PDA

View Full Version : 2008-09 Pats Prospects

nivek_wahs
06-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Here (http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/2008/06/08-09-prospects-regina.html) they are.

scoreboard
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Here (http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/2008/06/08-09-prospects-regina.html) they are.

Cick on the Here above - to see the players names

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I always thought that the player protected lists (basically what these are) were held from the public for a reason.

Interesting read nonetheless, but still think that if these franchises wanted the public to know all the players they hold the rights to, they would have done so.

Cick on the Here above - to see the players names

I guess we learn something new every day.

...... :skeptical

T-Bone
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
if these franchises wanted the public to know all the players they hold the rights to, they would have done so.

Maybe they should do a better job at protecting the lists if they don't want them to be public knowledge.

Steak

AlanC
06-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I always thought that the player protected lists (basically what these are) were held from the public for a reason.
Interesting read nonetheless, but still think that if these franchises wanted the public to know all the players they hold the rights to, they would have done so.

Yes, the PPLs are obviously are held from the public for a reason, but you can be sure it isn't a very good reason.

Some people say that the teams want to protect the up-and-coming players from the pressure of fan expectations. But that's actually a ludicrous reason since every team trots their top bantam picks in front of the cameras every May, and the bantam draft lists are freely available on the WHL and team sites. It's not that hard for fans to put together 90% of a team's PPL just using their bantam draft lists. Which means the only kids being "protected" by the secrecy are the undrafted, listed players. Are those players somehow more needing of protection from the scrutiny of fans than drafted players are? It's ridiculous...not to mention that every kid who's on a PPL knows he's on it, which means his family and his girlfriend and all his friends and teammates and half the kids at his school and people who live on his street know it too....and they might be worried about anonymous FANS creating pressure for the kid? That reason doesn't fly.

And to shoot down another possible "reason", every team in the league has access to all 22 PPL's. So, there are no secrets....when I put a player on my list or drop one off, every other scout and GM in the league knows about it tomorrow. So the secrecy isn't to keep other teams in the league in the dark about who I've got.

About the only reason I can think of that makes even a tiny bit of sense is that it's to keep competing leagues (NCAA, Jr A, etc) in the dark about some of the kids the WHL is interested in. If an NCAA school was eyeballing a kid, for example, it might put a little more urgency into the school's recruitment attempts if they knew the kid had WHL options than if they knew nobody in the WHL was interested.

But again....with the bantam lists being public, it's obvious who 90% of the players on WHL PPLs are. They're putting on this big show of secrecy to protect the identities of maybe five kids on each list? Silly....

Alan

lasiter
06-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Just wondering,what happened to Spencer Laycock a goalie who was on the Pats protected list, was with the AAA mintos last year Thanks

AlanC
06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Just wondering,what happened to Spencer Laycock a goalie who was on the Pats protected list, was with the AAA mintos last year

Laycock is no longer on the list, so he must have been dropped. He is not on anyone else's list either.

The Pats probably figured they are set for the next several years in net with Rowat, Bosch, Ketlo, and Tendler....doesn't make sense to have six or seven goalies on your list since the turnover at that position is so slow.

The good news for Laycock is that he'll probably have his choice of several training camps to attend on a tryout....he can pick a team where the goaltending situation is maybe a little less deep.

patsdude114
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
The good news for Laycock is that he'll probably have his choice of several training camps to attend on a tryout....he can pick a team where the goaltending situation is maybe a little less deep.

I think Laycock is more of a SJHL goaltender then a WHL goalie, if he doesnt get added to a protected list by training camp dont expect him to see any WHL action during his career, there is a reason the Pats dropped him instead of trading his rights away for another list player. They just dont see him being WHL calibar anymore with his progression. I see him 1 step lower then the WHL.