PDA

View Full Version : Import Draft

nivek_wahs
06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/News/337/

2008 CHL IMPORT DRAFT

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Annual CHL Import Draft is slated to take place Thursday, June 26th beginning at 9:00am (est) via conference call with the CHL head office in Toronto. The Pats are scheduled to make their pick, 27th overall, at around 12:00pm local time. The Pats acquired the 27th overall pick from the Everett Silvertips, who will get the Pats 1st round Import selection in 2009.

The Pats have had mixed results in the CHL Import Draft over the past couple of years. In 2005, the Pats selected Czech sniper Petr Kalus 3rd overall in the draft. Kalus went on to lead the Pats during the 2005-06 season with 36 goals, and added 22 assists for 58 points. In 2006 the Pats selected Niko Snellman with the 41st overall selection in the draft. Snellman struggled with injuries throughout the 2006-07 season, and managed 5 goals and 5 assists for 10 points in 32 games.Last year, the Pats selected Czech forward Rudolf Cerveny with the 37th overall selection in the draft. Cerveny led all Pats rookies in scoring last season with 10 goals and 9 assists for 19 points in 61 games.

…………………..

2008-09 Regina Pats season tickets are currently on sale at the Pats Office, located at the west end of the Brandt Centre. Call 522-PATS to reserve your seat for the upcoming season of Regina Pats hockey.

Season Ticket Prices
Adult - $420
Senior - $315
Student/Disabled - $147

- 30-

nivek_wahs
06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Pats Import Picks - 1990's.....

37th overall: Pavel Kriz, Czech Republic

16th overall: Stanislav Shumakov, Russia

34th overall: Dmitri Nabokov, Russia
65th overall: Alexei Morozov, Russia

38th overall: Alexandre Fomitchev, Russia
48th overall: Pavel Beranek, Czech Republic

46th overall: Radek Duda, Czech Republic
71st overall: Karel Mosovsky, Czech Republic

12th overall: Filip Novak, Czech Republic

nivek_wahs
06-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Pats Import Picks - 2000's.....

No pick

42nd overall: Matej Trojovsky, Czech Republic

24th overall: Petr Dvorak, Czech Republic

32nd overall: Ivo Kratena, Czech Republic
64th overall: Kamil Vavra, Czech Republic

41st overall: Martin Hanzal, Czech Republic
57th overall: Jan Zapletal, Czech Republic

3rd overall: Petr Kalus, Czech Republic
59th overall: Anze Kopitar, Slovenia

41st overall: Niko Snellman, Finland

37th overall: Rudolf Cerveny, Czech Republic
70th overall: Marco Insam, Italy

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I dont see us getting the high profile guys like Filatov or Panik, so if I could choose, I'd like to see us pick up an offensive minded Swedish forward. This year has been in decline for Czechs and Slovaks, and Russians are too much of a wildcard. And you never know with Finns (cough SNELLMAN cough)

Maybe a Danish forward, or even a german guy. It doesnt really matter what nationality as long as they can play, but if we are going by the usual type of player a country churns out, I would prefer a Swede right now.

Would be good to find one that can step in right now and contribute, seeing as we dont have many offensive weapons returning, that being the main reason as to why we need to draft a forward.

nivek_wahs
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM
I dont see us getting the high profile guys like Filatov or Panik, so if I could choose, I'd like to see us pick up an offensive minded Swedish forward. This year has been in decline for Czechs and Slovaks, and Russians are too much of a wildcard. And you never know with Finns (cough SNELLMAN cough) :D ... True.

Maybe a Danish forward, or even a german guy. It doesnt really matter what nationality as long as they can play, but if we are going by the usual type of player a country churns out, I would prefer a Swede right now.

Would be good to find one that can step in right now and contribute, seeing as we dont have many offensive weapons returning, that being the main reason as to why we need to draft a forward.I don't really have a preference as to where the player is from, I just want a player that can step in and score some goals for the Pats.

nivek_wahs
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Pats' brass mixes business with pleasure in draft precursor (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=66add68e-6944-42ae-b20b-822e6b7e62cb)

Pats' brass mixes business with pleasure in draft precursor

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Regina Pats' braintrust mixed a little business with pleasure at the NHL entry draft.

General manager Brent Parker, director of scouting Todd Ripplinger and head coach Curtis Hunt enjoyed a working vacation in Ottawa over the weekend, using the visit to do some legwork for Thursday's CHL import draft.

"It's a social event in a lot of ways from a junior team's standpoint because the whole hockey industry is there," said Parker. "You're talking to people and getting an opportunity to ask questions about guys you have on your list (of European prospects). And you get some new names along the way too."

Regina will pick 27th out of 60 CHL teams after swapping first-round positions with the Everett Silvertips, who acquired Regina's top choice in next year's draft. The Pats then shipped their original pick this year (No. 51) to the Vancouver Giants for a first-round selection in 2009, replacing the pick they sent to Everett.

Although Regina improved its odds by moving up 24 spots, there are no guarantees of landing an impact player from across the pond. Besides the requisite challenges in acclimating them to North America, there are also politics involved in drafting top-rated players, some of whom carry huge pricetags and will only deal with certain teams.

"Any draft in some respect is a bit of a crapshoot," noted Parker. "But this one is such a different animal because of all the different dynamics that come into it from the money that's paid by some franchises and the side deals. We're talking to agents and weeding out the ones who from a financial standpoint are out of the scope of what the CHL allows. Right now we've probably got 15 real solid names. We've got another 30 probably that we're still piecing together. As long as we've got 27 good names come Thursday, I'll feel very comfortable."

The Pats have done as much of their own research as possible, identifying players who've visited North America for events like the Mac's midget tournament and the world under-17s. However, most of the scouting is done through second-hand information from NHL teams and other contacts. For example, ex-Pat Karel Mosovsky, now a player agent in the Czech Republic, recommended Rudolf Cerveny to the team last year. With Cerveny expected to be back next season, the Pats will only draft one player on Thursday to fill out their two-man import quota.

"Everybody has their contacts that they work a little closer with," said Parker. "We get reports on these guys from between six and eight different NHL teams. We do the homework we can and cross-reference what we can. It's a process. And it has been a little bit different this year because I haven't been as active the last month (while undergoing cancer treatment). Curtis and Todd have done a lot of the legwork. I certainly have all the faith in them on the names they've been able to dig up. Between the three of us we'll put a good list together."

One of Regina's biggest needs is for an offensive-minded forward to provide support for Jordan Eberle. That said, the loss of defenceman Logan Pyett to the pro ranks also leaves the team without its top power-play quarterback.

"We'd like to get a top-six forward if we could but we want to get an impact guy (regardless of position)," added Parker. "We've done that both ways. We've done it with a guy like Fil Novak on the back end and we've done it with a guy like Dmitri Nabokov up front. We've got more names that are forwards than defencemen but that doesn't necessarily mean we will end up taking a forward. If we've got the right defenceman, we'll look that way too."

NOTE: Pats RW Garrett Mitchell, a native of Regina, has been invited to the selection camp for the under-18 team that will represent Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament (Aug. 12-16 in Slovakia and the Czech Republic). Also on the 40-player list is Davidson product Brayden McNabb, a defenceman with the Kootenay Ice. The camp runs Aug. 1-6 in Calgary.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 09:30 AM
From Roddy's blog... rodpedersen.com

There's a huge place in my heart for the Regina Pats and the 'Dub. That's why I'm giving them some pub on the blog on this steamy June day.

The Pats pick 27th overall in today's CHL European Draft. I chatted with Pats G.M. Brent Parker about it, and a few other things...

PARKER: We have an idea of who we'd like to take. 27th is a decent pick, we were able to move up and that'll help us out. It's such an intriguing animal because so many things come into play, but we've got some real good names. We're comfortable with that group, but there's a lot that goes into it once the players get over here, and whether or not they fit.

PEDERSEN: Former Pats player Karel Mosovky is working as an agent, and helping you out on this?

PARKER: Karel's one of the guys we've talked to. It's nice to have someone who played here, and has fond memories from his time. Denis Tolpeko's agent over in Russia forwarded some names because Denny has nothing but good things to say about his time here. It makes you feel good that kids who've left your program want to put something back into your team.

PEDERSEN: You must've been happy with how the NHL Draft went for your team?

PARKER: It was great. Great for the organization and we couldn't be happier for those three kids (Teubert, Eberle and Delehay). They're all really neat young guys who've worked hard for this opportunity. They certainly haven't got full heads by any stretch and they've maintained a real level approach to it all. They know this is just an opportunity, and there's lots of hard work ahead.

PEDERSEN: And Cliffy Mapes tells me sponsorships are humming and season tickets are going fast. Things are setting up for a great year?

PARKER: It really is. With the economy in the province right now, it's helping things. The Riders' success breeds success in the other franchises in town. We had a good year, a record year attendance-wise, we're going to beat our season ticket base of last year which was an all-time high. I think people enjoy what they see on the ice, our product, the Western Hockey League, and they enjoy our young players. It's shaping up to be a great year, and it's not that far away. I believe we're seven weeks away from training camp..

Like I said, the Pats are next to my heart. I think I'm going to get my cousin Mark, who owns a tattoo parlour in Cranbrook, B.C., to tattoo a Pats logo just above my right ankle. Graham Tuer has one on his behind. He's bragged about it for years.

Best tattoo I ever saw was former Pats goalie and scout Pat Ansell, who had a Pats logo tattooed over his heart. Beautiful.

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Pats pick Slovakian LW Tomas Hricina

Born: May 31, 1990
2007-08 Team: Kosice Jr. Slovakia
Home: Slovakia
Pos: LW
Ht: 6'2
Wt: 198
NHL Eligible: 2009

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=93041

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6739&hubname=nhl

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
http://reginapats.com/News/344/

PATS SELECT TOMAS HRICINA 27th OVERALL

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats have made their 1st round draft pick in the 2008 CHL Import Draft, selecting left winger Tomas Hricina with the 27th overall selection.

Tomas Hricina (6’2”, 198lbs), a native of Slovakia, spent this past season with the Kosice Jr Team. In 57 games Hricina collected 28 goals and 22 assists for 50 points and also had 62 penalty minutes.

"Hricina was one of the Slovaks best players at the recent World Under-18 Championship in Kazan, Russia. He enjoyed a fine regular season leading his Kosice Jr. Team in goals with 28 goals in just 57 games. Good Size player with a nice touch around the net. Has long legs, but his strides are short and intensive. Has long reach-he is a strong penalty killer. His slapshot is very hard and accurate. Logged a lot of ice time. Reliable in the d-zone. – Reported by the ISS.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, Im not going to act like I am surprised we drafted yet another Czechoslovakian player, but I guess he deserves a chance to prove his worth.

Now, I dont like the fact that he is slow, something we dont need more of, but at least we got a goalscorer. Maybe he could slip into the second line and take the place of the departed JD Watt, and maybe him and Cerveny mesh into a playmaker-scorer combo, who knows?

But wait a minute....hmm...a slowish goalscorer with decent size and good skill around the net....sounds familiar. Maybe because we already have two players like that in Macangus and Depape. Perhaps this confirms that one of them, or both are out of here.

But I digress. All in all, I guess Im happy with the pick, and a bit anxious to see what he can do, just like I am with all the new euros that come through here. Too bad we arent even using our second pick to pick a guy like Joonas Rask as a possibility if he is still on the board. The kid is a great player and would be a steal.

nivek_wahs
06-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Interesting pick at 100....

Niagara IceDogs OHL Marco Insam
June 5, 1989 Milano Vipers/Italy Italy RW 6 02 205 2009

nivek_wahs
06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=64a9a582-2174-4fa6-9a14-0aa22fee52b3