PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Beach: Where will he go?

Tipped Off
06-04-2008, 11:49 AM
from heraldnet.com

Kyle Beach hopes he set the record straight with NHL scouts

At the recent NHL draft combine, 27 of the 30 NHL teams used all of their allotted 20 minutes to talk to the enigma known as Silvertips forward Kyle Beach (below), who said he came away from the interviews confident he cleared the air

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

For most players, the NHL draft combine is about showing the NHL brass just what they're made of.

Not so for Kyle Beach. For the Everett Silvertips star winger, the combine was about clearing the air.

Beach was one of the 107 top prospects for this year's NHL draft who participated in the combine, held last week in Toronto. Beach is expected to be a first-round pick in the draft, which takes place June 20-21 in Ottawa.

Beach wasn't able to strut his stuff quite like the others. He didn't participate in any of the physical testing because of offseason surgery.

However, physical attributes and abilities have never been the primary question regarding the controversial Beach. Beach's draft stock has fluctuated because of questions of character. Stories of his antics both on and off the ice have circulated throughout the hockey community, and the combine gave Beach the opportunity to address those questions directly.

"There's a lot of stuff out there about me that's been blown out of proportion," Beach said when reached Saturday near his home in Kelowna, B.C. "This gave me a chance to clear things up with the teams and show them the kind of person I am in person."

The 18-year-old Beach is one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft. He has both the size (6-foot-3, 203 pounds) and skills (58 goals and 66 assists in 129 career games with Everett) to become an elite power forward. Plus, he's not afraid of the rough stuff, as evidenced by his 422 career penalty minutes.

However, his penchant for undisciplined play and excessive trash talking, combined with his dropoff in production during the second half of this past season, are cause for concern among the NHL's general managers.

Therefore, Beach spent last Monday through Friday at the combine telling his side of the story. Beach met with 27 of the 30 NHL teams, all of which used up their allotted 20 minutes in an effort to determine whether Beach's undeniable skills are worth the risk.

"It was kind of stressful, but exciting at the same time," Beach said of the interviews. "Each team grilled me in its own unique way. There's a lot of rumors flying around out there and most of the questions were about those. But I felt it was a successful week and that I accomplished what I needed to do."

Information regarding one of the concerns about Beach came to light. Beach was unable to participate in the physical testing because he's still recovering from surgery to repair a sports hernia. He underwent the operation in April.

Beach played almost the entire 2007-08 season with the hernia. It didn't cause him any pain during the first half, but he tweaked it early in the second half, meaning he was hindered the final two months of the season. That may help explain why Beach, who was a dominant force in the first half with 23 goals and 28 assists in his first 41 games, managed just four goals and five assists in his final 19.

"About three or four weeks after Christmas I tweaked it and that made it pretty painful at times," Beach said. "It definitely made things more challenging."

Beach was bedridden for about two weeks following surgery, and he hasn't been able to do any physical activity since. However, he's been cleared to resume training this week, and he expects to be at full strength when training camp rolls around in August.

"Looking forward it feels good," Beach said. "There's no pain now and it doesn't appear that it will affect me in the future."

With the combine now over, the next step for Beach is the draft. Beach's status has been slipping in the various rankings, but he's still ranked as the seventh-best North American skater by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau and 13th overall by the International Scouting Service.

"(The draft) is about three weeks away now and it's getting pretty exciting," said Beach, who will attend the draft. "I think about it quite a bit now. But it's just the next step in the process. On that day I'll step back and see what I've accomplished so far. But the next day I'll be back to work toward my goal of making the NHL."

Tipped Off
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hockey.com
Pick: 10th, Vancouver Canucks
Comment: The Canucks may take a look at B.C. boy Beach, who has plenty of upside along with just as many question marks thanks to a nasty temper. Will provide the grit and edge needed in the Northwest, provided he can stay out of the penalty box. Certainly a risk the Orcas should take.

Bleacherreport.com
Pick: 3rd, Atlanta Thrashers
Comment: Fantastic centreman who has great visibility and is the best playmaking centre in the Western Hockey League. He uses his size to his advantage and draws many comparisons to MAts Sundin, although, it is far to early to tell if this is what he will develop into.

NHLdraftsite.com
Pick: 3rd, Atlanta Thrasher
Comment: None

mynhldraft.com
Pick: 9th, Nashville Predators
Comment: None

dondo
06-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Bleacherreport.com
Pick: 3rd, Atlanta Thrashers
Comment: Fantastic centreman who has great visibility and is the best playmaking centre in the Western Hockey League. He uses his size to his advantage and draws many comparisons to MAts Sundin, although, it is far to early to tell if this is what he will develop into.

I don't buy this at all ^ sure he's got some offensive upside, but best playmaking centre in the DUB??.. not even the best playmaking draft-eligible centre from the dub . Not by a long long shot. Looks like bleacher report has to go back to the drawing board because this assessment is out and out wrong.

He's a Steve Downie kind of player with the same weaknesses that Downie has, he takes bad penalties and is a distraction on and off the ice. Combine that with the fact that he's probably the most unsportsmanlike player in the dub and I wouldn't want my team to take him. He's a head case through and through.

Beach would do well to put all that crap aside and try to emulate the skill players of the NHL and not the Averys of the NHL.

Scout
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Vancouver Canucks can’t ignore WHL’s feisty Kyle Beach

By Jeff Paterson

Two decades ago, they gave Cam Neely away. Two years ago, they let Milan Lucic get away. So it’ll be interesting to see what the Vancouver Canucks do if Kyle Beach is available when it’s their turn to pick, 10th overall, in the June 20 National Hockey League entry draft in Ottawa.

The North Vancouver–born, Kelowna-raised Beach is the highest-rated British Columbian in the upcoming cattle call for junior-aged hockey players. He’s also the biggest, toughest, meanest forward available at the top end of a draft class heavy on defencemen, and new general manager Mike Gillis has made no secret of the fact he plans to address the Canucks’ glaring lack of many of the very qualities Beach possesses.

But the 6-3 203-pounder, who plays for the Western Hockey League’s Everett Silvertips, also comes with considerable baggage. At just 18, Beach has been plagued by concussions and is on the mend after successful end-of-season hernia surgery. And the questions about his health are quickly followed by queries about his attitude and on-ice discipline that have dogged him during his two full years in the WHL.

To some in the hockey world, Beach is raw but harnessable talent. There are others who see him as nothing but trouble. It’s what makes the hulking, right-handed centre/left-winger such a tantalizing prospect. He already has professional size and the potential to step into an NHL lineup next season. Yet he also has strikes against him that will certainly make some teams steer clear.

But it’s hard to ignore the fact that Beach had 27 goals and 60 points in 60 games this past season. It’s even tougher to look past his 222 penalty minutes—almost 100 more than the next-most-penalized first-round prospect. Beach, ranked fourth among North Americans in the mid-season rankings by the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau, dropped to seventh when the final report was released.

Beach has heard all the talk, and he’s taking it all in stride, knowing there’s nothing he can do now but sit back and wait to hear his name called by a team that wants what he can deliver.

“I started off having a great season,” the well-spoken teenager tells the Georgia Straight by telephone from Toronto, where he recently took part in an NHL scouting “combine” (physical workouts and interviews with NHL clubs) for all top prospects.

“The first half, I don’t think I could have asked for more. Going into the second half, I started to have troubles with injuries, so it was a real battle coming down the stretch. I’d have to say it [the season] didn’t live up to the expectations I had for it. I did have 222 penalty minutes this year. There’s an agitator side to me, and I don’t shy away from the rough stuff either. Both of those are a part of my game.

"I’m willing to do whatever it takes in any game and in any situation to help my team win. Sometimes I do cross over the line. It’s something that we really focused on this year, and I believe that with the help of my coaches in Everett and my teammates it’s something that I’ve really been able to improve on.”

Beach knows that some will question his penalty-minute total, but he’s confident that the scouts who’ve watched him all season know the story behind his frequent trips to the box.

“I believe lots of my penalties this year were not lazy, dumb penalties but more of them were the hard-working ones that you just can’t help, or good penalties in the sense that something was going to happen and I saved it from happening,” he explains.

Beach aspires to develop into a player like Calgary Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who shows up, plays hard, and contributes in all areas almost every time he steps on the ice. And he’s motivated by another professional athlete who brings the heat on a regular basis: Oakland A’s fastballer Rich Harden, a Victoria native and Beach’s second cousin.

“I’ve only got to meet him a couple of times, but he’s a great guy and he always has time for everybody. He made it all the way [to the major leagues], and I hope I can do the same,” Beach says.

If Beach is still available when it’s time for the Canucks to make their first selection, it’s hard to imagine them taking a pass on him. Mike Gillis has promised to do business differently, and selecting a guy who is the very definition of a wild card certainly would break the mould of an organization that has traditionally stuck with the draft mantra of “taking the best available player”.

But the recent death of Luc Bourdon—the only defenceman the Canucks chose in the first round in the past 10 years—may force them to consider the future of their blueline instead.

Beach knows he’s on the Canucks’ radar. “I didn’t get a chance to meet with them during the season, but a couple of their scouts did fly in to meet with me for a weekend in Kelowna after the season,” he says. “It was a really good interview. I thought it went really well, and they definitely sounded interested.”

Consider, too, that the Canucks selected a pair of Beach’s Everett teammates in last year’s draft (Taylor Ellington and Dan Gendur) and spent many nights making the quick trip across the border to attend Silvertips games and chart the progress of their prospects. So they have seen plenty of Beach, too, and they know exactly what he’s all about.

When it comes to drafting Beach later this month, the cautious will ask if they can afford to take the risk. The bold will wonder if they can afford not to. And we may learn plenty about the direction the Canucks plan to go in if Beach is still available when it’s Vancouver’s turn to pick.

Scout
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Beach, Kyle - RW - Everett
Kyle Beach / Everett Silvertips WHL
RW-R / 6-3, 203 / 13-Jan-1990

Skating: 35 / Skill: 65 / Sense: 65 / Compete: 80 / Tough: 65

Strengths: Ultra competitive and physical. Excellent hands. Very good hockey sense.

Weaknesses: Skating is a problem. Very questionable character and tends to be a huge distraction off the ice. Concussion history is a serious concern.

Has the dream package of size, hands, and competitiveness. Does not get enough credit for his skill level. Excellent goal scorer's instincts and can create as well. Skating is not good and will have to improve. Added 22 pounds from last season. Horrible finish to season - but was stuck on a bad line in second half. I don't understand why Becanic split Hamill and Beach onto different lines - perfectly complementary players who should have both been on the first line all season.

Summary: The ultimate home run swing pick. Either going to be an NHL All-Star or bounce from team to team burning bridges with coaches.

Target/Want: Concussions drop him quite a bit for me. But you can't let this guy get past the 20th pick.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-06-2008, 07:14 PM
i thought this title was refering to what WHL team he was going to go to. Its widely speculated that he has fallen out of favor in Everett due to all of his BS.

He would bring in a pretty hefty package of players, which could fix everett's problem with depth. Though I dont think the tips will deal him, not before the deadline anyways.

He's a Steve Downie kind of player with the same weaknesses that Downie has, he takes bad penalties and is a distraction on and off the ice. Combine that with the fact that he's probably the most unsportsmanlike player in the dub and I wouldn't want my team to take him. He's a head case through and through.
Just like mentioned above, he also cant skate. Downie shares the same weakness in that regard as well.

Beach is basically a bigger Downie. Both got pretty good skills and vision, but cant skate good enough to become that 'impact power forward' he is touted to be. I see him as a 3rd liner agitator like Downie is, and I dont think he will put up the same numbers in the NHL that he will/has in junior.

I could be wrong, of course.

Tipped Off
06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
He would bring in a pretty hefty package of players, which could fix everett's problem with depth.

I tend to disagree about the quality of players he could bring in a trade.....Beach won't be traded because of two things. One, he is an enigma that you will not get good value for. Too many teams would be worried about bringing him into their organization for a stretch run and disrupting everything and two, you only have to beat two teams to make the playoffs.

Portland is going to be better, but you have to think you can beat them. That just leaves one team you have to beat. Beach gives you that opportunity, especially with the offensive guys we are losing this year. You jsut can't afford to give away any offense. Yes, this is a developmental league and yes, you want to build for the future, but it is also a business that wants that playoff revenue and fanbase to continue.

I for one will be surprised if Beach isn't on this team in the upcoming season.