PDA

View Full Version : Former Bronco Announcer Makes The Big Show

Scout
06-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Former Bronco play by play announcer Joey Kenward has moved up to the NHL. For those old enough, when Regan Bartel moved on to Kelowna Rockets, Joey Kenward moved from the Rockets to the Broncos. In other words they switched spots.

Voice of Vancouver Giants tipped to be new Canucks play-by-play voice

Jim Jamieson, The Province
Published: Thursday, June 05, 2008

Starting this September, the familiar voice of John Shorthouse describing Vancouver Canucks games on the radio broadcasts will be moving for 45 games to the television booth of Sportsnet Pacific.

And another not quite so familiar but local voice will be taking over Shorthouse's spot at TEAM 1040 AM, as The Province has learned from a source that Vancouver Giants play-by-play announcer Joey Kenward will be named to call the 45 radio games.

TEAM 1040 AM program director Rob Gray wouldn't confirm that Kenward is the winning candidate for the plum broadcasting job.

Canucks play-by-play man John Shorthouse will call 45 televised games. He will broadcast the rest on radio.
Province file photo

There are a number of people who would like [the job] and he's one of the people who's applied for it," said Gray. "We've got a short-list developed with a bunch of candidates. We're just going through that and we're within a week or so of having an announcement on who will do those games."

Gray said the successful candidate must fit easily into the current mix with Shorthouse and Tom Larscheid, the veteran colour commentator who recently signed a three-year contract extension.

"We want someone who can work with Tom and Shorty and be part of our crew," he said. "We'd love to discover the next John Shorthouse."

Kenward, 30, a Nanaimo native who began his play by play career in Swift Current, Sask., has been the Giants play-by-play announcer for five years.

Shorthouse, who's been the full-time radio voice of the Canucks since the 1999-00 season, sees the partial move to TV as the best of both worlds.

"It affords you the luxury of having your cake and eating it too," said Shorthouse, who was contacted by Sportsnet in late April.

"You get a little bit more exposure with the TV package, but you also get to be there every step of the way and do every [Canucks] game.

Joe Bowen does it in Toronto and so does Dean Brown in Ottawa.

"They [Sportsnet and TEAM 1040 AM] were nice enough to allow this split to happen. It was always in my mind a possibility and a goal of mine."

The position at Sportsnet came open when Jim Hughson signed a six-year deal in March with CBC to call hockey and baseball.

Shorthouse will work with colour commentator and former Canucks goaltender John Garrett at Sportsnet.

Although Shorthouse does Canucks pay-per-view games along with Larscheid, he hasn't done this number of TV games since the 1998-99 season when he did 30 games on Sportsnet.

He said he'll be feeling his way through the transition. "That's something I'll have to work my way through," he said. "Because the pictures are there to show people what's going on, your colour analyst can talk more when the puck's in play on TV.

"The good thing is on radio Tom and I have worked together so long it's like riding a bike, and John and I are pretty good friends so I think it's going to be an easy transition."

Big Ern
06-05-2008, 11:19 PM
It's great to read this story about a guy I listened to every single game a few years back when I not yet had the opportunity to watch the game live. Obviously Joey has done very well from the time he started his career here in Swifty.