PDA

View Full Version : Blades Extend Contracts

Scout
06-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Blades Extend Hockey Operations Contracts

The Saskatoon Blades have announced that they have extended the contracts of General Manager/Head Coach Lorne Molleken, Assistant General Manager Jarrod Brodsky, Head Scout Doug Molleken, and Assistant Coach Dave Struch.
Lorne Molleken, the Blades all time leader in wins by a Head Coach, has signed a 4 year contract extension in addition to the 1 year remaining on his current contract. The signing will see him with the Blades through the 2012/13 hockey season. Meanwhile Dave Struch, a Blades Alumni from his days with the team in the early 1990’s, has signed a 1 year extension for the upcoming 2008/09 season.

The organization is also pleased to have Jarrod Brodsky and Doug Molleken each sign 3 year contract extensions, taking them through the 2010/11 hockey season.

“I would like to thank Jack and the Brodsky family for their support and their belief in the plan we have set forth,” commented Molleken. “Having an opportunity to be a part of an organization with such a tremendous tradition is an honour. We will continue to strive to build a championship team for our great fans while this extension allows my family and I to remain in the beautiful city of Saskatoon,” said Molleken. “I would also like to thank Jack for allowing me to extend the contracts of Jarrod, Doug, and David in order to keep our hockey operations staff intact.”

“We’re extremely pleased to have been able to extend Lorne’s contract. He does such a great job with our players and really operates under the same philosophies as our family,” commented Blades Owner/Governor Jack Brodksy. “He is a great asset to us. His hockey staff have also done an outstanding job here and we really feel that our future is bright. Doug, Jarrod, and David all bring special, complementary qualities to our hockey operations and our entire hockey staff works very well as a unit. We felt that it was very important to have that continuity heading into next season.”

Scout

Big Ern
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Lorne Molleken, the Blades all time leader in wins by a Head Coach, has signed a 4 year contract extension in addition to the 1 year remaining on his current contract. The signing will see him with the Blades through the 2012/13 hockey season.

It's only me, but this is interesting news....

I really like to attend games in the Bridge City....and I got talking to their fans quite a bit last season. From what all the fans felt, I gathered that they either wanted Mr. Molleken moved up to GM primarily, or moved away from the organization period. They felt that in four years he had not gotten the results that are needed to improve a sagging Saskatoon attendance percentage by achieving better on-ice production.

Just random thoughts on the issue...perhaps the few fans I talked to were ill-informed?

Trav
06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
that Lorne could move up to the box during the next five years but for now I can live with him being both the coach and gm. During the second half of last season, the team played pretty good compared to the first half and if they can continue that next season and play well all year, then they should be a pretty good team and who knows what could happen then. However if they have another so so season then Lorne would be best to step down as coach and let someone else take over. Whose out there that would make a good WHL coach right now? I can't think of anyone.

Now that pretty much all of the players on the team are not considered to be his (in terms of being drafted or listed by him) it is his team now pretty much.

wango tango
06-17-2008, 11:50 AM
It's only me, but this is interesting news....

I really like to attend games in the Bridge City....and I got talking to their fans quite a bit last season. From what all the fans felt, I gathered that they either wanted Mr. Molleken moved up to GM primarily, or moved away from the organization period. They felt that in four years he had not gotten the results that are needed to improve a sagging Saskatoon attendance percentage by achieving better on-ice production.

Just random thoughts on the issue...perhaps the few fans I talked to were ill-informed?

i was one of those who felt molleken should become a full time gm, not for any coaching reason, but because i thought it was crucial for the team at the time for him to focus only on his gm duties. i think it would be a mistake for anyone to believe it should have been gm only or out the door. molleken has brought stability to the organization, the talent cupboard for the first time in years seems full, and will hopefully start paying dividends in the next couple of seasons.

wango tango
06-17-2008, 11:52 AM
that Lorne could move up to the box during the next five years but for now I can live with him being both the coach and gm. During the second half of last season, the team played pretty good compared to the first half and if they can continue that next season and play well all year, then they should be a pretty good team and who knows what could happen then. However if they have another so so season then Lorne would be best to step down as coach and let someone else take over. Whose out there that would make a good WHL coach right now? I can't think of anyone.

Now that pretty much all of the players on the team are not considered to be his (in terms of being drafted or listed by him) it is his team now pretty much.

the only 'name' i can think of that's whl ready and able to take over a team is marc habscheid. my understanding is that habby wants to not only coach, but also have control over personnel, a gm/head coach role. the rumor was when he was negotiating with portland that part ownership was even on the table, for what rumors are worth. if everything is true, it limits the number of teams that would be a fit.