PDA

View Full Version : EARLY Predictions on East Division

patsdude114
07-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I know waaaaaaay to early to be even thinking this but im going hockey crazy during the offseason and want to talk some hockey.

How i think the East Division will look (standings wise)

Brandon
Regina
Swift Current
Saskatoon
Moose Jaw
Prince Albert

I think the top 3 in our division can go any way, but i think Brandon will win our division. Brandon in my eyes has the best top 3 forwards returning being their kid line. Expect bigger things from that line this season.

Some Notes on East Division Teams......... (just my personal opinion)

Saskatoon
I dont think Saskatoon will be a total dissapointment another season in a row. Gillies will be back after a solid 47pts (24g) in 58 games look for him to build on that plus another Team Canada appearance. Hulak had a avg season last year more was expected out of him, I think this season him and Gillies will be 1 & 2 in team scoring both having at least 65 pts. I still think Saskatoon's defence is young look for the Blades to add a 20 yr old Dman (again). Holtby will be one of top goalies in our division. Does Reich make this team????????

Moose Jaw
Broda & Bast will be MJ main source of offense this season. With the loss of Holzapfel and most likely Knackstedt there will be big shoes to fill. But i do think Broda & Bast are more then capable. No goaltender is ready to step into the starting role between the pipes, unless MJ makes a deal for a capable goaltender it could be a rough season in MJ. The backend in MJ doesnt look to promising, unless for some ODD reason either Wishart or Ellerby gets cut from there Farm team squads MJ is going to lack alot on the defensive side and with no goaltender.

Swift Current
With a abundance (8) of quality 20 yr olds (with only 3 spots) Swift Current can get some decent talent back in return with possible deals or at least picks. Does Swift Current keep Yonkman as a 20 yr old goalie??? My guess is yes. Yonkman is the best goalie returning in our Division, guess the rest depends on the coach if he feels Guggenberger is ready to be the #1 which i dont think he is, yet..... Swift Current will once again be the fastest team in the East division and will most likely score at will with their wide open style. Only reason i am picking Swift Current to finish 3rd is cause alot of it depends on which 20 yr olds stick around. The 07/08 team was made up of ALOT of 19 yr olds does Swift Current have enough depth to make up for the loss of 8 quality players??????? (last years 3 20yr olds, and the 5 20yr olds who cant be on this team)

Prince Albert
Not really sure what to say about the Raiders... Does VERY young fit well??? Especially the Defence. Goaltending wont win them many games this year with the returning goalie being Stanford. One player I look forward to seeing play this year is Deck, see how the off-season has matured him into the better player his older brother was. Offense maybe a question mark as well with 7 possible forwards returning as a 20 yr old, and not alot of quality guys besides Robertson & possibly McDonald (depends on his attiude) the depth upfront in PA isnt that strong, maybe a mid season trade can help get PA back into the playoffs.

Brandon
Look for Clark & Lowry to be 2 of the 3 20yr olds this season. Both big parts on the team last season. But....... those are not the players i want to talk about here in Brandon........ Calvert, Glennie & Schenn these kids are the real deal and will be the top line in the WHL this season (baring injury) 64,58 & 71 pts respectively as WHL rookies look for each to build on those numbers this season and next. Could the WHL see a whole reach 100pts since oh god who knows when lol (Im sure someone will look it up in the WHL guide) I dont think all 3 will get a 100pts this season that is, but i can see Schenn getting 100 with the other 2 in the 90 range. Goaltending will be soild with both goalies returning from last season. Defence looks great also lead by Aulie & Robak. These 3 keys win the Wheat Kings the Division.

Regina
With 2 1st round draft choices in the past NHL draft Teubert and Eberle will carry the load on this team. Eberle will try to build on his 42 goal season last year. Where Teubert will take on a bigger role not only as a shutdown Dman but there is shoes to fill with Pyett gone to the AHL. The Pats are hoping Weal can be the stud he was in midget AAA. The Pats are not a offensive team by any means, for now outside of Eberle there is no proven goal scorer. I for 1 hope that Weal can take some of that off Eberle but im not expecting alot as he is a small 16 yr old forward. The Defence looks to be strong again, with the Eastern Conference Goalie of the year back in Rowat with Bosch waiting his turn, which he could get baring a trade with either himself or Rowat. The Pats have 7 possible returning 20 yr olds but really knock that down to 6 as Pyett has a contract and will be in the AHL (baring a terrible camp or injury) Bartley is the only sure fire guy returning as a 20 yr old. Hill, Doucet & MacAngus are battling for the last 2 spots. With Depape & Elder on the outside looking in. A 2nd place showing i am hoping for.

The East will be battled between 3 teams. Brandon, Regina & Swift Current...

Id love to read other people's opinion's.. Yes i know its only July 5th lol

CrazyGeorge
07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I like your write up. I think you are right regarding Swift Current. It all depends on which of the 20's will make up the three spots. Smith? Weise? Danserau? Dudas? Yonkman? McAvoy? It's a safe bet that Nelson isn't returning and Steiler has already gone to play in Europe somewhere. I think the last 3 of the list of 6 will be on the quad but depending on the status of the first three could determine trade options in my opinion. Dean is a solid GM and will make ther right moves if necessary!! Getting exciting as well!!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
You are underrating PA here.

They got 3 OA forwards that could put up big numbers next year (Mcdonald, Robertson, and Berny). They could trade one of those guys for a good defenceman, and depending if Stanford is ready, they could bring in a goalie too.

I think PA will be better than MJ this year. Maybe even SC depending on which of their guys are still here. Smith (probably gone), Weise(50/50 chance), Yonkman(depending on how good Guggenberger is), Dudas (probably back, but might get picked up as a free agent like Greg Scott did), And then Dansereau or McAvoy.

patsdude114
07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
You are underrating PA here.

They got 3 OA forwards that could put up big numbers next year (Mcdonald, Robertson, and Berny). They could trade one of those guys for a good defenceman, and depending if Stanford is ready, they could bring in a goalie too.

Bernhardt is way to lazy with a poor attitude to put up big numbers in PA. He only put up good numbers in the WHL as a 17 yr old and that was only cause he played with Petr Kalus. I was happy as hell when the Pats finally pulled the pin on Bernhardt being a Pat. Being traded twice in your career in just over then a year usually means there is a problem. Cause its not that he is a wanted guy around the league, its cause of his attitude and lazy play.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Bernhardt is way to lazy with a poor attitude to put up big numbers in PA. He only put up good numbers in the WHL as a 17 yr old and that was only cause he played with Petr Kalus. I was happy as hell when the Pats finally pulled the pin on Bernhardt being a Pat. Being traded twice in your career in just over then a year usually means there is a problem. Cause its not that he is a wanted guy around the league, its cause of his attitude and lazy play.

Regardless of how he played in Regina back in the day, he put up 49 points last year in 53 games with PA. He could end up being their best player next year.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
You might be surprised to hear this, but Bernhardt was really a dominant player when he found his niche with his line-mates and things started to click. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he stays with PA than he will get something of 80-90 points. Campese really found out what was missing in his game and he became a more complete, flashy player with value.

Fight Guy
07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Both Bernhardt and MacDonald have lots of skill...but they have to play 100% all the time if they want it to show. They both have the tendency to be lazy. Plus they have disciplinary issues. I'm not sure to what extent, but it seemed they both always do what they want, when they want. I would have loved to see them both on the Pats still, but their work ethic sent them to other teams. If they can stick to their game, they will do very well this coming season.

witness
07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
MacDonald would be a way better player if he just shut his mouth and played hockey. He couldn't be a role guy in Regina, he had to be 'the' guy. That is what he is in PA and he has played pretty well.
I have always been a fan of Bernardt. He has big league skill, tagged with beer league work effort. I still think he can be a 40 goal man if he decides that hockey is what he wants to do. The biggest problem is that Bernie is inconsistant and if PA is pinning their hopes on him, that is exactly the type of season they will have.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Truthfully, I think Brandon needs a improve their defence and goaltending to become a true #1 team. They have an excess of skilled forwards, but Robak is the only offensive guy they got on the blueline(Aulie, Erb/McCue, and Melynchuk probably wont be much of offensive contributers), and to be honest, I dont see Robak lighting the world on fire with his offensive numbers anyways.

And maybe Caligiuri isnt the guy to backstop a contender(time will tell on this one, but I think Brandon will need better goaltending if they want to go far).

Come the deadline(or earlier), Brandon will need to pick up a top pairing defenceman that can contribute offensively. Vancouver looks to be a good trading partner, perhaps they could give away Regner in exchange for a top 6 forward. and Brandon will probably need a top goaltender. (maybe Rowat lol)

Of course, all of this is speculation. Anything could happen. If my prediction is right, someone owes me a cookie.

As for the other teams, Regina and SC are wildcards. They still have alot of roster tinkering to do before the season starts. Pats gotta trade a goaltender and trade a couple overagers, and SC needs to solve their OA situation, and find out who is actually coming back.

MJ doesnt look too scary this year, PA looks too young, and Saskatoon still needs to make changes to become a legitimate threat for a playoff spot.

Broncs in RD
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Well with Weiss already returning my other two 20's will be Yonkman, Dudas/Dans. Along with our kid line of Eakin/Dowling/Wudrick.

sbtatter
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Well with Weiss already returning my other two 20's will be Yonkman, Dudas/Dans. Along with our kid line of Eakin/Dowling/Wudrick.
Could be a tough year in Swift....

agent
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
With the Pats breaking in a new coach they will drop.
With the Warriors getting back Knackstedt and possibly Holzapfel , Hunchak will make a good run by getting someone like Yonkman from Swift . vci34

I know waaaaaaay to early to be even thinking this but im going hockey crazy during the offseason and want to talk some hockey.

How i think the East Division will look (standings wise)

Brandon
Regina
Swift Current
Saskatoon
Moose Jaw
Prince Albert

I think the top 3 in our division can go any way, but i think Brandon will win our division. Brandon in my eyes has the best top 3 forwards returning being their kid line. Expect bigger things from that line this season.

Some Notes on East Division Teams......... (just my personal opinion)

Saskatoon
I dont think Saskatoon will be a total dissapointment another season in a row. Gillies will be back after a solid 47pts (24g) in 58 games look for him to build on that plus another Team Canada appearance. Hulak had a avg season last year more was expected out of him, I think this season him and Gillies will be 1 & 2 in team scoring both having at least 65 pts. I still think Saskatoon's defence is young look for the Blades to add a 20 yr old Dman (again). Holtby will be one of top goalies in our division. Does Reich make this team????????

Moose Jaw
Broda & Bast will be MJ main source of offense this season. With the loss of Holzapfel and most likely Knackstedt there will be big shoes to fill. But i do think Broda & Bast are more then capable. No goaltender is ready to step into the starting role between the pipes, unless MJ makes a deal for a capable goaltender it could be a rough season in MJ. The backend in MJ doesnt look to promising, unless for some ODD reason either Wishart or Ellerby gets cut from there Farm team squads MJ is going to lack alot on the defensive side and with no goaltender.

Swift Current
With a abundance (8) of quality 20 yr olds (with only 3 spots) Swift Current can get some decent talent back in return with possible deals or at least picks. Does Swift Current keep Yonkman as a 20 yr old goalie??? My guess is yes. Yonkman is the best goalie returning in our Division, guess the rest depends on the coach if he feels Guggenberger is ready to be the #1 which i dont think he is, yet..... Swift Current will once again be the fastest team in the East division and will most likely score at will with their wide open style. Only reason i am picking Swift Current to finish 3rd is cause alot of it depends on which 20 yr olds stick around. The 07/08 team was made up of ALOT of 19 yr olds does Swift Current have enough depth to make up for the loss of 8 quality players??????? (last years 3 20yr olds, and the 5 20yr olds who cant be on this team)

Prince Albert
Not really sure what to say about the Raiders... Does VERY young fit well??? Especially the Defence. Goaltending wont win them many games this year with the returning goalie being Stanford. One player I look forward to seeing play this year is Deck, see how the off-season has matured him into the better player his older brother was. Offense maybe a question mark as well with 7 possible forwards returning as a 20 yr old, and not alot of quality guys besides Robertson & possibly McDonald (depends on his attiude) the depth upfront in PA isnt that strong, maybe a mid season trade can help get PA back into the playoffs.

Brandon
Look for Clark & Lowry to be 2 of the 3 20yr olds this season. Both big parts on the team last season. But....... those are not the players i want to talk about here in Brandon........ Calvert, Glennie & Schenn these kids are the real deal and will be the top line in the WHL this season (baring injury) 64,58 & 71 pts respectively as WHL rookies look for each to build on those numbers this season and next. Could the WHL see a whole reach 100pts since oh god who knows when lol (Im sure someone will look it up in the WHL guide) I dont think all 3 will get a 100pts this season that is, but i can see Schenn getting 100 with the other 2 in the 90 range. Goaltending will be soild with both goalies returning from last season. Defence looks great also lead by Aulie & Robak. These 3 keys win the Wheat Kings the Division.

Regina
With 2 1st round draft choices in the past NHL draft Teubert and Eberle will carry the load on this team. Eberle will try to build on his 42 goal season last year. Where Teubert will take on a bigger role not only as a shutdown Dman but there is shoes to fill with Pyett gone to the AHL. The Pats are hoping Weal can be the stud he was in midget AAA. The Pats are not a offensive team by any means, for now outside of Eberle there is no proven goal scorer. I for 1 hope that Weal can take some of that off Eberle but im not expecting alot as he is a small 16 yr old forward. The Defence looks to be strong again, with the Eastern Conference Goalie of the year back in Rowat with Bosch waiting his turn, which he could get baring a trade with either himself or Rowat. The Pats have 7 possible returning 20 yr olds but really knock that down to 6 as Pyett has a contract and will be in the AHL (baring a terrible camp or injury) Bartley is the only sure fire guy returning as a 20 yr old. Hill, Doucet & MacAngus are battling for the last 2 spots. With Depape & Elder on the outside looking in. A 2nd place showing i am hoping for.

The East will be battled between 3 teams. Brandon, Regina & Swift Current...

Id love to read other people's opinion's.. Yes i know its only July 5th lol

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-14-2008, 12:58 AM
Hate to crap all over your birthday cake, but a run is very unlikely for the warriors next season.

You aren't getting Knackstedt back. He will be in Providence next year, being that he is eligible for the AHL as a 20 year old, and did well in his stint in providence after Mj's post season. As for Holzapfel, his totals dipped a bit, but he still made the World junior team. I could see him sticking in the AHL since the Thrasher prospect depth is low and he is one of their top prospects as it is.

Hell, you might not even get grantham back. NHL teams usually start developing their goons early. Though I bet he is back just like Mclaren was last year.

Toswammi
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
You can add Levi Nelson to that list of Boston forward prospects BTW. Remember there is the ECHL as an option for the kids as well.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I could ask you the same question.

This guy is wrong if he is saying Knackstedt must return to junior if he doesnt make the Bruins out of camp. 1.Knackstedt is going to be 20 (all 88s are thought of as 20 year olds next year, even the late ones), therefore eligible for the AHL, and 2.he showed he is definitely good enough to play the pros. 3.I would also like to add that he is ahead of some of the guys on the depth chart penciled in on providence next year.

Really, this is just some guys opinion. Unless it is the GM stating this as a fact, its just a projection by a sports writer. Not fact. The knackstedt bit you included is an error, and I wouldnt hold my breath for him to come back to suit up for the warriors.

Still a possibility for his return if he has a bad camp but otherwise he will be in providence next year.

patsdude114
07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Sixth pick (seventh round), 189th overall, in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft...Must return to his junior team in Moose Jaw if he does not make the Boston roster out of training camp.

Your comment here is dead wrong, last season what you said would of been true.... but this year as he is a 20 yr old he is free to play where ever he wants in pro hockey.. heck if he wanted to he could go overseas and play in the Norway Hockey League (if they got a pro league lol) if he choose too. With the success he had after the warriors post season was done in Providence i wouldnt expect him back in MJ next season.... He has great size and can move very well for a big player plus he has finish to put the puck in the net... sorry warrior fan dont expect him or holzapfel back at all...

agent
08-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Hate to crap all over your birthday cake, but a run is very unlikely for the warriors next season.

You aren't getting Knackstedt back. He will be in Providence next year, being that he is eligible for the AHL as a 20 year old, and did well in his stint in providence after Mj's post season. As for Holzapfel, his totals dipped a bit, but he still made the World junior team. I could see him sticking in the AHL since the Thrasher prospect depth is low and he is one of their top prospects as it is.

Hell, you might not even get grantham back. NHL teams usually start developing their goons early. Though I bet he is back just like Mclaren was last year.

here is the link to the roster at this point.
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=165445&sc=9

Following the annual Black & White game, the Moose Jaw Warriors have 29 players left in camp.

They have four goalies: Deven Dubyk (91), Brandon Glover (92), Kevin Jebson (89), Todd Mathews (90);

11 defencemen: Ty Ariss (90), Clint Atkinson (91), Paul Bonar (91), Connor Cox (92), Travis Hamonic (90), Dylan McIlrath (92), Tyler Miller (91), Kevin Smith (91), Ryan Stanton (89), Chad Suer (90), Brett Ward (88).

and 14 Forwards: Jason Bast (89), Joel Broda (89), Martin Filo (89), Evan Fuller (88), Ryley Grantham (88), Quinton Howden (92), Tomas Karpov (89), Jordan Knackstedt (88),Nathan MacMaster (92), Giffen Nyren (89), Neal Prokop (90), Riley Reinbolt (91), Cory Scott (91), Brian Sommers (90).

That isn’t counting overagers Riley Holzapfel, Keaton Ellerby or Ty Wishart who are all expected to move to the pro ranks this season.

Those three will join the team at Tuesday's practice.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-26-2008, 01:52 PM
here is the link to the roster at this point.
http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=165445&sc=9

Following the annual Black & White game, the Moose Jaw Warriors have 29 players left in camp.

They have four goalies: Deven Dubyk (91), Brandon Glover (92), Kevin Jebson (89), Todd Mathews (90);

11 defencemen: Ty Ariss (90), Clint Atkinson (91), Paul Bonar (91), Connor Cox (92), Travis Hamonic (90), Dylan McIlrath (92), Tyler Miller (91), Kevin Smith (91), Ryan Stanton (89), Chad Suer (90), Brett Ward (88).

and 14 Forwards: Jason Bast (89), Joel Broda (89), Martin Filo (89), Evan Fuller (88), Ryley Grantham (88), Quinton Howden (92), Tomas Karpov (89), Jordan Knackstedt (88),Nathan MacMaster (92), Giffen Nyren (89), Neal Prokop (90), Riley Reinbolt (91), Cory Scott (91), Brian Sommers (90).

That isn’t counting overagers Riley Holzapfel, Keaton Ellerby or Ty Wishart who are all expected to move to the pro ranks this season.

Those three will join the team at Tuesday's practice.

That doesnt really mean anything. Pyetts in the pats camp right now, but that doesnt mean he is staying.

I guess the only real way to find out is waiting but I still think that a guy like Knackstedt is better off in pros than junior again, and Im sure the management of the bruins might agree.

CJSenterprise4
08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
But in PA...McDonald is the biggest joke since Yashin for the Isles. That guy shows less passion for the game than anyone and him being 20 this year i would be suprised if PA is bad and he doesn't get traded at the deadline if he finishes the season.

Excited to get hockey going again!

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
But in PA...McDonald is the biggest joke since Yashin for the Isles. That guy shows less passion for the game than anyone and him being 20 this year i would be suprised if PA is bad and he doesn't get traded at the deadline if he finishes the season.

Excited to get hockey going again!

Do you watch him play hockey live on a daily basis? The guy works hard for the Raiders. He's annoying cause he's everywhere on the ice and in your face. Not sure what he's like on the road, but at home, we get the upmost effort out of him.

nivek_wahs
08-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Excited to get hockey going again!Are you joking?

CJSenterprise4
08-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Am i joking..NO.

Did you see him play in Regina last year? Does not backcheck at all...if losing does not try at all. Pats blew out the Raiders a few times last year and he pretty much took a dumb penalty or did something stupid to get out of the game or sit in the box for the end of the game. Like Tim Kraus that guy was brutal last year...hated the loser. Weak backcheck and did not like him at all. Sure he could pass to Eberle but that doesn't impress me very much.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Am i joking..NO.

Did you see him play in Regina last year? Does not backcheck at all...if losing does not try at all. Pats blew out the Raiders a few times last year and he pretty much took a dumb penalty or did something stupid to get out of the game or sit in the box for the end of the game. Like Tim Kraus that guy was brutal last year...hated the loser. Weak backcheck and did not like him at all. Sure he could pass to Eberle but that doesn't impress me very much.Ever heard the phrase "harder than it looks"? There was a reason the pats went out and traded Schira for him.

Kraus was one of the best playmakers in the league. If you put an average center on a line with Eberle, he definitely would not have reached the 40 goal mark(guys were really on him near the second half of the season), and on the other side of the coin...when they had paired Kraus with leffler and hill, both those guys never had any idea where they needed to be. Kraus was a more smooth offensive player, and you never really notice it until you have him paired with guys that are offensively clueless in comparison.

Infact, Kraus made it look easy...which is why short sighted people like you assume that he wasnt doing anything out there. It can actually be pretty hard to find an opening on a guy like eberle, who always has at least 2 players on him...nevermind actually setting up the play with him in the fluid, almost effortless way that Tim could do.

Though its not like its hard to go unnoticed when you play with a guy like Jordan.

As for Mcdonald, the pats shut him down pretty good most of the games. He was one of their best players, and he got clobbered everytime he touched the puck. If it seemed like he wasnt trying, he was probably frustrated from being knocked out everytime he tried to do something.