PDA

View Full Version : Finally... IPSCO Place revitalization

nivek_wahs
06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=af02bf10-d37e-400c-a564-5acbf284bb03

patsdude114
06-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Just a prime example of getting things done... something MJ city counsil cant seem to figure out. Mj has been trying to get federal funds, if i remember correctly all they have secured is some provincal funds, federal funds havent come thru yet, prob cuz MJ isnt 100% sure they WANT a new facility yet.

Maybe MJ city counsil should sit in and learn something from Regina's city counsil to learn how to get things down and go ahead with projects.

nivek_wahs
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Old barn on its last legs? (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f1fc1e57-b270-4a5c-bdfa-1565d13db1e9)

Old barn on its last legs?

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Federal approval of IPSCO Place's revitalization plan will signal changes in Regina's sporting landscape.

Exhibition Stadium, for example, likely faces demolition after completion of a multi-use facility that will accommodate six ice surfaces.

"We will be closing Exhibition Stadium,'' IPSCO Place president/CEO Mark Allan said. "We haven't set a date right now but, tentatively, we're probably looking at January of 2010 -- as soon as these new arenas come online -- that the old stadium would come offline.''

The stadium, built in 1919, was Regina's primary hockey facility until the Agridome (now the Brandt Centre) opened in 1977. Until early 2010, the Stadium will continue to be used by oldtimers' hockey leagues and circuits featuring younger players. After the six new rinks open, Exhibition Stadium's life expectancy will almost certainly be finite.

"I think it probably, unfortunately, is a demolition situation,'' Allan said. "We'll take a look at what we can do. In the community, we've found ways in other locations to preserve some aspect or a look in something that's replacing the old. We'll see if we can't do something there. Our current plan is for demolition.''

Allan realizes that many Reginans have a sentimental attachment to the Stadium -- the former home of the WHL's Regina Pats.

"I've always been amazed at the loyalty there is to that building,'' Allan said. "I think we want to find a respectful way of stepping away from there, but it is a 1919 building and it's very expensive to run. Unfortunately, it's in generally run-down condition, except it has a lot of great memories for the community and we want to be respectful of that when we step away. On top of it, I think it still has pretty good ice.

"We're definitely mindful of the history and the contribution of the stadium.''

The future of Exhibition Stadium is to be addressed in Phase 3 of IPSCO Place's plan, which is in its initial stages. Phase 3 also calls for the levelling of Exhibition Auditorium, which the Stampede Wrestling circuit once visited on a weekly basis.

"Just because it's slated for demolition right now doesn't mean that necessarily will happen in the future,'' Allan noted. "We'll be revisiting those aspects. With a three-phase plan that we had for revitalizing the property, we really spent our most time and energy and focus on the first phase. The second and third phases have had less attention. As we get this one up and running, we'll revisit our earlier decisions on Phases 2 and 3. Some of the aspects may stay and some aspects may go.''

The blueprint also calls for the Brandt Centre to be expanded.

"I think we're looking at somewhere in the 7,000 to 8,000 range,'' Allan said of the anticipated seating capacity. "We're looking at creating more flexibility in the facility for a wider range of events.''

IPSCO Place is also looking to improve the ice quality. Further down the road, the Brandt Centre's dressing rooms are to be upgraded. (Although the Evraz Group has acquired IPSCO's Canadian assets, there are no immediate plans to change the name of IPSCO Place.)

Pats owner Russ Parker hopes the expansion will lead to increased attendance at his team's games. The Pats set a single-season attendance record in 2007-08, welcoming an average crowd exceeding 5,000 for the first time in franchise history.

"We have 5,500 seats there now, which certainly is adequate for major-junior hockey in a market our size,'' the Calgary-based Parker said. "Yes, there are nights when we could use more seats. If we can continue to grow our product and make it entertaining for our fans so they will have a good experience coming to the Brandt Centre, then I think we certainly anticipate attendance increasing over time.''

The go-ahead for the revitalization plan took longer than expected. IPSCO Place and City of Regina officials were hoping to get the thumbs-up to begin construction early in the spring, but the federal funding was not confirmed until Thursday. The federal, provincial and civic governments are each contributing $20 million for Phase 1 as part of Ottawa's Building Canada program.

The six new arenas -- one of which is to seat 2,500 -- are to be located near the former racetrack at Queensbury Downs.

The city has yet to announce how the new complex will affect the viability of some of the city's existing arenas or recreational facilities.

Mayor Pat Fiacco said the city is assessing all of its recreational and cultural facilities as part of its Recreation Facility Strategy 2020 initiative. Public consultations were held June 3 and 4 to obtain feedback.

The forums helped a consultant gather information, which is also being gleaned from meetings with stakeholders and focus groups, along with a random sample survey. The consultant's final report is to be submitted to city administration later this summer. Civic officials will then consider the report, which is not binding, while examining its facilities.

"We have not made any decisions on closing any facilities,'' Fiacco said. "Our objective is to make sure we have the right type of facilities and the right quality of facilities to meet our current and future needs.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

scoreboard
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Old barn on its last legs? (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f1fc1e57-b270-4a5c-bdfa-1565d13db1e9)

It will be sad moment to see that old Exhibition Stadium (Cow Palace), what ever you wish to call it, being torn down. So, so, many memories. I almost got killed in the east end press box, hanging over the rink, in the 1969 Memorial Cup Game. I had to be moved from my box to give way to the radio announcers from Montreal. The Regina Pats had won the face-off. I was writing down the changes of the players, when I heard aloud slap shot. Looked up and saw the puck coming right at my eyes. I fell off the chair as that puck went over my brush cut.

Another story was in 1970 when Flin Flon Bomers were playing, we were up 9-3. Bombers were always poor loosers. They empted the bench, with only a few minutes left in the game. It took 45 minutes to get the players to the dressing room. 440 minutes in penalties.

Their are old stories of some of the great ex-Pats and how they snuck into the rink to see a Pats game.

Well so much for the old stories. I am sure there are many more stories out there from the old timers.

All my memories with the Regina Pats were in that rink, 1965-66 to 1976-77, plus the first year in the Agridome. Had the chance to work with 4 differenct Coaches. Bob TURNER, Jack Shupe, Earl Sr. Ingarfield and Lorne Davis.

Even before my being with the Regina Pats, 1955 to 1965 - saw some great players, Billy Hicke, Gordon Berenson, Frank Huck, Ernie Hicke (Billy's brother), Ron Garwasiuk, Chico Resch, Dennis Sobchuk, Clark Gillies, just to name a few.