this year. Koper and Johnson both put up respectable numbers scoring wise in the regular season while getting third line minutes. Their scoring numbers should go up next season. It will be interesting to see if he keeps McCrae as their center or if he mixes up the lines some. I do believe that McCrae probably comes closest to replacing Bruton on the Wahl line, but I don't think it would be out of the question to try putting a rookie on that line either. It's too bad Gallimore was traded I think he could have fit that role nicely. He was the one player I was disappointed with going the other way when Speltz made the trades for Glass and McCrae.

As for Falk everything I've heard says he will go pro. Assuming he does I agree the 20's are Compton, Glass and McCrae. It's probably just as well, it would be nice to get Bartman and Coyle some more playing time this year. They both had very good seasons for the Chiefs this year, unfortunately for them Ulmer beat them out in the playoffs mostly due to the PP. Armstrong will definitely be the starter for someone this year, which is something he deserves, hopefully he goes to the East though so the Chiefs don't have to face him more than once a year! I wonder if the Chiefs will get a player for him in return, or just a draft pick. I could see the Chiefs getting a solid 3rd line type player to fill one of the holes left by their departing players. It will be an interesting off season for sure!

HomerSimpson
05-29-2008, 08:29 AM
I, too, wish we still had Gallimore; but on the other hand, without McCrae, I don't think we win the Memorial Cup this year. He brought a whole new element to our third line.

What about:

Bowman/Roman/McCrae or Wahl
Koper/Johnson/Wahl or McCrae
Betz/Compton/Gal or Conrad
Donaghy/Gal/Letts

???

I think we would be okay. Bowman is an elite scorer in the league, you have to think Wahl would be able to put up another 70 pt season, and Roman is as good a passer as anyone else in junior. That gives us 3 of the top weapons in the 'dub, as well as the emerging Koper and Johnson, and McCrae could definitely be a top 6 forward in this league. Add to that Compton's leadership on the third line, along with Donaghy and Letts' experience, and I think we're in good enough shape. By most accounts, if Blake Gal were 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, he could have been a top 10 pick in the draft this year, and Mike Betz has alot of Bowman's characteristics...he was a 17 goal scorer in his 16 yo season.

dondo
05-29-2008, 10:51 AM
I love your faith in our team LCF, but this year for me it felt like the Chiefs were the best team. The Giants had to play their very best to stay in that series and although I agree that a bounce either way could have changed the out-come, I cannot honestly say that the Giants would have won the Memorial Cup had they been in Kitchener.

We lacked some top scorers (and game changers like Lucic), but mostly lacked the kind of speed exemplified by the Ams and the Chiefs, but even more importantly the Rangers and Bulls, who I felt were one-dimensional in their play, but were both stacked teams offensively with blazing speed.

I suspect the Ams would have beat us had we got past you guys. I loved watching the Chiefs team this year though. They are a classy bunch of pure team players. Even Rudy bought into that system (something I didn't think his ego would allow) :p -- and that's saying something.

My concern is that they are still quite young with some wickedly great up and comers and the Giants will most certainly have their hands full next year come playoff time as well.

We could be looking at a dynasty (as much as it can be in the Major Juniors) in the making. Not that the boys wearing the Vancouver sweater won't be making it tough for the Chiefs or are going to lay down, but I am really liking the dimension and pure self-less team game that the Chiefs play.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
05-29-2008, 12:15 PM
OMG. You guys seem to be getting almost all of your team back next year and that is gonna make you the prohibitive favorite to win it all again. Not to say you do not have a lot of talent, but the most important returnee next year is BILL PETERS. Your team is so well coached it is scary. You play a unique system that no other team in the Dub and I venture to say the entire CHL play. The constant pressure in all areas of the ice works great in junior hockey because the other teams just cannot think fast enuff to beat that system. I watched our Hurricanes completely dismantle two very good hockey teams in Calgary and Kootenay with a relentless cycle game. Then you guys made us look like we were playing in cement.
With all your returning players and that system you play, along with the confidence gained by winning the Mem Cup, you should be totally dominant next year. Anything can happen but given everything else being equal, I will say you will win the WHL next year. It is yours to lose.
Interesting to note is that I hear that you were actually gearing it all up for next year, not this one. Same story for the Canes. So the 2 teams that were going for it all in 2009, ended up in the finals in 2008. If we can plug a few defensive holes and get Ben Wright and Dwight King back next year, we might be able to give you a run for your money. But since I am a betting man, I would not bet on us over you!
The one thing I still can't figure out is how you managed to outman us everywhere on the ice. How can you have a 3 and 4 man forecheck and yet when we got the puck and tried to breakout there were 4 or 5 of you back already. It was frustrating as h*** to watch but I appreciated the effort it took to do that. It seemed like you guys had 6 or 7 skaters or something. With that same effort and system next year, I for one am damn glad you guys are in the west.

HomerSimpson
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
OMG. You guys seem to be getting almost all of your team back next year and that is gonna make you the prohibitive favorite to win it all again. Not to say you do not have a lot of talent, but the most important returnee next year is BILL PETERS. Your team is so well coached it is scary. You play a unique system that no other team in the Dub and I venture to say the entire CHL play. The constant pressure in all areas of the ice works great in junior hockey because the other teams just cannot think fast enuff to beat that system. I watched our Hurricanes completely dismantle two very good hockey teams in Calgary and Kootenay with a relentless cycle game. Then you guys made us look like we were playing in cement.
With all your returning players and that system you play, along with the confidence gained by winning the Mem Cup, you should be totally dominant next year. Anything can happen but given everything else being equal, I will say you will win the WHL next year. It is yours to lose.
Interesting to note is that I hear that you were actually gearing it all up for next year, not this one. Same story for the Canes. So the 2 teams that were going for it all in 2009, ended up in the finals in 2008. If we can plug a few defensive holes and get Ben Wright and Dwight King back next year, we might be able to give you a run for your money. But since I am a betting man, I would not bet on us over you!
The one thing I still can't figure out is how you managed to outman us everywhere on the ice. How can you have a 3 and 4 man forecheck and yet when we got the puck and tried to breakout there were 4 or 5 of you back already. It was frustrating as h*** to watch but I appreciated the effort it took to do that. It seemed like you guys had 6 or 7 skaters or something. With that same effort and system next year, I for one am damn glad you guys are in the west.

Not to be defensive, but you might take this offensive.

The trick is, we called our offense our defense, and our defense our offense. :skeptical

dondo
06-01-2008, 01:02 PM
its called hustle HR and without it the Chiefs cannot play that system. The thing is that every team can't implement it as it takes the majority of players to be willing to gut it out night in and night out, pay the price and get back even when they are sucking vapours. Peters is an excellent coach to be able to get that out of all of players. There was not one passenger in Kitchener and the best team, most dedicated and most focused team won.

The Giants play a similar system with a bit more emphasis on D and I think the Ams also play a similar system, but with a touch more focus on offense.

Something else needed to play that way is enough team speed to get back on the back-check when the puck squirts loose to the other guys. This is something the Giants are lacking right now from my perspective and is the reason the Chiefs and Ams both did well against us this past season.