PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Hunt to Ottawa (edited thread)

nivek_wahs
06-15-2008, 04:09 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

I don't normally deal in this stuff, but here's a text I got today. The sender will remain anonymous, but this story is picking up steam....

"Hi Rod, rumor has it Curtis Hunt might be off to Ottawa with Hartsburg. And Derkatch to coach here?? Any truth to it. "

I'm told that as of Saturday night, Curtis had not yet heard anything from the Sens, nor their new coach Craig Hartsburg.

Stay tuned.

nivek_wahs
06-15-2008, 04:12 PM
More truth than rumour? I dont know...

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2008/06/story-grows.html

The Story Grows..

A text from Winnipeg...

"FYI: I've heard from 2 coaches since the Hartsburg announcement Hunt will be his assistant. Bombers just released Troy Westwood"

nivek_wahs
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=a42b191c-621e-4259-8fdf-0e33668159dd

Hunt plays down rumours
Pats' bench boss knows new Ottawa Senators coach well

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, June 16, 2008

REGINA -- Curtis Hunt spoke with newly appointed Ottawa Senators head coach Craig Hartsburg on the weekend.

But it wasn't about an assistant-coaching position with the Senators -- although Hunt is rumoured to be a candidate for such a job.

Instead, the Regina Pats' head coach called Hartsburg to congratulate him on the NHL gig. Hunt was on Hartsburg's coaching staff at the last two world junior hockey championships, both of which were won by Canada.

Hunt was in Calgary on Saturday to speak to Hockey Canada's under-17 coaches as part of the Program of Excellence.

"Our whole staff was there, minus him, from the world juniors in the last two years,'' Hunt said Sunday. "We called him and busted his chops a little bit. Other than that, there was nothing in terms of a business perspective.''

After tending to the Hockey Canada obligations, Hunt read various text messages which pertained to the Senators-related speculation.

"It's just rumours, and that's expected,'' Hunt said. "We had some success and people want to drum up some news. If there isn't a rumour by 10 a.m., let's start one.''

To dispel the rumours, Hunt contacted Pats general manager Brent Parker on the weekend.

"I got off the plane and I texted Brent and said I'd had no conversation with Craig other than to congratulate him and to wish him the best for the upcoming season,'' Hunt said.

Although Hartsburg has not approached Hunt about an assistant's job, would he welcome any overtures from Ottawa?

"I think there's more people involved than just Craig,'' Hunt said. "He's certainly got a lengthy history in the game as a coach and an assistant coach. If I'm on his list, I'd be honoured, but we don't know what Ottawa's plans are with their assistants, currently. There's so many factors.''

The Senators have yet to announce whether they will retain assistant coach Greg Carvel and goaltending coach Eli Wilson.

"I've already talked about Greg, who is under contract, and they've worked together before (in Anaheim), and (Hartsburg) gets along and respects Greg a lot,'' Senators general manager Bryan Murray -- who coached the 1979-80 Pats -- told the Ottawa Citizen after Hartsburg was appointed. "I believe he's going to keep him and I also talked about Eli Wilson, as far as his credibility and the camps he runs, and the goaltenders he knows, and (Hartsburg) will decide.

"There's also another assistant coaching job. He threw a name at me, a very credible name. If that's who he wants, I know the guy quite well. I would be very happy with him.''

Hunt has been the Pats' head coach for four seasons after previously serving as the Moose Jaw Warriors' bench boss. He guided the 2007-08 Pats to their first East Division regular-season title in 10 years, only to lament a first-round playoff ouster at the hands of the Swift Current Broncos.

Hunt has one season remaining on his Pats contract, which includes a standard professional-advancement clause that would enable him to accept a pro job.

rvanstone@leaderpost.canwest.com

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
06-20-2008, 09:24 AM
From Greg Drinnan.... http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

RUMOUR MILL: Spies spotted former WHL head coach Marc Habscheid in Regina on Wednesday. He was at The Chimney, a fine restaurant, and, yes, he was lunching with Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker. No sign of Jamie Heward or Mike Sillinger, though. Go ahead. Let your imagination run wild. . . .

nivek_wahs
07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
OFFICIAL: HUNT TO OTTAWA

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=0ab138f9-54c2-4de3-b271-45ee7e4e33dd

Pats' coach Hunt heading to Ottawa as assistant

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, July 11, 2008

REGINA -- The Regina Pats are expected to call a press conference Friday morning, at which time the WHL club will announce that head coach Curtis Hunt is leaving to join the coaching staff of the Ottawa Senators, the Leader-Post has learned.

The 41-year-old Regina product will serve as an assistant under Craig Hartsburg, renewing a relationship that began two years ago with Canada's national junior team. Hunt coached the Canadian defence under Hartsburg at the past two world junior championships, winning back-to-back gold medals.

The Senators hired Hartsburg last month after four seasons with the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Hunt was subsequently interviewed for the NHL club's vacant assistant's job during the NHL entry draft in Ottawa.

Although Hunt had been at the top of Hartsburg's list from the start, he was believed to be out of the running as recently as a few days ago while the organization looked in another direction. It has been speculated that Senators GM Bryan Murray had focused his attention of veteran NHL assistant Wayne Fleming.

Negotiations with Hunt came together quickly over the past two days.

Hunt joined the Pats in 2004-05, accumulating a record of 132-127-11-18 over four seasons. There's one year remaining on his contract with the WHL club, but the pact includes an escape clause which allows him to pursue pro advancement.

Hunt and Pats GM Brent Parker could not be reached for comment.

Two names that will immediately be mentioned as candidates to replace Hunt are Pats legend Dale Derkatch, who guided the Notre Dame Hounds to a Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League title last season, and former NHL assistant Marc Habscheid, who has previously coached WHL teams in Kamloops and Kelowna.

Derkatch is the leading candidate, sources say. He hasn't yet discussed the job with the Pats.

"It's like anything in the hockey world, I think you have to listen to what people have to say," he said Thursday from Notre Dame, where he runs the Hounds' hockey program. "(The Pats' job) is interesting but they also have a guy who has been a head coach in the junior A ranks in Terry Perkins who's a good coach too. Who knows? There's probably a whole bunch of good candidates out there but I'd talk to them for sure."

Perkins, who has been a Pats' assistant for the past three seasons, was shocked to hear that Hunt is moving on. That said, he's definitely interested in the job.

"It has always been a goal to try to become a head coach," said Perkins, who's travelling with his family in B.C. "I've worked hard for Curtis for the last three years in hopes that he would get a chance to move up. I hope for his sake that he does get a chance. I think he deserves it. He's a great coach and a great person. If there's any truth to this, I hope it works out for him. From my point of view I'd obviously be interested. I've worked hard for the organization and for Curtis and Brent and would hope to get an opportunity one day."

Before joining the Pats, Hunt spent three seasons behind the bench of the Moose Jaw Warriors. He was named the Eastern Conference coach-of-the-year in 2003-04 after guiding the club to its first-ever 40-win season and East Division title.

Hunt was also an assistant coach with Canada's gold medal-winning under-18 team in 2006. The former WHL defenceman won a Memorial Cup with the WHL's Prince Albert Raiders in 1985. He went on to play nine pro seasons between the AHL and IHL before becoming an assistant coach with the IHL's Grand Rapids Griffins.

In his first season with Regina, Hunt guided the rebuilding Pats to a 12-50-4-6 record, worst in the WHL. After that, the team posted three straight winning seasons, including a pair of 40-win campaigns. In 2006-07, he helped the Pats reach the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Last season, Hunt guided the Pats to their first East Division title since 1997-98.

On Dec. 10 of last year, Hunt coached his 241st regular-season game with the Pats, moving him past Brad Tippett into second place on the all-time franchise list. He'll finish with 268 games, trailing only the legendary Bob Turner at 499.

gharder@leaderpost.canwest.com

© Leader-Post 2008

nivek_wahs
07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
http://reginapats.com/News/352/

PATS HUNT FOR NEW COACH

Regina, Saskatchewan—Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker announced today that Head Coach Curtis Hunt is leaving the Pats organization to join the Ottawa Senators of the NHL, as an Assistant Coach. Hunt has been with the Pats organization since May 2004 when he was hired as the Head Coach.

Hunt leaves the Pats organization, ranked second in both games coached (270) and wins (125). In four seasons as bench boss of the Pats, his teams have compiled a winning percentage of .510 (125-120-25). Last season Hunt led the Pats to their first Division title in 10 years, with a record of 44-22-4-2.

The North Battleford, Saskatchewan native has experienced success on the International stage as well as the WHL. In August of 2005, Curtis captured Gold as Canada’s Assistant Coach for the Under-18 Junior World Cup played in Slovakia & the Czech Republic, that team also included Pats captain Logan Pyett. Hunt was also the Assistant Coach with Canada’s World Junior Team at the past two IIHF World Junior Championships, where he teamed up with newly hired Ottawa Senators coach Craig Hartsburg to win gold in Leksand, Sweden in 2007 and Pardubice, Czech Republic in 2008.

“Today is bitter sweet for me personally and for us as an organization. We are thrilled for Curtis and his family to get the opportunity to work in the NHL for a tremendous franchise such as the Ottawa Senators, but we are also disappointed to be losing a great coach, a good friend and quality person.” commented Pats General Manager, Brent Parker. “We wish Curtis nothing but success as he advances to the NHL ranks.”

“I want to thank Russ and Dianne Parker and GM Brent Parker for the opportunity to be a part of this great franchise. I will always cherish my days as a Regina Pat, a team I dreamed of playing for as a young hockey player,” says Hunt. On behalf of my wife Kim and our two sons, we are grateful for the professionalism, the class and integrity we were treated with while here in Regina. I want to thank our hockey staff and players for their commitment and trust over the past four seasons and wish them the best of luck in the seasons ahead. It has been a tremendous honour.”

The search will begin immediately for the successor to Curtis as the Pats Head Coach. “We plan to move quickly in the process and I already have a list of 4-5 names that I have begun to contact. I don’t see it taking longer than a couple weeks.” – commented Pats General Manager Brent Parker.

More information will be forthcoming as the search goes forward.

- 30 -

nivek_wahs
07-12-2008, 12:12 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=69e6f725-246f-46fc-9915-2289d60659e2

Hunt's departure bittersweet

Greg Harder, Leader-Post

REGINA -- It was a little over four years ago when Curtis Hunt entered the VIP room at the Brandt Centre with a concealed hand nervously gripping one of his most-treasured childhood mementos.

Standing under the glare of the media spotlight, the newly introduced head coach of the WHL's Regina Pats eventually dug into his jacket pocket and revealed the mysterious keepsake -- an errant puck he had caught while attending a Pats game at old Exhibition Stadium way back in 1976.

"I still have that puck in my desk," Hunt said Friday after confirming he had signed a three-year contract to become an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators.

The backdrop of Hunt's farewell gathering was reminiscent of his arrival on May 26, 2004, a day in which the Regina product openly expressed how humbled and honoured he felt to return home as the head coach of the oldest major-junior franchise in Canada.

On Friday, Hunt said goodbye, but he did so in the same respectful and dignified manner that he first appeared -- standing in the very same room, behind the same podium, conveying many of the same emotions.

"There's a flood of so many memories," he reflected afterwards. "In the end, I believe I remain very humble at what lies ahead but I feel so tremendously honoured to have an opportunity to be part of this organization. I feel I'm better, not only as a coach, but as a person as well just through our experiences here. It will always remain a special place. I wanted to be a Pat when I was eight and they gave me that opportunity. I'll forever be grateful."

Although Hunt still has one year left on his WHL contract, he's leaving with the team's blessing.

"He's going to work for an ex-Pat, which can never hurt," noted general manager Brent Parker, referring to Senators counterpart Bryan Murray, a former Pats' head coach. "We're extremely happy for Curtis, but on the other side of the coin we know we're losing a very good coach, a quality person and, for myself personally, a good friend. We didn't always agree on everything but we were always able to have good discussions and see each other's side of things. (His presence) allowed me to go out and do my job because I knew things were well looked after at his end. We're very happy for him but we're sad to see him go."

Hunt expressed similar mixed emotions.

"The great thing about this game and the relationships is it's not final," he said. "The way that I'm leaving the program is (with) the same kind of professionalism as when I walked in. For Brent to fly back on his vacation and set this up, I think speaks volumes about what I've tried to communicate here today in terms of how you're treated (by the Pats' organization)."

Hunt's future became the subject of speculation from the moment Craig Hartsburg was hired as Ottawa's new head coach last month. Hunt and Hartsburg have developed a close relationship over the past two years, winning back-to-back gold medals with Canada at the world junior championship.

Asked why he and Hartsburg are such a good match, Hunt responded with two words: "Trust and respect."

"With Craig, he's an up-front guy, he gives you trust, he gives you your responsibilities and we do everything by committee," he explained. "It wasn't his show (with Team Canada). He made it very clear that it's us together. I felt I thrived in that environment. We've had great success together in the short-term tournaments. Now, as he told me, 'I want to put that magic back together here in Ottawa.' I'm excited to have a chance to work with him again."

Hunt interviewed for the job three weeks ago during the NHL entry draft in Ottawa. Until as recently as a few days ago, it looked like the Senators would go in another direction, but Hartsburg said the process kept leading him back to Hunt, someone he knew and respected.

"I started the process with an open mind," Hartsburg said Friday from Ottawa. "We covered a lot of areas and a lot of different people. At the end of the day he was still the guy who was the fit that I was looking for. I didn't know Curtis before the world junior tournament two years ago but when you basically live with a guy and go to war with a guy for a month, you certainly get to know a person's character. Curtis is unbelievable. His knowledge, his work habits, his passion for the game, his philosophy on how he thinks the game should be played, (those) are all things I admire. He's a great fit for our staff and for myself."

Now the real work begins. Hunt and the rest of Ottawa's coaches are slated to hold a conference call on Monday to begin establishing a gameplan. Then, as early as the next day, Hunt will start looking for a house with his wife Kimberley and sons Dustin and Ryan.

"In those quiet moments when I'm driving, I'll just smile and (think), 'Wow, this is happening and it's happening fast,' " offered Hunt. "Then, in the next moment, it's, 'I've gotta get my family settled, I've gotta get looking at some video, I wanna talk to some of the coaches I know in that league, I want to talk to Craig, sit down and get our mandate set for what we want to do next season. I'm kind of eager to meet the players and begin that relationship as well. I'm tickled to be part of it. It's the best league in the world. I just want to do everything I can to give us a chance to win every night and stay as long as I can."

Back in Regina, the search is already underway to replace Hunt, who guided the Pats to three straight winning seasons. While expressing regret that he's leaving with "unfinished business," Hunt also takes pride in the belief that the team isn't far from achieving its championship aspirations.

"The organization is in real good shape and I had a part of that," he added. "I invested a lot of time. That's why I want to make sure before I do leave here that it's seamless for the next person.

"I'll be at the (championship) parade, put it that way."

© Leader-Post 2008

nivek_wahs
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/1c80e43f-6eb3-4724-8464-0291601cdf8f/derkatch082007.jpg
Photo: Roy Antal, Leader-Post

Derkatch interested in coaching job

Greg Harder, Leader-Post

REGINA -- It worked for Kent Austin. Why not Dale Derkatch?

The Regina Pats' legend could be introduced as the WHL club's next head coach within two weeks, following the footsteps of Austin, who quarterbacked the Saskatchewan Roughriders to a Grey Cup title in 1989, then coached the CFL club to a championship 19 years later.

Derkatch, the Pats' all-time leading scorer, is the early frontrunner in the competition to replace Curtis Hunt, who announced Friday that he has signed a three-year contract to become an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators.

The Leader-Post exclusively confirmed Hunt's long-rumoured departure on Thursday, at which point Derkatch had yet to formally speak with Pats GM Brent Parker about the vacancy. Their first unofficial meeting is expected to take place Friday night when Parker travelled to Wilcox for the Sask First summer training camp.

Derkatch is currently the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox, where he also coached the Notre Dame Hounds to a Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League title last season.

The 43-year-old is regarded by many as the greatest player in Pats' history. He set franchise scoring records that may never be touched -- 222 goals, 269 assists and 491 points -- in three-plus WHL seasons before spending the next 13 years as a player and player/coach in Europe.

"Certainly Dale is a person who a lot of people are going to link to this position," admitted Parker. "He has had tremendous success out at Notre Dame and is somebody that I'll be interested to talk to."

The interest is mutual.

"When I first took the job out here in Notre Dame (in 2004), the reason was to be home a little more and around my family," explained Derkatch, who spent the previous five years as a scout for the NHL's Washington Capitals. "As I've got into coaching, I found that I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't know if I would like it, that was the thing, because I had never really coached before that. I played and then I went right into scouting. Yeah, (the Pats' job) is of interest to me, of course."

Derkatch has adapted quickly to his new role, winning the SMAAAHL coach-of-the-year award in 2006-07, the same season in which the Hounds won the prestigious Mac's Tournament in Calgary. Derkatch captured the same title as a player in 1980, also claiming tournament MVP honours. He went on to lead the team to a national championship later that year.

"It is kind of weird how everything has gone," he reflected. "I never imagined I would have been back here at Notre Dame, to be honest with you. The last four years I've been out here, there have been times where there has been some talk about the Pats and so on but it was usually other people doing most of the talking. I had talked to Brent (about coaching in the past) but I felt I had given my word out here (at Notre Dame) and was going to stick with that. I've seen Brent over the last few winters and they've been doing fine. There was no reason to really talk about it because they had a good guy in Curtis. If it ever happened, it would be an honour."

That said, before taking the Pats' reins, Derkatch would have to consider the impact on his family. He has a 12-year-old daughter, Madison, along with two young sons: Dale Jr., four, and Dayce, one.

"I think it's something I would have to talk with my wife (Maria) about," said Derkatch, who was born in Preeceville but grew up in Winnipeg. "I think my wife knows what I'm doing and would understand that's probably part of the path I would take at some time. We talk about it all the time. There have been a couple (previous) opportunities in the Western league. They were not good fits. Family-wise, they weren't in the right places. I don't see why Regina wouldn't be."

© Leader-Post 2008

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=3b01b590-6ace-486b-b55a-31b9f5a8c3e5

nivek_wahs
07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=6104369e-703a-492e-802a-3aef8e198885

Derkatch a good match for Eberle

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post

REGINA -- Jordan Eberle would like his new coach to be his former coach.

Dale Derkatch -- who coached Eberle for one season with the bantam Notre Dame Hounds -- is the front-runner to succeed Curtis Hunt as the Regina Pats' bench boss. Eberle, who had 42 goals for the Pats last season, hopes that the coaching situation unfolds as anticipated.

"I'd love to have him as a coach again, but obviously stuff happens,'' Eberle said Friday after Hunt announced that he was leaving to become an assistant coach with the NHL's Ottawa Senators.

"If that doesn't happen, it doesn't really matter. We're going to have a good team again next year, too. We're going to have a coach who is going to hopefully bring us some wins in the playoffs.''

The 2007-08 Pats won 44 games and the East Division's regular-season title in Hunt's fourth and final year with Regina. The 2008 playoffs were not as successful, as the Pats lamented first-round elimination at the hands of the Swift Current Broncos.

Eberle feels that Hunt's legacy in Regina will not be solely defined by wins and losses.

"He taught you so much about systems,'' Eberle said. "He was so organized all the time. Every time we came to the rink, everything was planned. He helped a lot with the systems, but he taught you so many little things, even off the ice with the way to present yourself. I think that has a lot to do with the Pats organization as well.''

Given those varied contributions, Eberle extends his best wishes to Hunt.

"It's a tough loss when you lose Curtis Hunt,'' he said. "He's such a good coach, but it's good for him to move on. I know it's probably one of his dreams to coach in the NHL. Now that he's got it, it's pretty cool.

"The possibility of Dale coming in is pretty neat, too. I learned a lot from him. He was such a tremendous player when he played.''

The 5-foot-5 Derkatch spent three full seasons and the tail-end of the 1984-85 campaign with the Pats, amassing 491 points -- including 222 goals -- in 204 games.

He is now the director of hockey development at Athol Murray College of Notre Dame in Wilcox. This past season, he coached the Hounds to the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League championship.

Eberle is one of the Pats' purest scorers since the glory days of Derkatch, who coached Eberle when the latter was 14.

"I wasn't a very big guy at the time, and I don't think he has ever played big, either,'' Eberle said. "We were a similar size at the time and he taught me a lot, like how to get away from bigger guys. The biggest thing that I took from him was the intensity that he had. Even as a coach, I'll bet you that at times he had more intensity than the players. He was an unreal guy to be around, too.''

The same description applies to Hunt, according to Pats right-winger Brett Leffler.

"He's a players' coach,'' Leffler said. "Me and him had a pretty good relationship throughout the three years that I had him as my coach. He lets you know when you're struggling and praises you when you do well, so he's a real players' coach. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

"I'm pretty happy for him. He obviously deserves it. I'm sure he's going to do well in Ottawa and all the best of luck to him.''

© Leader-Post 2008

nivek_wahs
07-12-2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/reginapats/story.html?id=06aa9eab-d6c3-4161-9c53-6dce368f88dc

Mayer proud of friend's success

Rob Vanstone, Leader-Post

REGINA -- The Regina Pats' trainer has been trained to expect the presence of Curtis Hunt.

Pats athletic therapist Greg Mayer worked closely with Hunt for seven-plus seasons an association that ended Friday when the WHL team confirmed that it is in the hunt for a new head coach.

Hunt has resigned to accept an assistant-coaching position with the NHL's Ottawa Senators. He had been the Pats' bench boss for four seasons after spending three years, plus the tail end of the 2000-01 campaign, with the Moose Jaw Warriors. Mayer worked with Hunt in both centres.

"I consider Curtis one of my best friends,'' Mayer said Friday at the Brandt Centre. "You're thrilled for the guy. You're proud of him.

"It's not unexpected. As soon as I heard Craig Hartsburg was hired in Ottawa, the first thing I said to my wife was, 'Curtis is going to be going,' just because of the understanding of their relationship as coaches and the job he has done and how well-respected he is.''

Hartsburg was named the Senators' head coach in June, when speculation began to percolate that he would soon be joined by Hunt. Hartsburg and Hunt coached together with the Canadian team that won world junior hockey championship gold medals in 2007 and 2008. Hunt was an assistant to Hartsburg with the world junior squad.

"Over the years, I've considered Curtis more of a friend than a colleague,'' said Mayer, who accompanied Hunt to Regina in 2004 after seven years as the trainer with the arch-rival Warriors. "He has treated me with the utmost respect and he has taught me so much. I sat behind him on the bus for a lot of miles and a lot of good times. I'm definitely going to miss him.

"From a selfish thing, I hate change. Trainers tend to get stuck in our old ways. I feel blessed. Most guys in my position don't get to work with a guy for that long.''

What are the Senators getting in Hunt?

"Number 1, there's his passion,'' Mayer said. "In this game, you've got to have passion for the game and passion for life. As a coach and also as a person, Curtis has been an upstanding and honest guy. He works hard. He's loyal.

"A player wants to know that a coach is going to make you a better player. How can they help you develop into a better hockey player? Curtis has got that passion and that loyalty. He'll do whatever he can within his own limits to do that.''

Hunt will also push the limits when necessary.

"One of the things that I learned from Curtis is that, even as a head coach, he was never too vain,'' Mayer said. "He was always humble enough to say to me in my position, 'What do you think about this?' I know he talked to (University of Regina Rams head coach) Frank McCrystal his first year (in Moose Jaw) and picked his brain.

"Curtis is willing to go outside the box and work hard. There were things I learned from him that I try to apply to my position. He's well-respected by everybody. You go back to our Moose Jaw days. When you go back there, even though he's with the Pats, he's still well-respected. As a player, that's what you look for as a coach.''

And as a friend.

"Over so many days in seven years, I'd say maybe there was once or twice in that time that we might have butted heads over something,'' Mayer said. "It was a pretty good ride, I'd say.''

© Leader-Post 2008