PDA

View Full Version : Trade

Big Torro
06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
From the Bruins site...

Bruins Acquire Jesse Craige from Lethbridge Hurricanes

June 24th, 2008

The Chilliwack Bruins have today acquired 19 year old defenseman Jesse Craige from the Lethbridge Hurricanes. The Hurricanes receive 19 year old forward Cody Smuk as well as the Bruins 3rd round Bantam draft pick and the Bruins return an 8th round draft pick to the Hurricanes.

Craige, who hails from Edmonton, AB., has played in 116 regular season WHL games for the ‘Canes, and has scored 18 goals and 34 assists. Craige was also an integral part of the Hurricanes playoff run to the Eastern Conference Championship, appearing in 17 games and collecting one goal and 3 assists.

“We are very pleased to have acquired Jesse Craige,” comments Bruins General Manager Darrell May. “With the departure of Nick Holden on our back end we felt we needed another experienced offensive defenseman. Jesse is a skilled defenseman who has extensive power play experience in the league. He is an excellent skater who moves the puck up the ice extremely well. I think he will fit in very well”

May on the departure of Cody Smuk: “It was very difficult to trade Cody. He was an original Bruin and brought a lot to our hockey club from day one. The Chilliwack Bruins wish only the best for Cody Smuk in the future.”

Posted on Jun 24, 2008, 6:40 PM

grainbear
06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
We see once again that a move is made that I think will help our team. Smuk is a right winger whose job in Chiliwak was to work the corners and get the puck to their offensive players as well as a checker. the gravy in this trade was getting Chilliwack 3 rd round pick this year as well as the return of our 8 th round which i believe we gave up for Stevens. Looks like the d will be in my opinion, Wright and Versteeg as 88,s Sbisa 90, Yadlowski, Sutherland both 91 and Therieau 92 and then alexiuk, stevens, ross , goerzen, ryckman baeker, going for 7 th d spot. The only exception would be if we have Castro 92 show up from the states.Would love to see that. Still expect a trade to occur with our first round import draft pick on Thursday and

Bruins_Booster
06-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Anyone care to comment on what we're receiving with Jesse Craige?

Bocephus
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
This really angers me. What is the point of giving up Craige for what amounts to nothing. We saw this year how poor depth on defence hurt us and yet we give up a top 4 guy. The guy we get in return is -50 in his two years in the dub. What is he gonna contribute to a championship team. Answer:Nothing!
I think I hear Chilliwack thanking us for this gift. What a joke.
Therieu and Sutherland better be contributors immediately and Yadlowski better be better than the guy who was a healthy scratch for many playoff games. Thank God it looks like Ben Wright is coming back.

hurricaneflag7
06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Same thing I said on the Bruins page......Very hard for us to give up Jesse....he was a great player all through the season and in the playoffs......i just hope that Smuk and the two draft picks do really good to make up for the great player we lost....if that will happen then the trade will be a fairly good one.

hurricaneflag7
06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
This really angers me. What is the point of giving up Craige for what amounts to nothing. We saw this year how poor depth on defence hurt us and yet we give up a top 4 guy. The guy we get in return is -50 in his two years in the dub. What is he gonna contribute to a championship team. Answer:Nothing!
I think I hear Chilliwack thanking us for this gift. What a joke.
Therieu and Sutherland better be contributors immediately and Yadlowski better be better than the guy who was a healthy scratch for many playoff games. Thank God it looks like Ben Wright is coming back.

I don't blame you for being angry......lets just hope that Smuk and the draft picks make up for what Jesse did and A little more.

Bocephus
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't blame you for being angry......lets just hope that Smuk and the draft picks make up for what Jesse did and A little more.

How does Smuk even make our forwards roster?
We really traded Craige for low draft picks. A serious contributor for draft picks. grrrrr

O&C
06-25-2008, 03:24 PM
No need to jump off the wagon before we even see the guy play. Yes Craig was good for us but if I remember correctly we played a majority of the playoffs with him on the bench do to injury and things were fine!
Staisiak wasnt thinking point getter with this trade, its a depth trade. Sure we are giving up a good d-man, but with Wutchterl leaving the club, a gritty player was a critical pick up. Players like
Boychuk and Scievior need the puck before they start getting goals and a guy like Smuk could be the answer. And no one should ever complain when getting draft picks in a deal.
Our defense is still solid and is only going to get better as the year goes on. Guys like Yadlowski will need to step it up but they DO have some experience now unlike in the past and that could be critical going into the season and further on into the playoffs.

In Roy I Trust :thumb:

Bocephus
06-25-2008, 03:56 PM
No need to jump off the wagon before we even see the guy play. Yes Craig was good for us but if I remember correctly we played a majority of the playoffs with him on the bench do to injury and things were fine!
Staisiak wasnt thinking point getter with this trade, its a depth trade. Sure we are giving up a good d-man, but with Wutchterl leaving the club, a gritty player was a critical pick up. Players like
Boychuk and Scievior need the puck before they start getting goals and a guy like Smuk could be the answer. And no one should ever complain when getting draft picks in a deal.
Our defense is still solid and is only going to get better as the year goes on. Guys like Yadlowski will need to step it up but they DO have some experience now unlike in the past and that could be critical going into the season and further on into the playoffs.

A Roy Boy! vc1tt
I need my own WHL franchise! ;)

grainbear
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I recall a trade with Yellowhorn that none of us seemed to like at one time. These young d men will make a difference. Simply because they are bigger , things like strength and a longer reach for d-men make a difference. Jesse was a good d-man don't get me wrong . All the players mentioned all came in for the their 5 games last year when we had injuries and as youngsters fit in with very little time to learn our systems.The only exception to this was Ross but if you have seen him playing locally he is fine as well. If Smuk brings half of what Wuchterl brought to our team then we are even without looking at the draft picks.

Bocephus
06-25-2008, 06:18 PM
If Smuk brings half of what Wuchterl brought to our team then we are even without looking at the draft picks.

HUH?
I will be back when I stop laughing! or before the season starts whichever comes first! :wave:

SectionNDeserter
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Isn't Smuk the guy (or one of them) that one-punched Kyle Beach in a fight?

Coyote14
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes he was.

Bruins_Booster
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM

You are correct SectionNDeserter....and whatta game it was!

You guys are getting a quality "team player" who checks hard, works hard shift in and shift out and never loses heart. He looks small, but is one hell of a stocky player and plays big/hits big against the boards.

He's likely not going to net you 20 or 30 goals a year, but everytime he hit the ice, you knew he was out there. He played a role on our checking line and always answers the bell if needed. In the first game against Prince George this year, he squared up against I think it was Patrik Magnusson (who is 6'8" to Smuk's 5'11").

If he plays with the same heart and intensity that he played with here, you guys won't be disappointed.

As for him being a -50 over two seasons, he's been on an expansion team that's had expansion growing pains and I don't think we've seen everything that Smuk can bring to a team that's a top 10 team.

O&C
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM

That's all you needed to say to convince me... Kyle Beach is an embarrassment to this league...

Should be interesting to see what Roy does next. Expect to see some more trade action over the 2 weeks.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Anyone care to comment on what we're receiving with Jesse Craige?
A possible number one power play defenceman. Not very big but moblie and smart. He had a break out season in 06-07 and was improving on that this year until he got hurt. Was never the same player after he came back from injury so I am not sure which Jesse Craig will show up. Not sure what his injury was but he certainely seemed much less of a player the last half of last year. If he plays back to the form he had before his injury and gets number one PP time, he could get 60 to 70 points.

hurricaneflag7
06-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Some very Good points you got in there :thumb: ....lets go Hurricanes!!!!!

hurricaneflag7
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM

You guys are getting a quality "team player" who checks hard, works hard shift in and shift out and never loses heart. He looks small, but is one hell of a stocky player and plays big/hits big against the boards.

He's likely not going to net you 20 or 30 goals a year, but everytime he hit the ice, you knew he was out there. He played a role on our checking line and always answers the bell if needed. In the first game against Prince George this year, he squared up against I think it was Patrik Magnusson (who is 6'8" to Smuk's 5'11").

If he plays with the same heart and intensity that he played with here, you guys won't be disappointed.

As for him being a -50 over two seasons, he's been on an expansion team that's had expansion growing pains and I don't think we've seen everything that Smuk can bring to a team that's a top 10 team.

Sounds like Mike Wutchterl to me....and hopefully he turns out to be some like him and plays like him. clrkthj

Bruins_Booster
06-27-2008, 05:40 PM
A possible number one power play defenceman. Not very big but moblie and smart. He had a break out season in 06-07 and was improving on that this year until he got hurt. Was never the same player after he came back from injury so I am not sure which Jesse Craig will show up. Not sure what his injury was but he certainely seemed much less of a player the last half of last year. If he plays back to the form he had before his injury and gets number one PP time, he could get 60 to 70 points.

Thanks for giving a glimpse into what could be with Craig. Hopefully Smuk "brings it" for you guys and helps to continue last year's success.

rednex50
06-27-2008, 10:21 PM

It was actually Van Duynhoven that he took on, after Vandy clobbered Santorelli from behind with his arms up after he scored on Cyr...and he didn't lose the fight.

If you ask Smuk to do any job on your club, he can and will do it. Ultimate teammate, great PK guy, lots of hussle, hits to hurt and if given the chance, can pot a few as well. He was my wife's favorite player...so we will surely miss him.

You got one hell of a leader, on and off the ice...just make sure that you keep us up to date with how he's doing there.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
06-28-2008, 01:01 PM
We see once again that a move is made that I think will help our team. Smuk is a right winger whose job in Chiliwak was to work the corners and get the puck to their offensive players as well as a checker. the gravy in this trade was getting Chilliwack 3 rd round pick this year as well as the return of our 8 th round which i believe we gave up for Stevens. Looks like the d will be in my opinion, Wright and Versteeg as 88,s Sbisa 90, Yadlowski, Sutherland both 91 and Therieau 92 and then alexiuk, stevens, ross , goerzen, ryckman baeker, going for 7 th d spot. The only exception would be if we have Castro 92 show up from the states.Would love to see that. Still expect a trade to occur with our first round import draft pick on Thursday and

Some will say a 3rd and 8th pick...............so what. Remember we got Boychuk with a 5th and Orfino I think with a 10th pick so you can never have enuff draft picks. Plus it sounds like this new guy is really gritty and we need some of them to. Roy must know that Sutherland or Therieau or some one else is ready and needs ice time.

hurricaneflag7
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Some will say a 3rd and 8th pick...............so what. Remember we got Boychuk with a 5th and Orfino I think with a 10th pick so you can never have enuff draft picks. Plus it sounds like this new guy is really gritty and we need some of them to. Roy must know that Sutherland or Therieau or some one else is ready and needs ice time.

Personally I think we need to sit back a wait and see what happens......i'm sure Roy noise a little more about those guys than we do......maybe they will be good maybe they will be average but we need to sit back a relax.....and wait until the season starts to know. clrkthj

Cali
07-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Word is Cody Castro will be in camp. At 6ft 3in and 210 lbs he is a very big 92. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the Canes plans.

Bocephus
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Who is Cody Castro?

canes77
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
He is a '92 d-man from I believe Arizona...and given his size, if he can move the puck and skate well, he'll be on the club this fall or next for sure.

Minor hockey teams from Cali regularly dominate at Nationals in the USA, so these Southwest players shouldn't be under-estimated. Remember Spokane's young star Mitch Wahl is from Cali and Moose Jaw went to the WHL finals 2 yrs ago with a goalie from LA.

As for Castro, he is a d-man with a right handed shot...perhaps a reason why Craige was let go? Who knows?

grainbear
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Hand out the cigars, if he is in camp, I for one would be pleased. This is from what I have heard a kid that has a future in the WHL. Really creates a log jam at our d postion . With Sutherland, Theriau, Stevens, Ross, Baecker , Ryckman, Castro, Goertzen with returning d-men Versteeg, Sbisa, Alexiuk, Macdonald, Yadlowski, Wright going for 7 postions, What a battle and what a tough decision. What is the source on Castro info ? Any wonder why we don,t need a rookie camp like some of the other teams,The other interesting situation is with the moves at Tampa Bay I think this puts Mitch at the best playing in the AHL and I am not sure whether the AHL team will not want him back in junior to work on his defensive side of the game. Wish him all the best but he will need an a great camp to not come back to Junior. Our gm already indicated that if that happens we might see him traded. Less then 2 months to camp.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hand out the cigars, if he is in camp, I for one would be pleased. This is from what I have heard a kid that has a future in the WHL. Really creates a log jam at our d postion . With Sutherland, Theriau, Stevens, Ross, Baecker , Ryckman, Castro, Goertzen with returning d-men Versteeg, Sbisa, Alexiuk, Macdonald, Yadlowski, Wright going for 7 postions, What a battle and what a tough decision. What is the source on Castro info ? Any wonder why we don,t need a rookie camp like some of the other teams,The other interesting situation is with the moves at Tampa Bay I think this puts Mitch at the best playing in the AHL and I am not sure whether the AHL team will not want him back in junior to work on his defensive side of the game. Wish him all the best but he will need an a great camp to not come back to Junior. Our gm already indicated that if that happens we might see him traded. Less then 2 months to camp.
Lot of bodies but can one or two step up to play at a top notch level. Remember we are supposed to be going for it all this year. Out of all those names only two are top notch A-1 defenceman. Quantity is a nice starting position cause we could maybe trade 2 average for 1 really good d-man. If Alexiuk and McDonald are in our top 6 we will need help. I said it before on here, but we will have a top 18 19 or 20 year old on the team who is not on this list, if we are going for it! A 20 year old is most likely as they come cheaper than top 18 or 19 year olds. Only problem is if Versteeg stays, another 20 yr old will give us 3 20 yr old D-men.
As for Fadden, I think he will still make Tampa's AHL team. Remember Tampa was brutal last year and so was their farm team. I would luv to see him back even it is just to trade for that dominant d-man we "are going to get".

tyeryan9
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
The current D core is not good enough to win a championship - no question. It will be very interesting to see what happens. It's exciting to have these young guys for the future, but if next year is the year and it has to be then they need to bring at least 1 impact D-man still.

TR

grainbear
07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Look at the previous season stats. Not many offensive d-men available. Some of you are knocking Wright but he was 4 th amongst 1988 scoring for this years 20 year old d-men. Only ones higher are Ty Wishart, Logan Pyett, and Victor Bartley. Even Alznar from Calgary was in 5 th place. Please give us some names of older d-men who can make a difference. . Sorry but this is a good as it gets remember we have maximum of approx 7 d-men to a team for 134 d-men of all age groups and last years rosters had 30 1988 d-men. This group trying out with the Canes to gain a spot will be fine. Otherwise pray tell me what needs to be done ?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
The current D core is not good enough to win a championship - no question. It will be very interesting to see what happens. It's exciting to have these young guys for the future, but if next year is the year and it has to be then they need to bring at least 1 impact D-man still.

TR

Right on target.