PDA

View Full Version : Wudrick Ready For NHL Draft Day

Scout
06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Wudrick ready for NHL Entry Draft day

The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos forward Geordie Wudrick will be in Ottawa on Friday for the National Hockey League's Entry Draft.

Just a few weeks ago Wudrick was one 25 WHL players who were among 107 of the top 2008 draft-eligible players in the world in Toronto last week for the National Hockey League's Draft Combine.

The event put players through a vigorous round of physical, medical and psychological tests that could determine where they are chosen when the teams convene in Ottawa on June 20-21.

Wudrick thought he fared well during the physical testing.

"With regards to the physical testing I thought I did pretty good there. I did good on all the natural athletics stuff like the VO2 max testing and the windgate test on the bikes that test your anaerobic and aerobic capacity. I thought I did pretty good on all the jumping exercises, my only weakness was on the upper body stuff like the bench press."

Wudrick said the bike tests are every bit as grueling as they appear on television.

"There are some guys throwing up and some guys passing out afterwards. It is kind of funny right when you go in there you see these bikes bolted down to the ground on wood planks and they are duct taping your feet onto the bike so you don't fall out so they are pretty crazy."

The 6'2 left winger had a full plate of interviews while at the combine.

"I talked to 24 teams and I thought the interviews went pretty well. There are some that went better then others and I would say there are about five that went really well that I kind of have a good idea that might draft me."

Wudrick explained the line of questioning he endured.

"Mostly all the teams ask the basic things about your family, how big you are, how many interviews you have there, and your strengths and weaknesses. Some of the different ones were, 'what is leadership to you?' You would try and explain leadership that it is not necessarily one guy but that it is a group of guys that work well together and are good examples for other guys on the team and guys that other players can look to for guidance and that they look up to on the ice as well."

Wudrick is uncertain when his name will be called.

"To tell you truth all of the different rankings have me all over the place right now. I know Central Scouting has me about 71st among North Americans. Hockey News and ISS rating all have me about 50th overall. I am thinking that it is so wide open that I could go anywhere from possibly late first round to third of fourth but who knows."

Wudrick won't have to wait for a phone call or click refresh on his computer hundreds of times, he will be in Ottawa for the draft on June 20th.

"It is going to be a pretty exiting time and I am trying not to get too stressed out about whether I go first, second, third or fourth round it is just going to be an exiting time. I am just going to be there just in case any teams want to do any last minute interviews just for convenience purposes that way."

NHL draft aside, Wudrick is busy preparing for next season.

"I am living here in North Vancouver by myself right now and working out right in downtown Vancouver with a couple of trainers that I have been working with over the past couple of summers. Just working on things that obviously I need to get better at like upper body strength and getting faster. I am working on all my skills on-ice a couple of times a week as well."

Wudrick nearly doubled his point production during his 17-year-old season with 20 goals and 24 assists compared to 13 goals and 11 assists as a 16-year-old. Perhaps the most impressive statistical improvement was his plus 10 rating compared to a minus 13 rating the previous season.

Wudrick also elevated his production in the post-season with five goals and two assists in 12 playoff games.

Wudrick says that although the Broncos roster is uncertain with the status of a number overage players he hopes to contribute even more next season.

"Hopefully I can contribute a little bit more offensively and possibly take on more of a role leadership-wise."

"I am thinking that it is so wide open that I could go anywhere from possibly late first round to third of fourth, but who knows"

Scout