PDA

View Full Version : CHL Prospects

Scout
06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
The Player's Perspective

As a young hockey player, the last year could not have possibly gone better for Mitch Wahl.

From playing on one of the top Major Junior teams in the CHL, to winning major championships, to hearing his name called on draft day, the 18-year-old Seal Beach, CA, product’s last 12 months have been full of memorable highlights.

In his second full season in the WHL, Wahl was a key player on a very strong Spokane Chiefs team that enjoyed their best regular season in franchise history after posting a 50-15-1-6 record during the 2007-08 season. The 6’0”, 183-lb center, who participated in the 2008 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects game, notched 20 goals and 73 points in 67 games, and partnered with Carolina Hurricanes’ prospect Drayson Bowman and veteran team captain Chris Bruton to form one of the WHL’s most dangerous lines.

Wahl then added six goals and 14 points in 21 post-season contests to help the Chiefs win the 2008 WHL Championship, and then another two goals and six points in four games as the Chiefs won the 2008 MasterCard Memorial Cup championship in Kitchener, ON.

An already outstanding year was made even better for Wahl when he was chosen in the second round (48th overall) by the Calgary Flames at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa, ON.

Up next for the skilled pivot, an opportunity to participate at the Flames’ rookie camp in July then the chance to attend Team USA’s National Junior team development camp in August.

Mitch Wahl’s Perspective…
On being drafted by the Calgary Flames…
“I’m really excited about it. Going to a Canadian team, you can’t ask for much more for a hockey player. Just the whole atmosphere and environment there is going to be pretty unreal. They’ve got great fans, and I’m looking forward to having the chance to go there. I had a good interview with them at the combine, and I talked with them a bit later on, so I thought I may have a chance with them.”

On possibly being a teammate of Jarome Iginla…
“That was one of the first things I thought about when I got picked by (the Flames). Jarome Iginla is one of my favorite NHL players, one of the best in the world, and I’ll be looking forward to meeting him. Iginla and Dion Phaneuf are two superstars who came from the WHL, so I think we’ll have something in common to talk about.”

On his memorable season with the Chiefs…
“It’s been unbelievable. The whole ride has been so much fun. We had a great team coming into the season, and we knew we could do something good this year. We really came together, though, in the playoffs and played our best hockey. When we won that series versus Tri-City, we knew we could go all the way. Getting to go to the Memorial Cup was a great experience, and we pulled together to win it. Even how the NHL draft came together and how it all worked out was really great. I couldn’t be happier with how things went this year.”

On attending Team USA’s National Junior team development camp…
“It will be really exciting. Going with Drayson Bowman and Tyler Johnson will make it better. I’ll head out there in August, and then see what happens. There will be a lot of really great players there. I’ll give it a shot to make a good impression and make that team. Representing the U.S. would be a great honor and a really cool thing for me.”

On his summer plans…
“I’m going to stay off the ice for a little while. It was pretty hectic with the Memorial Cup, the combine and the NHL draft, so it’ll be nice to be able to relax a bit now. I’ll keep training in the gym over the next few weeks and then get back on the ice. I’ve got the Flames’ camp coming up at the end of July, then head off right away for the U.S. junior camp, then it’s getting ready for the next season.”

Jesse Watts
whl.ca

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Canadian Hockey League 2008